Ever heard of Gongkwon Yusul? Korean JiuJitsu -videos-

This Korean Martial Art GongKwon does have some good merits. They teach viable techniques. Hip Throws, Arm Throws, arm bars, leg locks. Nothing wrong with that. The style often encourages sparring too which is essential. As long as they train realistic and viable techniques and encourage live sparring, I don't see a problem. And don't anybody mention this system being a rip off. Gracie Jui Jutsu clubs charge the highest prices around. They are a business.Gi's, memberships, uniform patches, it never ends. Which is why I stick to Freestyle wrestling. Submissions are great but I don't like getting ripped off, not at those prices.

he quit it all together and never again trained in it.

Dave Camarillo never went back to judo either. He finished bjj and left ralph gracie. He then combined 2 styles to make Guerilla Jujitsu. Yeah, some leave styles to participate in other. Kazuo Misaki took judo but he later joined Grabaka and participated in Pancrase matches and mma, never looking back at judo. Anderson Silva and Antonio Nogueira also took judo one time, but left it to take bjj and never went back to it as I know it. Again, you state one thing but dont know another. It does not matter whether someone leaves MA or not. GKYS like other MAs (ex. judo) does not hold people from leaving. What is your point, troll?

If your talking about Dave Camarillo.. I don't think it's possible for him to quit Judo. It's bread into him. :) Its in everything he does.

He has heavy background in judo, but as I know it he instructs Guerilla Jujitsu. He criticized both styles since his judo masters wont let him use bjj in judo matches and his bjj instructor, ralph gracie, didnt let him use judo in bjj matches. He said that both style's instructors are narrowminded and he quit both to make his own school. That is Guerilla Jujtisu.

Source: Guerilla Jujitsu: Revolutionizing Brazilian Jujitsu by Dave Camarillo
I have his book.

He has heavy background in judo, but as I know it he instructs Guerilla Jujitsu. He criticized both styles since his judo masters wont let him use bjj in judo matches and his bjj instructor, ralph gracie, didnt let him use judo in bjj matches. He said that both style's instructors are narrowminded and he quit both to make his own school. That is Guerilla Jujtisu.

Source: Guerilla Jujitsu: Revolutionizing Brazilian Jujitsu by Dave Camarillo
I have his book.

Um... yea but you missed my point. If you live and breathe Judo or wrestling or whatever for years and are good enough to compete on the world stage.... it's pretty safe to say your gonna continuously use it or be influenced by it even if you switch to another art.... especially a grappling art. That's a no brainer.

Um... yea but you missed my point. If you live and breathe Judo or wrestling or whatever for years and are good enough to compete on the world stage.... it's pretty safe to say your gonna continuously use it or be influenced by it even if you switch to another art.... especially a grappling art. That's a no brainer.

Yeah. Dave can compete in judo if he wants to, but it is a matter of choice when he left judo. Im talking about not whether or not he can go back to it, but whether he is doing or not. That would go similarly for Anderson Silva and Nogueira. They both are judo bb's. None of the 3 went back doing judo. If the GKYS bb that left wants to go back and compete in GKYS tournaments, he can. It is not a matter of can or cant but matter of whether they will or not. So far, there is no will for going back for any individuals. Will/not vs can/cant. There is a difference. Its not hard to figure this one out.

as a korean... I was chuckling watching that video..

as a korean... I was chuckling watching that video..

That MA is pretty legit, but if you still want to laugh at your own culture (if you are actually Korean), go ahead. No one else in Korea is at any loss and you are only spitting at your own face.

As a Korean, I am ashamed of people like you. I want to advise you not to come to korea, cause as you know, many people dont take kindly to insults of any aspects of korean culture. Maybe you get away by saying once or twice, but if you keep it up, you will get your ass handed over.

Yeah. Dave can compete in judo if he wants to, but it is a matter of choice when he left judo. Im talking about not whether or not he can go back to it, but whether he is doing or not. That would go similarly for Anderson Silva and Nogueira. They both are judo bb's. None of the 3 went back doing judo. If the GKYS bb that left wants to go back and compete in GKYS tournaments, he can. It is not a matter of can or cant but matter of whether they will or not. So far, there is no will for going back for any individuals. Will/not vs can/cant. There is a difference. Its not hard to figure this one out.

Dude... your still missing my point completely. I'm not talking about going back to Judo, please get that out of your head for a sec. I said he still uses Judo in everthing he does. Just like a experienced wrestler is still gonna use his wrestling in subgrappling or BJJ even if he's not competing in wrestling any more. DO you see what I'm saying now? Has nothing to do with competing in that sport anymore.

Dude... your still missing my point completely. I'm not talking about going back to Judo, please get that out of your head for a sec. I said he still uses Judo in everthing he does. Just like a experienced wrestler is still gonna use his wrestling in subgrappling or BJJ even if he's not competing in wrestling any more. DO you see what I'm saying now? Has nothing to do with competing in that sport anymore.

You sir, have missed MY point. Someone said that bb in GKYS left completely to take bjj, and he's saying as if it is something negative. My arguement is that this can happen and there is nothing wrong with it. Yes, GKYS guy in bjj can pull off what he learned in his old dojo (dojang), like Dave using judo in bjj or guerilla jj. Me and the other dude were talking about people leaving one style's school to take another. He said as if it is wrong, but all I am saying is that it happens. I dont care what Camarillo can do with his judo in Guerilla Jujitsu or bjj tourneys, it is inherently part of that system Guerillla JJ anyways, but all I am saying is that Camarillo is no longer doing judo itself despite he can and despite he pulls of judo moves in Guerilla Jujitsu classes and bjj competitions. Using judo moves in Guerilla JJ (which incorporates judo) is different than doing judo. Even bjj has judo moves. Dave was used as an example of someone leaving one style, and mentioning that it happens and there is nothing wrong with it. It has nothing to do with whether Dave pulls off judo moves in bjj or guerilla jj or he can go back go judo. What you said is not what i was arguing with the other guy. Read the threads first.

That MA is pretty legit, but if you still want to laugh at your own culture (if you are actually Korean), go ahead. No one else in Korea is at any loss and you are only spitting at your own face.

As a Korean, I am ashamed of people like you. I want to advise you not to come to korea, cause as you know, many people dont take kindly to insults of any aspects of korean culture. Maybe you get away by saying once or twice, but if you keep it up, you will get your ass handed over.

LOL WOW this is so funny
yes I'm Korean.. born in Seoul and I have lived in a lot of different places and now resides in the US..

so because I saw something that makes me laugh I'm spitting at Korean culture? get over yourself man. I study a lot of martial arts.. got my black belt in Tae Kwon Do.. I trained Muay Thai for 4 years and now doing BJJ for the last 3.. I realize what is effective style of art and what isn't. So when I see someone who is creating this "new" art, which it isn't and people who take it so seriously, yeah it makes me chuckle. Fuck, I wish I never did Tae Kwon Do and took up Judo when I was kid because it doesn't rely upon flashy kicks that don't work in a combat setting. Don't get all high almighty.. When I actually lived in Korea, I remember so many in fights between the martial arts. I remember my Tae Kwon Do instructor who always told us that how ineffective Judo in a real fight and how Hapkido wasn't as a good as Tae Kwon Do. I get why he said that.. it was the National martial art and it was the THING in Korea.. I get it man.. And I still see that shit among Koreans all the time.. Not just about Martial art but a lot of other shit. So don't get all high and mighty.

It's great people have national pride and things that are Korean. I always try to watch Judo championships and Judo Olympics because I always try to follow the Korean Judoka because being Korean.. Same thing for baseball.. I could careless about the game, but I became a Dodgers fan because Chan Ho Park.. I get it dude...

But seriously, maybe you are a Gongkwon Yusul student or something.. but my understanding and which is backed up by a lot of other Koreans who live in Korea, Gongkwon is bit of a novelty martial art and isn't taken serious at all. In a lot of times laughed at by KOREANS. So take that high mighty BS and take it some where else man. Just because its from our country doesn't mean you can't laugh at it because it looks like a novelty. Hell, watch all those early Korean movies compare to the movie that are being put out now. I love the new Korean movies and very proud that Korean cinema has came so far and putting out more interesting movies than of American cinema. But, I can't still laugh at all the SHIT ASS MOVIES that we used to make.. Those movies were C rate at best and HORRIBLE...

Maybe you need to lighten up. And if not, I guess you need to yell at all those Koreans who feel that Gongkwon Yusul is a novelty.. Or maybe you should go challenge different schools who thinks their form of Martial Art is better than that.

Or maybe you just need to take that stick out of your ass.

But seriously, maybe you are a Gongkwon Yusul student or something.. but my understanding and which is backed up by a lot of other Koreans who live in Korea, Gongkwon is bit of a novelty martial art and isn't taken serious at all. In a lot of times laughed at by KOREANS. So take that high mighty BS and take it some where else man. Just because its from our country doesn't mean you can't laugh at it because it looks like a novelty. Hell, watch all those early Korean movies compare to the movie that are being put out now. I love the new Korean movies and very proud that Korean cinema has came so far and putting out more interesting movies than of American cinema. But, I can't still laugh at all the SHIT ASS MOVIES that we used to make.. Those movies were C rate at best and HORRIBLE...

Maybe you need to lighten up. And if not, I guess you need to yell at all those Koreans who feel that Gongkwon Yusul is a novelty.. Or maybe you should go challenge different schools who thinks their form of Martial Art is better than that.

This pretty much sums up the last couple of days of this thread. Why the heck did a 2 year old thread need to get revived? :icon_neut

Yoder, thanks. I'm just trying not to spaz, keeping my gi clean is a challenge though.

LOL WOW this is so funny
yes I'm Korean.. born in Seoul and I have lived in a lot of different places and now resides in the US..

so because I saw something that makes me laugh I'm spitting at Korean culture? get over yourself man. I study a lot of martial arts.. got my black belt in Tae Kwon Do.. I trained Muay Thai for 4 years and now doing BJJ for the last 3.. I realize what is effective style of art and what isn't. So when I see someone who is creating this "new" art, which it isn't and people who take it so seriously, yeah it makes me chuckle. Fuck, I wish I never did Tae Kwon Do and took up Judo when I was kid because it doesn't rely upon flashy kicks that don't work in a combat setting. Don't get all high almighty.. When I actually lived in Korea, I remember so many in fights between the martial arts. I remember my Tae Kwon Do instructor who always told us that how ineffective Judo in a real fight and how Hapkido wasn't as a good as Tae Kwon Do. I get why he said that.. it was the National martial art and it was the THING in Korea.. I get it man.. And I still see that shit among Koreans all the time.. Not just about Martial art but a lot of other shit. So don't get all high and mighty.

It's great people have national pride and things that are Korean. I always try to watch Judo championships and Judo Olympics because I always try to follow the Korean Judoka because being Korean.. Same thing for baseball.. I could careless about the game, but I became a Dodgers fan because Chan Ho Park.. I get it dude...

Well, first of all I disagree about the fact that gongkwon yusul is ineffective. The brazilian GKYS master's students do well in mma. Another thing, you criticized GKYS saying it is "new" art in a sarcastic way. There is nothing wrong about creating new styles. Shootfighting is a new style by Bart Vale. In japan, they have shoot wrestling disciplines like shooto (1985) and Pancrase (1993), new modern styles that combines techniques of wrestling with full contact martial arts. Jeet Kune Do, about 3 decades ago, is a new style that combined different styles. Does that mean these new/modern styles are novelty? Are they not taken seriously? Yes, GKYS is a NEW art. It breaks the tradition of fixed syllabus, thus absorbing other techiques from other styles over a time. But that does not mean it is a novelty. (You only took words from limited amount of people) Gongkwon Yusul is a recognized fighting style that is practiced in several countries including brazil and australia. First of all, you do not understand how GKYS came about and became a martial art. It started when Master Kang, after years of martial art experiences in traditional styles figured out that each style had practical and impractical moves. So, he took the practical techniques from each style and created a unique style that combined them. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT PEOPLE DO NOT UNDERSTAND. THIS ART HAS A LEGITIMATE BACKGROUND AND HISTORY WITH PURPOSE AND IT IS NOT JUST A RANDOM STYLE WITH DIFFERENT OTHER STYLES SLAPPED ON SO MASTER CAN EARN SOME MONEY. I personally dont care how many Koreans laught at it, because most of them do not even know about it. I know that Gongkwon Yusul was first criticized in Korea because when it was created, people thought it was street fighting. And after mma and bjj culture came to korea, people are focused on mma sport and overwhelming presence of bjj. I also heard that styles like you did, bjj, is more efficient than GKYS on floor, because well all know bjj is one of the best grappling styles, but you are haste on judging Gongkwon Yusul by saying that it is not a serious martial art since it does have a serious intention to create a practical style that breaks tradition. Also, if you do muay thai, bjj, and others, thats great, but that dont mean GKYS is not effective. It has strengths and weekness of its own. GKYS lacks in strikes compared to muay thai and is weaker on ground than bjj. This is because it is a hybrid style that combines different techniques. Its strength is in well roundedness.

You just have to recognize that there are facts that you didnt know and that not everyone will agree with your assumptions.

This pretty much sums up the last couple of days of this thread. Why the heck did a 2 year old thread need to get revived? :icon_neut

Yoder, thanks. I'm just trying not to spaz, keeping my gi clean is a challenge though.

I just want to share some knowledge about what is actually being talked about. Moreover, fix some misconceptions.

Gongkwon Yusul sucks ass.

It's not an offshoot of BJJ. It's an off shoot of someone watching BJJ. i guess a few of the early UFC video tapes where Royce Gracie dominated must have made it over to korea early and the founder of gongkwon Yusul decided to try to beat them too the punch by quickly inventing his own crappy interpretation by learning from the videos and combining it with his other martial arts before BJJ and official UFC videos came over to Korea.

Kind of like those crappy imitation movies that get made and released in less than 2 weeks so they're available for rent/purchase before the real version is even in theaters.

you know the ones I mean "300: spartans" is to "300" as "Gongkwon Yusul" is to "BJJ in Korea"

You sir, have missed MY point. Someone said that bb in GKYS left completely to take bjj, and he's saying as if it is something negative. My arguement is that this can happen and there is nothing wrong with it. Yes, GKYS guy in bjj can pull off what he learned in his old dojo (dojang), like Dave using judo in bjj or guerilla jj. Me and the other dude were talking about people leaving one style's school to take another. He said as if it is wrong, but all I am saying is that it happens. I dont care what Camarillo can do with his judo in Guerilla Jujitsu or bjj tourneys, it is inherently part of that system Guerillla JJ anyways, but all I am saying is that Camarillo is no longer doing judo itself despite he can and despite he pulls of judo moves in Guerilla Jujitsu classes and bjj competitions. Using judo moves in Guerilla JJ (which incorporates judo) is different than doing judo. Even bjj has judo moves. Dave was used as an example of someone leaving one style, and mentioning that it happens and there is nothing wrong with it. It has nothing to do with whether Dave pulls off judo moves in bjj or guerilla jj or he can go back go judo. What you said is not what i was arguing with the other guy. Read the threads first.

I'm sorry, but you are an idiot... no offence. :icon_lol: I guess english is not your first luanguage or something because your not understanding what I'm saying. Nefti said Dave quit Judo and never trained it again. I simply said that Judo is ingrained in Dave to the point where it's in everything he does, which is true for most anything you dedicate the majority of your life to.... especially if it pertains to grappling like Judo does. So he hasn't actually stopped training Judo. That's what I said..... that was my meaning. How in the world could you get anything else from that. I don't give a fuck about leaving one art or coming back or whatever other shit you keep talking. That was the point. I was addressing what Nefti said.

Have you trained In this Art? I have you seem to not know what your talking about you can call Cho Sang Wook up in Yang San and ask about the half korean kid Trey if you dont believe me. GKYS is like this.

You warm up by doing stretches, pushups, hindu pushups, squats, sit-ups, then you do 3 step sparring but the other guy hits you if you dont block quickly enough and its pretty hard. After than you do some kickboxing, boxing drills with focus mats, in that gay line formation. After that you might do some lower leg kicks with your partner to toughen up the legs. that would consist of the striking classes we had. The grappling classes he would teach the armbar from mount when someone pushes you, he taught us the common americana then the armbar counter when someone reaches over to save their arm. Taught us basic ground game and shit that I learned from BJJ. Then after techniques we started sparring. One good thing about Cho Sang Wook was that he also took us out to eat and play at the batting cages some times.

I dont care if GKYS has a Bad name in the Korean Grappling community, I learned some shit that I used when I camee back hope such as the Americana with your legs from Kesa, or the near armbar from kesa or side control. Not all the Instructors are jokes man, they just suffer from the quick expansion. One thing that I dislike about it is the fact they had black belts who were 16-18 and had not even been training for 2 years.

All in all I would train in GKYS again because I believe with the right instructors it can be a very effective art and by tweaking the rule sets you will see vast improvements in quality control. If my Korean didnt suck so much I would call Master Kang my self and tell him bluntly that he is hurting the rep of his MA.

Gongkwon Yusul sucks ass.

It's not an offshoot of BJJ. It's an off shoot of someone watching BJJ. i guess a few of the early UFC video tapes where Royce Gracie dominated must have made it over to korea early and the founder of gongkwon Yusul decided to try to beat them too the punch by quickly inventing his own crappy interpretation by learning from the videos and combining it with his other martial arts before BJJ and official UFC videos came over to Korea.

Kind of like those crappy imitation movies that get made and released in less than 2 weeks so they're available for rent/purchase before the real version is even in theaters.

you know the ones I mean "300: spartans" is to "300" as "Gongkwon Yusul" is to "BJJ in Korea"

Troll. Cry more.

Back