Economy The collapse of downtown Los Angeles

I live in LA and it certainly has its issues and is gradually getting worse in some parts. But this vid is pretty skewed in the sense that this dude is basically walking down skid row, which as far as I know has always been a massive shithole. You can easily go a few blocks north or east and be in Chinatown, little Tokyo or the arts district, which are generally pretty nice places with a ton of booming businesses, those are still considered downtown. A better/more realistic depiction of LAs problems would be to go through Hollywood where there’s a still a lot of homeless people/crime just posted up on the streets in a really populated area with tons of businesses, wealth and tourism.

Last edited:
To be fair ever since I was a kid DTLA has been a shit hole. It had a mini renaissance when they built the Staples Center, but let's be serious there's no reason to go to that area unless you're forced to work there or unless the Lakers/Kings/and soon to be gone Clippers are playing, or something is happening at the Convention Center. Staples Center/Crypto.com Arena is a second rate music venue to the point people would rather play the old ass Forum instead. DTLA is filthy, full of homeless, drug addicts, dilapidated buildings, the public transportation is sketchy, and quite frankly isn't that interesting compared to other major cities and is ugly AF.
The broad helped out a lot too. A lot of downtown has gentrified a lot (not sure last time you were there), Arts District, K Town, edges of the Fashion District, obviously LA Live added to what Staples did.

The broad helped out a lot too. A lot of downtown has gentrified a lot (not sure last time you were there), Arts District, K Town, edges of the Fashion District, obviously LA Live added to what Staples did.

Arts district is probably the only place I’d consider living in in downtown. Unless you work right there and can bike/walk to work I don’t really understand why people choose to live there. I’m on the northeast side and it’s much better while still being maybe a 15 minute drive from downtown. Silverlake, Los Feliz, echo park, highland park, south pas, Pasadena, Glendale and eagle rock are all really good places to live. Even Lincoln heights, glassel park and Boyle heights are generally pretty safe and only getting better.

Arts district is probably the only place I’d consider living in in downtown. Unless you work right there and can bike/walk to work I don’t really understand why people choose to live there. I’m on the northeast side and it’s much better while still being maybe a 15 minute drive from downtown. Silverlake, Los Feliz, echo park, highland park, south pas, Pasadena, Glendale and eagle rock are all really good places to live. Even Lincoln heights, glassel park and Boyle heights are generally pretty safe and only getting better.
Yeah, Boyle Heights has probably gentrified the most out of all those neighborhoods, for better or worse. Plus the 6th St Bridge is only going to speed that up. K Town is nice too and still relatively affordable, but it will be interesting to see what happens as the Koreans slowly filter out and what replaces those businesses.

The only reason my commute into the Arts District was manageable pre-Covid was because I was hybrid and could go to and from work later than most.

Yeah, Boyle Heights has probably gentrified the most out of all those neighborhoods, for better or worse. Plus the 6th St Bridge is only going to speed that up. K Town is nice too and still relatively affordable, but it will be interesting to see what happens as the Koreans slowly filter out and what replaces those businesses.

The only reason my commute into the Arts District was manageable pre-Covid was because I was hybrid and could go to and from work later than most.

Ktown is fun to party in but it’s way too crowded for me. Parking there is a nightmare lol. I really only go there anymore if I’m going to the wiltern.

I’ve always heard that downtown LA was bad, but it didn’t look it when I drove through a while back. Granted, I didn’t get near skid row

Here is a video showing what downtown Los Angeles looks like now.

"A severe business exodus from downtown Los Angeles is accelerating day by day........but after 2020 the area began to experience an economic and social decline to the point of complete collapse."

Is this what a healthy economy is supposed to look like?

This video is nonsense.

Just went to LA after a decade. 15 years ago there was NOTHING downtown LA. Zero reason to go after business hours.

Now there are so many residential condos, restaurants, bars, a functioning train system.

Downtown LA has NEVER been a place to go, its now starting to look like a city.

"A severe business exodus from downtown Los Angeles is accelerating day by day........but after 2020 the area began to experience an economic and social decline to the point of complete collapse."

It's almost as if a "healthy economy" is a lot more complex than having a big and growing GDP. It's almost as if, it's way more about how GDP and resources are distributed throughout an economy, that determines the quality of life for the people in that nation.

The US per capita GDP is over double that of Japan's. And yet Japan is considered one of the safest, cleanest, most beautiful countries on the planet. They don't have hundreds of thousands of people living on the streets. They don't have dilapidated major cities. Because even though their GDP is so much less than ours (both total and per capita) the way in which their economy is structured ensures a wider distribution of resources, whereas in the US those resources are hyper concentrated at the very top.

White people and Starbucks
Likely but it doesn't have to be. Chinatown is unique about socal ethnic enclaves in that the younger generation hasn't filled in the void. You see this in Little Saigon or Korea town with newer restaurants but not really in Chinatown. Also Chinatown is really small smaller than probably a lot of people realize.

I live in LA and it certainly has its issues and is gradually getting worse in some parts. But this vid is pretty skewed in the sense that this dude is basically walking down skid row, which as far as I know has always been a massive shithole. You can easily go a few blocks north or east and be in Chinatown, little Tokyo or the arts district, which are generally pretty nice places with a ton of booming businesses, those are still considered downtown. A better/more realistic depiction of LAs problems would be to go through Hollywood where there’s a still a lot of homeless people/crime just posted up on the streets in a really populated area with tons of businesses, wealth and tourism.
Thought you were in Anacrime Holmes?:) OC has some ghetty parts also people would be surprised

it began 2018-2019 when the homelessness absolutely exploded downtown, and two years later, everywhere

I wonder what is democrats excuse for this. Serious question btw i'm not bashing anyone

This is Gavin Newsome's long term plan for California, gentrification on a state wide scale, turn the entire coast into a massive lawless wasteland and wait until the people are begging for salvation and then him and his handler elites can own it all and rebuild it into their beautiful freedomless authoritarian paradise
Checkmate

I think its impossible for most people to fathom how big and diverse the city of Los Angeles is, particularly people from middle America.

LA country has a population of 10 millions and covers about 8000 miles. There are more people in LA county than most US states and its by far the biggest economy.

It includes regions ranging from Santa Monica, Malibu, Pasadena, Beverly Hills, Los Feliz, Hollywood.

To suggest or think that a 5 mile radius of whats overwhelmingly been a derelict part of the county since streetcars were removed, is absurdly naive.

Back