Mayweather vs. Ortiz September 17 (don't start new threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also... still waiting on those numbers with only one less reputable site offering a guess.. something fishy is going on

Lol.. I think you can see a difference if you just look at May vs. Mosley or May vs. JMM and then the May vs. Ortiz fight.. I honestly think he slowed down a touch.. and I havent confirmed it, but Im pretty sure his compu numbers will confirm that he was less accurate as well. I'm just not used to seeing him miss like he was missing..

http://compuboxonline.com/packages/ortiz-mayweather/MayweatherKO4Ortiz.pdf

I don't see comparing this fight to Marquez or Mosley though. Neither guy is a defensive wiz and in the Marquez fight for example, Floyds game was to wait and counter for much of the fight. Agaisnt Ortiz he fought aggressively and threw alot of punches.

http://compuboxonline.com/packages/ortiz-mayweather/MayweatherKO4Ortiz.pdf

I don't see comparing this fight to Marquez or Mosley though. Neither guy is a defensive wiz and in the Marquez fight for example, Floyds game was to wait and counter for much of the fight. Agaisnt Ortiz he fought aggressively and threw alot of punches.

Both Mosley and JMM are defensive gods compared to Ortiz.. and he was every bit as aggressive against Mosley as he was against Ortiz.. thanks for the link though Seano.. the jabs in particular were missing a lot

Both Mosley and JMM are defensive gods compared to Ortiz.. and he was every bit as aggressive against Mosley as he was against Ortiz.. thanks for the link though Seano.. the jabs in particular were missing a lot
eh, all three are heavy bags to be fair.
IMO, he seemed to be using the jab to set up his power punches there. Floyd was looking for the KO in that fight.

Does compubox count feints as thrown punches? That would explain the jab numbers. His power-punch numbers were exactly where I'd expect them.

I don't think Floyd fought Ortiz anything like how he fought Mosley, if only because Mosley was backing away and never gave Floyd the chance to put anything together. Against Ortiz he was putting 3, 4, 5+ punches together which is something I haven't seen him do in a while. Before the Ortiz fight he even made a statement along the lines of "I'm going to bring back the Floyd Mayweather from the 90s".

Last edited:
Almost 2 weeks since the fight and not one credible source has released the ppv numbers.

Something is definitely going on. HBO and May must be hiding............

Almost 2 weeks since the fight and not one credible source has released the ppv numbers.

Something is definitely going on. HBO and May must be hiding............

They must've pulled Silva-esque numbers.

Dan Rafeal said they were suppose to be released Monday, 3 days ago, still nothing.

private_eye_something_fishy_38455.jpg

Dan Rafeal said they were suppose to be released Monday, 3 days ago, still nothing.

again
he said Monday would be the earliest date, not that they'd be out on monday.
That's the day we got confirmation that the fight didn't go under 1.3 million
This shit happens with every fight, really think people would learn by now.

again

With only one site reporting that, and a history of hearing high estimates, I'm still not sure that this info is going to be accurate when the dust settles.. this is the longest we have ever waited to see the ppv results of a major fight.

again

from what Floyd hype.com or was it that Chris Joke character who said Mosley vs MayNever would do 3 million or maybe it was Schaffer who said 1.8 million.

Cmon now :icon_lol:

You guys are trippin over these numbers, gosh damn.

Ive never cared who sold what. I know that floyd and some other people use it as a negotiation tool but its stupid. I dont care if floyd sales 1 ppv im still gonna watch him. Or any other fighter i like.

Its so stupid because were gonna start judging fighters by their popularity rather than skill.

Ive never cared who sold what. I know that floyd and some other people use it as a negotiation tool but its stupid. I dont care if floyd sales 1 ppv im still gonna watch him. Or any other fighter i like.

Its so stupid because were gonna start judging fighters by their popularity rather than skill.

I agree... part of me thinks it's dumb as hell.. but the other part must fucking know NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dunno why

People are worried about the popularity of the sport
Also they want to know if boxing has fallen into the same PPV wasteland as the UFC as this year
If the numbers are low then we lose our bragging rights

People are worried about the popularity of the sport
Also they want to know if boxing has fallen into the same PPV wasteland as the UFC as this year
If the numbers are low then we lose our bragging rights

No.. that's not it.. Mayweather uses his numbers to demonstrate his complete control of the negotiation process. "How did they offer me anything when I do the offering"... more humbling numbers might do 2 things.. 1) convince him that he's not the only big fish in boxing and force him to come to a mutual understanding on how to negotiate rather than just dictating and expecting the other whale to respond. 2) It will convince him that the fans are responding to his avoidance of the fight of the decade in a way that effects him financially.

It has nothing to do with competing with ufc.. I personally enjoy both sports.. they aren't the same sport.. one is football.. one is baseball.. both have their place in the world.

Does compubox count feints as thrown punches? That would explain the jab numbers. His power-punch numbers were exactly where I'd expect them.

I don't think Floyd fought Ortiz anything like how he fought Mosley, if only because Mosley was backing away and never gave Floyd the chance to put anything together. Against Ortiz he was putting 3, 4, 5+ punches together which is something I haven't seen him do in a while. Before the Ortiz fight he even made a statement along the lines of "I'm going to bring back the Floyd Mayweather from the 90s".

I think Mosely was pretty much right in front of May the whole fight.. trying to use upper body movement and clenching to slow the tide of Mayweather's assault.. I thought that performance was every bit as aggressive as his performance against Ortiz.. I thought he rattled Mosley much more than he rattled Ortiz(yes I know he knocked Ortiz out, but Im talking about while each was actively engaged in the fight)..his aggression actually seemed to shock Mosley.. and take his courage.. as if Mosley only came to the dance with one plan and that plan had just failed miserably. He was actually telling Mosley to fight a few times because Mosley was trying like hell to slow the pace of the bout..lol.. Yeah that fight impressed the hell out of me.. Maybe it was the fact that Ortiz was on his toes and using good upper body movement and lateral movement that was giving May a few issues.. dunno. Like I said, I just had never seen him miss like that.. at least not while he was a champ.

I agree with Seano that he was using the jab as a range finder a bit, but I also saw him miss badly with the jab, the right, and the hook on multiple occasions.. and perhaps because he was trying to be the May from the 90's, but is pulling the trigger a bit more slowly these days.

Also, Seano Mosley is decent defensively.. he uses angles and clenching to hold most of his opponents to 25% or less.. that aint too bad... kind of hopkins esque with the holds.. swings for the fences, and clenches before he gets the bill

@Cracky

Floyd was missing with the jab on pruposed, that way Ortiz would keep slipping to the left and Floyd could crack him with the right, that couldnt miss. It was all part of his master plan, that you cant seem to grasp. He was setting traps, like when he would back up to the ropes for no reason, it was to give ortiz a false confindice, so that way he would keep coming forward and keep him for shelling up in the later rds and making it harder for floyd to get the KO. Floyd was playing Chess while Ortiz was Checkers. You will learn,that why your here to learn and We will teach you.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back