Manly vs. Metro

f*cking good point tosa ! how dare that dude call woman manly. also what does hair have to do with manliness ? i really truthfully think being a man means

A) taking responsibility

B) getting shit done.

C) using a barbell

^ a, b and c = manly shit.

Most women would exclude A and B from most men's repertories.

Most women would exclude A and B from most men's repertories.

Most "men" aren't necessarily all that manly.

I think I'll be serious for a moment here. In the past, there were well defined roles for men and women in pretty much every society and culture. This made it easy to see what constituted manly.

However, today's society is more pluralistic and egalitarian. There aren't strictly roles for men, and roles for women. So it's difficult to judge manliness by something like "bringing home the bacon", or stoicism. Any virtue you can describe as being manly is also a virtue when seen in women. For example, Belphegor mentione responisbility and getting shit done as being manly. But irresponsibility and being lazy aren't good qualities in women, and responsibility and "getting shit doen" are.

I think this is a serious issue. A lack of a good image of what manliness is, leads idiots to think that things like "I don't floss", "I don't eat my vegetables" or "i cant rite gud" are manly. And it leads to too many of portrayals of men in the media as stupid, useless boors and/or drunken idiots.

Getting shit done, taking responsibility for the things you did, being strong physically and mentally, and not giving a fuck what other people think are definitely the most manly of qualities.

They are all good qualities for a person to possess, regardless of sex. Some women might have some of them, and many men don't have most of them. They are still the essence of manliness any way you slice it.

EDIT:
I think this is a serious issue. A lack of a good image of what manliness is, leads idiots to think that things like "I don't floss", "I don't eat my vegetables" or "i cant rite gud" are manly. And it leads to too many of portrayals of men in the media as stupid, useless boors and/or drunken idiots.
I think you are confusing manliness with stupidity. Idiots don't think the above because of a lack of "a good image of what manliness is", they think those things because they're idiots. I'm pretty sure idiots thought analogous things 50 or 100 years ago, too.

And all those men that think that way actually are stupid/useless boors/drunken idiots.

Last edited:
Idiots don't think the above because of a lack of a good image of what manliness is, they think those things because they're idiots. I'm pretty sure idiots thought those same things 50 or 100 years ago, too.

But where did the idiots get their stupid perception of manliness?

i would assume it started with some movie writer who knew nothing about being a man. sorta like the first keyboard warrior.

Rationalizing stuff like "I don't floss", "I don't eat my vegetables" or "i cant rite gud" as being manly attitudes is a strategy to reduce cognitive dissonance.

Now, everybody has an inherent tendency to try to find ways to reduce cognitive dissonance, but it is definitely what idiots are at their best at!

Why does anyone care about 'manliness'? Getting stuff done is getting stuff done and is not inherently associated with gender. Neither is a lot of other stuff mentioned here. Other than associations of the past, gender roles are moot.

Other than associations of the past, gender roles are moot.

I couldn't disagree more.

EDIT: if by "moot" you mean not strictly defined, then that's true. If you mean pointless, unimportant, without real meaning, then it's not.

Why does anyone care about 'manliness'? Getting stuff done is getting stuff done and is not inherently associated with gender. Neither is a lot of other stuff mentioned here. Other than associations of the past, gender roles are moot.

why do you not care ? their is clear difference between men and woman and always will be. while getting stuff done, taking responsibility are not inherently manly qualities the greatest men do have those two traits.

why do you not care ? their is clear difference between men and woman and always will be. while getting stuff done, taking responsibility are not inherently manly qualities the greatest men do have those two traits.

So have the greatest women. I don't care because 'manly' doesn't mean a fucking thing. It's the absurd attempt to associate virtuous qualities with a gender. (No homo.)

The concept of manliness and "manly men" can only be discussed with tongue planted firmly in cheek.

So have the greatest women. I don't care because 'manly' doesn't mean a fucking thing. It's the absurd attempt to associate virtuous qualities with a gender. (No homo.)

did i say woman do not have it ? no i didn't. however those qualities really are rare now a days in man and woman. its never anyone's own fault anymore its always somebody else. more than half of every person i have met are lazy. so how about this instead of it being manly they just make a good person, is that good ?

ps. those qualities make a boy a man and a girl a woman so manly lives !

Back