• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Marquez versus Pacquiao 3 November 12 fight discussion (DON'T START NEW ONES)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pac won, get over it.

People are just so used to him domination that seeing a close fight they cant judge it with out bias.

^This.

What i saw was Manny throwing the first punches, landing a couple, eating a few counter-punches in return, then landing a few on the way out.

Manny took it.......but just by a little.

He definitly did win, however, the record books have Manny with the W - everyone seems outraged yet this has plagued boxing for as long as it's been around

Yes you would because there's just as much as case for Pacquiao winning. Let's face it, it was a close fight. Besides, what's the old saying, don't let it go to the judges?
Most people think Marquez won, and the case for him winning is much more heavy.

"Don't leave it in the judges hands" isn't a good argument to justify ripping off fighters and fans. IMO, that's a phrase that encourages risk taking and even brawling. Marquez played it safe most of the fight and he paid for it by being ripped off, but it doesn't make it right.

Wasnt a great showing for Pacman, but I'm happy JMM didnt get the nod:

It's more about educating the ignorant really.

A sport cannot be dying or dead if 100 million people are tuning into in on the regular.

Average ratings of 1 million viewers on a premium cable channel that charges 18.99 monthly domestically doesn't equate to a dead sport. Is it a lower figure than what the sport has garnered in the past? Yes.

Does that means that it's dead?

Nope.

It just means it's popularity domestically has waned a bit but boxing has ALWAYS been a star driven sport.

ALWAYS. MMA is going that way as well.

All sports are star driven.

manny's body language at the end of the fight at the bell told it all

btw its politics like this that lost interest in boxing for me.

wasnt a great showing for pacman, but i'm happy jmm didnt get the nod:

seriously fuck off with that god dam video. It has been posted 500000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 mother fucking times in 3 days. It is the stupidiest shit i ever seen and anybody that believes that is the dumbest mother fucker in the world. Fucking noobs are ruining the world. Mods can ban me if they want, i dont care. This place is full of retards.

seriously fuck off with that god dam video. It has been posted 500000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 mother fucking times in 3 days. It is the stupidiest shit i ever seen and anybody that believes that is the dumbest mother fucker in the world. Fucking noobs are ruining the world. Mods can ban me if they want, i dont care. This place is full of retards.

I said:

"Wasnt a great showing for Pacman, but I'm happy JMM didnt get the nod:"

Then linked the video.

No reason to freak out.

cb9c3485-b883-4741-a489-391cf9367e8fChill%20Pill%20Ice%20Tray%202.jpg

Excuse for why Manny didn't do well against Marquez in the 3rd bout. But you have a point, the argument can be made that some fighters learn better than others.

But to what Amir Khan said, I agree with you that Manny shouldn't retire. He hasn't lost a step or anything. But I think what Khan was getting at is based on what he saw in Marquez 3, Pacquiao would more likely lose to Floyd if they fought. He probably doesn't want to see Manny lose to Floyd, he doesn't want to see Manny let all of his fans down. He wants to see Manny go out on top.

No argument. You said it yourself; Floyd adapts better than most. That implies varying degrees of learning and adaptation. He's not the only one with that ability. Marquez does that, as well. Their styles will always benefit more from time in the ring and experience with the opponent.

The possibility of losing is not a good reason not to fight. Isn't that exactly why Floyd was being criticized left and right, because there was a possibility he might lose his 0 and that's why he avoided the fight? Now Manny *might* not win, and suddenly he should retire to avoid the fight?

I realize it's not you saying it, but Amir. And I happen to think it's silly nonsense.

A good boxer wouldn't resort to that...consistently. That's why they train footwork and train with southpaws and orthodox fighters. He clearly steps on his foot and leaves it there.

This isn't an excuse, but to show how some people box. Despite an impressive performance Marquez put on...it appears that it wasn't all well earned, either.

But a boxer is going to fight for position too. It's a common thing. Why does a fighter who won the fight need an excuse for why he won anyways? The whole foot stopper excuse is like admitting Marquez won.

seriously, as someone else said, who gives a rat's ass about the 5 something millions americans who haven't paid a dime to watch this fight? It's all about PPV money generated in the States and the truth is that there are zero MMA fighters who can generate a 500,000 plus buys every fight. Moreover, they are both near retirement and there isn't any sign of the next big PPV superstars to take over. It's not Fox and Spike with their ever decreasing budgets, that will support by themselves the salary of dozens of world champions.

Brilliant

I said:

"Wasnt a great showing for Pacman, but I'm happy JMM didnt get the nod:"

Then linked the video.

No reason to freak out.

cb9c3485-b883-4741-a489-391cf9367e8fChill%20Pill%20Ice%20Tray%202.jpg

Ok, sorry for losing my cool. it just that video was posted 4 times yesterday in 4 drifferent threads.

it was a close fight but you say it wasn't a good showing from pac but whu not say it was great showing from JMM instead.

I didn't see pac fight any different the he always has. Combo puncihing in and out but this time he was in there with someome who could counter punch instead of cover up and that made the fight close.

i don't have a problem with pac winning even though i think JMm won.Close fights always go to the star, this wasn't the first and won't be the last time either. So no real big problem for me.

Ok, sorry for losing my cool. it just that video was posted 4 times yesterday in 4 drifferent threads.

it was a close fight but you say it wasn't a good showing from pac but whu not say it was great showing from JMM instead.

I didn't see pac fight any different the he always has. Combo puncihing in and out but this time he was in there with someome who could counter punch instead of cover up and that made the fight close.

i don't have a problem with pac winning even though i think JMm won.Close fights always go to the star, this wasn't the first and won't be the last time either. So no real big problem for me.

It was close, I had it as a draw.

I didnt want to see JMM walk away with the win though using dirty tricks.

seriously, as someone else said, who gives a rat's ass about the 40 something millions mexicans who haven't paid a dime to watch this fight? It's all about PPV money generated in the States and the truth is that there are only two boxers who can generate a million plus buys every fight. Moreover, they are both near retirement and there isn't any sign of the next big PPV superstars to take over. It's not HBO and Showtime, with their ever decreasing budgets, that will support by themselves the salary of dozens of world champions.

I don't think you understand how TV networks make money, and how sponsors are involved.

Your making yourself look pretty silly right now.

It was close, I had it as a draw.

I didnt want to see JMM walk away with the win though using dirty tricks.

You see it as a Tactic, where i see as an accident. Both guys are stepping forward and Jmm is stepping sec, so he foot lands on top of pac. i don't think for one sec it had any affect on this fight. Pac should have been side stepping instead of just backwards, that would have nullaflied the counter punching from JMM.

Hate to say this but Amir almost seems to be making these comments to find a good place in Mayweather's heart. Amir is trying to secure a bout with Mayweather. If he was really Manny's friend he could have talked to him privately about these issues. This is nothing but an attempt by Amir to promote himself under the guise friendship. I completely disagree with Amir.

Pacquiao is an amazing fighter, one of the all time greats. Having a closely fought war with JMM was a good thing. It gave him some persepective on his abilities and areas for improvement. Ali, Dempsey, Joe Louis, you name it, all have had adversaries like JMM in their past. Ali had Frazier, Dempsey had Tunney, Joe Lous had Schmeling. All the greats became greats in a baptism of fire. Having a closely contested battle with JMM does not in any way shape or forum diminish Pacquaio's accomplishments.

-J

Ali shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as today joes... Ali fought his Foreman (if u wanna make the floyd-pac comparison instead of marquez-pac).. Louis took on Marciano and so on.. as for Amir callin' the bullshittyness of this fight's outcome, well all the pros have said the same as you can see in the other thread...But I guess the pactards will defend the little fellow to the death

Khan just loves to run his mouth in general. I don't think it's malicious but he speaks before he thinks.

Maybe this opens the door to Pac vs Khan.

^He got outworked and according to the stats outpunched. At the end of the fight I felt it could go 7-5 either way depending on how the judges scored it but gave the edge to Pacquiao. As you said, Marquez played it safe. He seemed content point fighting and tried to coast his way to a decision. This was partly because of his corner (stupidly) telling him he had the fight and him respecting Pacquiao's power.

He just needed to pull the trigger and follow up more on those counters and he would have won decisively. But he didn't much more often than he did. Marquez's face was more swollen than Pacquiao's so it's clear Pac was landing punches. The most damage Marquez did to Pac was caused by the accidental headbutt. Calling a close fight such as this a "robbery" or saying someone got "ripped off" is excessive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back