• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media 11 years ago, George St-pierre defeated Nick Diaz in a highly anticipated fight.

Versez

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score

Crazy...11 years ago already, i remember back then it made a big hype and was highly anticipated in Montreal, since Nick Diaz was the Strikeforce champion back then if i remember correctly.

Super undeserved title shot. This was not highly anticipated by me and was clearly written on the wall. This was after Carlos Condit beat Nick and Nick complained about the fight. This was Nick Diaz third fight upon his return. Looked great against BJ, looked horrible against Carlos and was gifted title shot he didn't deserve, complained during the lead up, complained after losing.

Super undeserved title shot. This was not highly anticipated by me and was clearly written on the wall. This was after Carlos Condit beat Nick and Nick complained about the fight. This was Nick Diaz third fight upon his return. Looked great against BJ, looked horrible against Carlos and was gifted title shot he didn't deserve, complained during the lead up, complained after losing.

iirc bj gassed in the second but won and was in control in the first (or it was the Fitch fight?).
the ts made sense because Nick was still a BIG name having fought and done well already in every major organization and coming as Elite XC-Strikeforce ww champion but i agree that after the Condit's fight it lost every appeal (+ everyone with two brain cells knew that Nick wasn't going to win).

Nick Diaz was super dangerous at that time. His run in Strikeforce was nuts, he had good hands and freakish cardio. Condit fought a really smart and evasive fight to get the decision before this, but I was still worried as a GSP fan. Then GSP did what he always does and executed perfectly and just nullified him. That version of Nick Diaz was a problem though, way better than any version of Nate we saw.

iirc bj gassed in the second but won and was in control in the first (or it was the Fitch fight?).
the ts made sense because Nick was still a BIG name having fought and done well already in every major organization and coming as Elite XC-Strikeforce ww champion but i agree that after the Condit's fight it lost every appeal (+ everyone with two brain cells knew that Nick wasn't going to win).
When Nick was in Strikeforce, I made a thread about how he would get dog walked by BJ and was resurrected after the fight. Condit was scheduled to fight BJ and Nick stepped in his place. UFC wanted Nick vs. GSP, but GSP got injured. Condit and Nick was for the interim title. Carlos Ruined their plans. UFC still wanted to get something out of Nick's name and gave him the much undeserved title fight. Not looking, but I believe the buy rate was over 700K, I just remember Nick stating GSP was an athlete and not a fighter and he couldn't believe that lady in Lodi told him GSP would win lol.

Easily. Like ridiculous easy training session for GSP

It was a dominating performance by GSP who also didn't take any risk for a finish. It was embarrassing for Diaz really.
Failed to deliver. Yes, Nick had nothing for GSP.

Reactions: mkt
Nick, not pressing to finish GSP, was the main problem.

A real "Suck" look for Nick. He blew his legit shot at taking the belt at that time from a great champion among KILLER fighters in that division.

Noobs just don't know how bad/good it was back then.​

Last edited:
TS trying to sell us wolf tickets.

Title shot was definitely undeserved, but there was enough hype to make money off of it. GSP basically cherry picked this fight because he knew he would dominate and make good $$.

And funnily enough GSP shut down Diaz with boxing (mostly his jab) while that's supposed to be one of Diaz' strengths.
Yeah... that had to be horrifying for a Diaz fan to see.

And funnily enough GSP shut down Diaz with boxing (mostly his jab) while that's supposed to be one of Diaz' strengths.

Only after the first 2 rounds of GSP taking Nick down and controlling him on the ground, the threat of the takedown always does that against strikers.

Nick did have one moment in the fight on the feet, that shook George, making him go back to to his coveted ground game.

This was the first fight I followed the build up to (before that just watched old JMMA/Strikeforce old fights on youtube). I liked GSP and wanted to watch his next fight, but became a Diaz fan during the build up. The telephone conference call is still one of the best pre-fight conferences ever lol. "You educated fool" from GSP and "pampered the fuck up" from Nick.

And tomorrow it will be eleven years and one day! And the day after 11 years and two days!

Isn't that amazing?

Back