what will become of BJJ in 10 years?

Every match below 170 lbs will start by playing patty cake with the feet.

Near sweeps and sub attempts will be worth points and not advantages.

The difference between sport bjj and mma bjj will grow wider.

The influx of brazilian born black belts and the new promotion of American born black belts will cause an oversaturation of dojos that cause the BJJ bubble to burst.

MMA fighters hoping to learn BJJ applicable to "teh UFC" will begin enlisting BJJ black belts who specialize in MMA specific BJJ leaving gi BJJ coaches without a major source of income.

BJJ gyms will be absorbed by TKD dojos and boxing gyms. The TKD dojos being more profitable.

Jiu jitsu coaches will have to only coach part time to maintime a living that can support a family once market prices drive the price of bjj gyms (only slightly) down.

Every

Jiu jitsu coaches will have to only coach part time to maintime a living that can support a family once market prices drive the price of bjj gyms (only slightly) down.
I agree on the rest but did not get the above.

BJJ will be dominated by judoka with bionic implants replacing their injured limbs.

I agree on the rest but did not get the above.

Basically you won't have bjj guys who do nothing but teach bjj. They'll sell insurance, or be school teachers or work in a deli or something simply because there won't be enough people who are willing to pay the money to keep their lights on while supporting a famliy.

My point of view in 10 years

I think there will be a main organisation organizing tournaments in Europe ( like it is now for the IBJJF doing all the opens in the usa)

Europe BJJ will grow alot, UK, Poland & Scandinavia BJJ will grow even aloot bigger. big countries are france/spain/germany/italy will always be behind on talent

You'll see a BIG increase of russian/chechen wrestlers going to BJJ and rising to brown/black faster then light

There will be a lot more cash prices ( coming up now already with abu dhabi pro, samurai X, heck, small local tournaments in belgium have cash prices like 300$ for blue belt open, in brazil all tournaments except ibjjf have cash prices)

Edit : and oh, i'll hopefully have a nice gym on malasia or so near the water

Basically you won't have bjj guys who do nothing but teach bjj. They'll sell insurance, or be school teachers or work in a deli or something simply because there won't be enough people who are willing to pay the money to keep their lights on while supporting a famliy.

I knew that but somehow the way you wrote it was confusing.

It will be taught, from day one, with freestyle wrestling.

A guy can dream, right?

you mean like how private dojos in japan and korea are extinct?

all that buttflopping 50/50 bullshit will be outlawed by all tournaments

Don't know about Korea but in Japan private karate gyms are all over the place.

Taekwondo dojos flourish in Korea... the business is mostly supported by hordes of school children doing TKD after school. Hapkido also does quite well.

I think bjj will only go up there's a big push to get it into the Olympics as mma grows so does bjj

No, there isn't. BJJ practioners don't want the Olympics to touch it, and the IOC don't want another grappling discipline.

In 10 years, the sport will be totally different from our current techniques

I'd say the biggest change will be more emphasis on throws and takedowns. BJJ comps start standing so these skills will always be useful. Not only do you get two points, but you can also often land past their guard. More and more players will start to realise the value of guard passes that can be done before your opponent is even on the ground.

I especially think that the sacrifice throws will become more popular. They are just like pulling guard except with the added benefit that you might be able to throw your opponent.

Whether or not a top level mma fighter is a "bjj fighter" they are still more than proficient at bjj. Guard/guard passing and subs/sub defense is so important that it will always be relevant.

I would like to see bjj come back and dominate. But This will only happen if bjjers learn for fucks sake if u are a bjj blackbelt don't try to out kickbox a kickboxer.

I'd say it depends more on the rulesets used in MMA. Less referee standups will be better for the BJJ players, especially if the rounds are longer.

Here's my take:

BJJ is eventually going to do what every other martial art has done, because it's inevitable. BJJ is growing very quickly. As a result, there are more and more Black Belts being made. As that happens, there will continue to be more and more people teaching Jiu-Jitsu. The more people that are out there teaching the art, the less those people can charge for classes.

So, what happens as a result? It's simple; as they have to lower their prices, they have to get more students. How do they get more students? By attracting and catering to everybody. That includes fat kids and people who want to play martial arts, without any real training or getting hurt. It is a simple fact that this will eventually happen.

Let's look at Karate. I admittedly don't know much about Karate. However, I can imagine that the Japanese guys who started Karate weren't pussies. In fact, I'll be that they trained hard and fought hard. But, over the course of several decades, the popularity of Karate grew exponentially. More and more Black Belts were made, and more and more people started teaching. In order to be able to make a living, these teachers had to fill their dojos with students. So, they began to cater to soccer moms, young kids, birthday parties, lazy people, etc. It's just business.

I can speak a bit about Danzan Ryu. Danzan Ryu Jujitsu was created by Professor Henry Okazaki. This man was not a LARPer. He created a fighting system that was an amalgamation of Judo, several forms of Japanese Jujitsu, Hawaiian Lua, and some other arts. He used to challenge masters of other arts to challenge matches that can only be described as early MMA. In fact, he challenged World Champion Boxer Carl Morris. Okazaki submitted him in the second round with an arm lock, resulting in the dislocation of Morris' shoulder. Obviously, Okazaki was not a LARPing pussy.

But, Okazaki was the first to allow non-Japanese people in Hawaii to learn Jujitsu. It spread quickly, and soon found itself in California. From there, it spread across the United States. Eventually, there were so many schools and so many Black Belt instructors that the costs of training had to drop. As a result, the dojo owners needed more students, and had to recruit as many people as they could. That resulted in the standard Danzan Ryu Dojo that you see today. If you want a dojo that practices randori and promotes competition, you are very unlikely to find one. They are few and far between, and run by people who make their living in some other manner, and teach only because they want to.

I think that a similar phenomenon occurred with Kung Fu. It's just the course of martial arts instruction in the United States. I fully expect it to happen to BJJ, but it might take 20 or 30 years; not just ten.

That's just my opinion. My BJJ experience encompasses only about 6 months of training, cumulatively. So, I might be off my rocker.

It will disappear.
Then someone will do a no-rules tournament.
Bjj will dominate and everyone will want to learn it.

People will realize what a ineffective tool it is and wonder why they ever rolled around in sweaty pajamas. A revival in tae Kwan do will revolutionize grappling as we know it

I wouldnt be surprised if an XMA type of bjj comes about, stuff like Quantum Ju Jitsu:

Back