VIDEO: Ryan Hall v Hermes Franca

These 'sagittal' (as someone so elegantly put it in a video breakdown of Rafa Mendes' game recently) back-takes from various leg entanglements are proving themselves to be very effective on the competition scene lately. I'm becoming more and more of a back-taker these days, so this is something I'll have to look more into.

Sounds like a cool thread, is there a link to it?

man it is insane how smooth his inverted guard to guard transitions are maybe ill watch some of his vids.

Don't most BJJ comps require you to get grips before you pull guard?

Probably. One of my professors specifically said this last night. You must have grips before you pull guard in competition. So it probably applies to IBJJF rules.

How did Hermes only end up with 3 points? Didn't he pass guard twice?

8:10 & 10:50

I saw this match live and I have been dying to see it again bc that back take in real time was utterly insane!! I was like "whoa huh wait noooooo" Everyone in that place was like GTFO!!

After this match I immediately sat on the warm up mats and strecthed! His felxibility is a tool that bails him out of trouble multiple times in every match

Hermes is no push over....I dont think he has a very smart game though...good instincts though

se0nn.00.gif

Props to Caposa on the UG

I've heard people call the kind of thing like oblong guard or some shit like that. Really wild move, Ryan's guard retention is truly spectacular.

I thought Ryan was going to ditch his butt scooting ways and inverted guard and shoot takedowns and work from the top?

In a strictly sport jiu jitsu sense, Ryan's style is awesome to watch, however I wouldn't show any of his videos to my mma and kickboxing friends. They would only clown it because it looks like the furthest thing from actual fighting they've seen.

I thought Ryan was going to ditch his butt scooting ways and inverted guard and shoot takedowns and work from the top?

You do what is appropriate. There are now plenty of videos out there with Ryan passing the guard/taking the back/doing double leg sweeps and finishing with collar chokes, RNCs, Darces, armbars, etc. So because he fights a guy with a strength and size advantage, uses back-takes and goes for leglocks, he's somehow not good?

I don't understand. Everyone used to give him shit for doing so many triangles, when many people would kill to have their triangle game that tight. Everyone said he was a buttscooter and only played inverted guard. Then he did the 50/50 and wrecked people's knees. Then all he does is leglock people. Then he started landing takedowns, passes, collar chokes, Darces, RNCs, top subs, etc, and God forbid he works from the bottom... I guess he's still a buttscoot player...

:icon_neut

People are gonna play what they're gonna play. If you start to focus on a new part of your game, but the old part still works well, what is wrong with doing something that has worked for you in the past? You seriously can't say this wasn't an exciting match, right? So what exactly is the problem? It's not like it made for a boring bout...

It never ceases to amaze me how critical people are of fighters/grapplers that are at the top level of their area. This goes for any other top level black belt besides Ryan, but I would bet the bank that if Ryan told the average, solid player "I am going to tap you with a cross collar or bow-and-arrow choke" he would do it. And you couldn't stop it either. All super-competitive black belts are a special breed.

In a strictly sport jiu jitsu sense, Ryan's style is awesome to watch, however I wouldn't show any of his videos to my mma and kickboxing friends. They would only clown it because it looks like the furthest thing from actual fighting they've seen.

Really? I can see if it was an average MMA fan, but a lot of MMA fighters and coaches watched that superfight and enjoyed it. My gym is an MMA gym first and foremost, and lots of people there enjoy watching sport grappling matches. If you train MMA, you are already used to training each sport/art separately, so a lot of MMA fighters enjoy sport grappling as long as it is exciting. I could see that Thai fighters or boxers might not appreciate it, but I've seen many hardcore MMA guys that love to watch exciting sport grappling, gi or no-gi, as long as it is exciting.

Really? I can see if it was an average MMA fan, but a lot of MMA fighters and coaches watched that superfight and enjoyed it. My gym is an MMA gym first and foremost, and lots of people there enjoy watching sport grappling matches. If you train MMA, you are already used to training each sport/art separately, so a lot of MMA fighters enjoy sport grappling as long as it is exciting. I could see that Thai fighters or boxers might not appreciate it, but I've seen many hardcore MMA guys that love to watch exciting sport grappling, gi or no-gi, as long as it is exciting.

Well if the mma guys do any type of submission grappling, I could see them appreciating Ryan's style because in the end, his style is effective. But the friends I made from mma class, practice just a few things in regards to grappling- takedowns, ground and pound, escapes, and sub defense. If they saw someone butt scooting or going inverted I'm sure they wouldn't see it as a viable option in a fight.

Perhaps my friends aren't as evolved yet when it comes to grappling. They don't even come watch me compete in any grappling events but when I have had a kickboxing match or a smoker mma match they are always there.

I despise Ryan Hall's style.

I probably shouldn't speak, because there are only a small hand full of grapplers whose styles I don't enjoy (those that play for points only)...

But, I WILL say that I enjoy guys that go for the finish, and attack hard and often. I don't really care if they go for Judo throws, takedowns, or if they pull guard and sweep. As long as they press the action, I am fine with it. I think all of the top Americans like Hall, Glover, Cooper, Lovato Jr., Drysdale, and Rader all have very exciting styles where they push the pace to win by submission.

Well if the mma guys do any type of submission grappling, I could see them appreciating Ryan's style because in the end, his style is effective. But the friends I made from mma class, practice just a few things in regards to grappling- takedowns, ground and pound, escapes, and sub defense. If they saw someone butt scooting or going inverted I'm sure they wouldn't see it as a viable option in a fight.

Perhaps my friends aren't as evolved yet when it comes to grappling. They don't even come watch me compete in any grappling events but when I have had a kickboxing match or a smoker mma match they are always there.

Yea see at my gym a lot of the MMA fighters also do grappling tournaments. One of my mentors at the gym is the most serious MMA guy you will meet, but he is also VERY good at BJJ, and along with most of the MMA guys, he puts on his BJJ hat during that time, his boxing hat during that time, etc.

Also, while I do not see the inverted guard ever being a staple for MMA, you would be surprised at the guards that are doing well in MMA now. I remember when people said the X-Guard or Deep Half Guard would never work in MMA, due to the ease of getting punched. But whatd'ya know, both guards have been used a hand full of times over the past year.

It never ceases to amaze me how critical people are of fighters/grapplers that are at the top level of their area. This goes for any other top level black belt besides Ryan, but I would bet the bank that if Ryan told the average, solid player "I am going to tap you with a cross collar or bow-and-arrow choke" he would do it. And you couldn't stop it either. All super-competitive black belts are a special breed.

Tall poppy syndrome (TPS) is a pejorative term used in the UK, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand to describe a social phenomenon in which people of genuine merit are resented, attacked, cut down, or criticised because their talents or achievements elevate them above or distinguish them from their peers.

Yea see at my gym a lot of the MMA fighters also do grappling tournaments. One of my mentors at the gym is the most serious MMA guy you will meet, but he is also VERY good at BJJ, and along with most of the MMA guys, he puts on his BJJ hat during that time, his boxing hat during that time, etc.

Also, while I do not see the inverted guard ever being a staple for MMA, you would be surprised at the guards that are doing well in MMA now. I remember when people said the X-Guard or Deep Half Guard would never work in MMA, due to the ease of getting punched. But whatd'ya know, both guards have been used a hand full of times over the past year.

Yeah x-guard and deep half definitely can work in an mma match. Just have to get in the position and sweep right away. You won't get punched unless you hang out there.

Back