Has Alex Surpassed Izzy's legacy?

Just curious, does anybody know if Pereira has the body type to even move up to HW? Its obvious he has dynamite in his fists, could he be the first 3 division champ?
He was 230 in the cage in his last fight. Even at that weight he's lean, so yeah, he does have the body type to fight at HW when you consider that division is filled with fatasses.

If Yoel fought Poatan and actually wrestled, that would be interesting. Joel would stay standing as he had no fight IQ.

**It's really a matter of opinion.
Even before their 4th (combat sports) fight, I said that Pereira should win as long as he doesn't open himself up too much to Izzy's sharper/faster strikes.

I still contend that Alex has a 90% chance of beating the Nigerian-Kiwi if he stalks Adesanya and doesn't overextend.

I'd have to go back and re-watch; but I don't remember remember him having too much trouble with Blachowicz's judo (his initial base) and BJJ black belts.

Izzy came to the UFC ranked 11-0 with his 10th fight being against Melvin Guillard... at 185 lbs... in 2017.

Conversely Poatan came into the UFC 3-1 and by his 11th fight has won then (IMO) foolishly lost the MW belt; and is handling 205ers with relative ease defending his newly won LHW belt.

Does that make his legacy better?
I think so; but I understand the argument against it.

What great wrestlers has Izzy fought? Zero.

Fair point!

That said, I believe that Gastelum did well in JuCo, Romero (I know we all saw the fight,) and Brunson had a very successful college career (just looked him up and apparently he was also a competitive cheerleader in high school)

not even a complete thought; but...

Last edited:
I don't like Izzy, he's childish, unprofessional and he has a major chip on his shoulder. Huge fan of Pereira in and outside of the cage but Izzy's roster of opponents is undeniably superior. It might not have been aesthetic at times but they were convincing wins.

Alex by far.

looking back Izzy fighting Yoel was just embarassing.
he was running inside the cage for the most part of the fight and had no shame post fight interview to say Yoel's leg is done.
Yoel was already 2 old and was not able to run after him

Last edited:
Probably not quite yet tbh, but it’s much much closer than many will care to admit.

Izzy has the decent length MW reign with defences which Pereira can’t match.

However Izzy’s 1st reign was ended by Pereira and moving up and capturing the LHW title was something Izzy tried and failed to do.

He managed what Izzy couldn’t and if he clears out the LHW top 5 ( he’s beat 3 so far) then there’s a definite shout.

Interesting thought.

Izzy is miles ahead at mw title defenses and has kod alex

But on the other hand, alex has also KOd izzy, and has had success at lhw where izzy tried and failed.

I think izzy still has the better record, but alex is within 1 fight of surpassing him kinda thing.

Adesanya has 8 titles wins and cleaned out his division.

Alex has 3 titles wins. And got cherry picked paths to both belts.

Doesn’t say much about Izzy if he couldn’t capture the LHW belt with an even easier path then does it.

Izzy had to face Jan, failed.

Pereira had to face Jan and sherdog darling Jiri, and new.

Not even sure it makes sense to compare them.

Izzy built his legacy tall by having a ton title defence.

Alex built his wide by having success in twi divisions.

Reactions: HHJ
Not even sure it makes sense to compare them.

Izzy built his legacy tall by having a ton title defence.

Alex built his wide by having success in twi divisions.
Alex had better competition. Jiri and Hill would starch all of Izzy's opponents.

Alex beat Jan too

I dont really look at comparing them too much. People always wanna get the shovels out anytime a big win happens. There are parallels and there are differences...and both of them are still active fighters so the story isnt even over.

Well he went 1 and 1 against izzy at MW and doesn't have as many quality wins so based on 1+1 = 2 logic, no.

Doesn’t say much about Izzy if he couldn’t capture the LHW belt with an even easier path then does it.

Izzy had to face Jan, failed.

Pereira had to face Jan and sherdog darling Jiri, and new.

Easier path? Izzy had to go on a 9 fight winstreak against 8 ranked opponents and PFL champ to get there.

Alex got a number 1 contendership in ELEVATION fight coming off a loss

Given multiple wins over Adesanya, and belts in multiple divisions (potentially three), I’d say yes

Why do people keep bringing up Izzy losing before he knocked out Alex as if Izzy wasn’t beating Alex every single time before he got beat?

Why do people keep bringing up Izzy losing before he knocked out Alex as if Izzy wasn’t beating Alex every single time before he got beat?
Alex was beating Izzy worse than Izzy ever beat him. Izzy was actually getting destroyed.

I he has only one title defense, so not yet. There's also a whole division of fighters left he hasn't beaten yet. I think he has potential to do it but he's 36 so unless he gets very active I'm not sure he will get 4 more defenses in before his age starts showing.

Back