Gamrot vs Poirier

I realize it’s not the be all, and end all. But the gaunlet has been dropped by Dustin. And picked up by Islam.

I believe we see Islam vs. Poirier as well.
Islam wants to be active and fight in June. Either UFC 302 (June 1st) or Saudi FN (June 22).

Hard to see Gaethje, Charles, Arman, or Max being ready to fight by then.

Unless of course, one of the fights is lopsided and ends within the 1st round.

I hope he gets the title shot, or maybe another just bleed match up with a stand and bang opponent.

Islam likely handles him like Khabib, but if they get into a standing firefight, it could be interesting imo.

Islam wants to be active and fight in June. Either UFC 302 (June 1st) or Saudi FN (June 22).

I don't think Poirier gets to skip ahead in line off a 1 fight streak against a guy outside the top 10. The UFC used Oliveira and Gaethje to add value to 300 but they were both already waiting for title shots.

I like that. Gaethje should get Islam next so this would make sense.

It’s a pretty small window between 300 and SA. It would probably be best to assume the winners of those two fights at 300 will not be ready for a TS in late June (Assuming the fight happens in SA). That’s going from a full TC against another elite opponent into another TC for a TS.

That’s generally not ideal.

And it depends on if the UFC wants to see what happens at 300? They could, but anybody challenging Islam in June after fighting on 300. Is already at a disadvantage even if they come out of 300 mostly unscathed.

if he wanted to be active he'd have fought in february or january, what he wants is to fight his top contenders on short turn arounds. which why he said he wanted to fight in june after armen, charles and gaethje was booked for april (said nothing about june before) This way he'll either get; someone who is not a top contender (dustin or gamrot) or a top contender on a 8 week turn around.

Izzy tried the same thing on Dricus, Dricus couldn't make it so he took a Perceived easier fight against strickland, of course this back fired, but the intent was there.

I don't think Poirier gets to skip ahead in line off a 1 fight streak against a guy outside the top 10. The UFC used Oliveira and Gaethje to add value to 300 but they were both already waiting for title shots.
He could get it purely due to timing.

If Jones had been healthy and Conor wasn't holding out for whatever reason, Charles and Gaethje would not have been booked for 300. But it is what it is, so now Dustin is the one left standing and ready to fight by June.

I don't mind it for Islam. Volk had washed Korean Zombie as a defense.

However, based on merit, you are right, Dustin doesn't deserve it.

If Jones had been healthy and Conor wasn't holding out for whatever reason, Charles and Gaethje would not have been booked for 300. But it is what it is, so now Dustin is the one left standing and ready to fight by June.

Sure, Volk got ONE layup but only after he beat max twice and ortega. Islam has had the title almost 2 years by the time he has fought and has not fought a legit number 1 LW once yet. I know charles pulling out is not his fault, but choosing to fight volk rather than a LW was his decision.

Sure, Volk got ONE layup but only after he beat max twice and ortega. Islam has had the title almost 2 years by the time he has fought and has not fought a legit number 1 LW once yet. I know charles pulling out is not his fault, but choosing to fight volk rather than a LW was his decision.
I'm being generous anyway, comparing Dustin to TKZ. Dustin is still a top 5 LW.

But that's not important, what's funny is you think that it was Islam's choice who he fought on short notice. If it was Islam's choice and not the UFC they wouldn't have given Alex the keys to the Brinks truck and instead went with Gamrot. Or if it was Islam's choice, an old, non-champ, no ground game Poirier would have been the better choice.

It's all moot because no other champ or fighter is held to this standard for short notice fights lol hell, some fighters pull out of the card entirely.

To characterize Makhachev as avoiding LWs because the short notice opponent was not a LW for the fight he signed up for when it was against literally the top LW contender is hilarious.

And now you guys are unironically doing the It's Always Sunny cork board and yarn meme about how this was all part of Makhachevs to wait for these oh so dangerous guys he avoided to sign up for fights, guys like Oliveira and Arman. And then Gaethje thrown in for good measure. Then right in the next thread, it's about how Gaethje is a gimme for Islam because of his poor ground game.
This whole ducking or avoiding accusations is getting boring.
1710275329268.png
Let me tell you about Makhachevs advanced ducking! I swear it makes sense!

There's other champs to book. Jones, Aspinall, DDP, Leon. I don't see them rushing Islam in against an undeserving contender when they can just wait another month for Oliveira/Arman winner.

I thought that was a good idea too until I was informed they are teammates and apparently pretty good friends.

There's other champs to book. Jones, Aspinall, DDP, Leon. I don't see them rushing Islam in against an undeserving contender when they can just wait another month for Oliveira/Arman winner.
I think they are trying to make things work with Abu Dhabi.

They don't want to wait too long and have them fight in July or August and then something happens where they can't have Islam in Abu Dhabi.

As a stay busy fight, I don't mind it since the other guys are occupied. If they were free, then yeah, I am against giving DP a TS.

I think they are trying to make things work with Abu Dhabi.

They don't want to wait too long and have them fight in July or August and then something happens where they can't have Islam in Abu Dhabi.

As a stay busy fight, I don't mind it since the other guys are occupied. If they were free, then yeah, I am against giving DP a TS.

The next Abu Dhabi card is in August and it's a fight night.

But that's not important, what's funny is you think that it was Islam's choice who he fought on short notice.
yeah but islam literally said he chose volk instead of gamrot. he said it at the press conference.

And yeah he's absolutely doing an advanced duck, don't really care if you want to acknowledge it or not.

yeah but islam literally said he chose volk instead of gamrot. he said it at the press conference.

And yeah he's absolutely doing an advanced duck, don't really care if you want to acknowledge it or not.
I mean of course both fighters "choose" by having to sign contracts and all that, but if you think that Islam could have told them "no, I don't want the very popular Volk as a replacement for your yearly high profile AD card, give me Gamrot" and they would have said "oh ok, sure" then you are smoking something.

In the end, you are right, who cares. He smashed Oliveira, beat Volk, soon he will fight either Dustin if it works out or wait for Charles vs Oliveira winner and likely go in as a big favorite against them. Then he has Justin if he wins. Possibly Gamrot after that. Looks like some great matchups.

The only thing I agree with regarding Makh is that he should have fought sooner after the short notice Volk fight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luciusaugustus
Back