Does your dog sleep with you in bed, under the covers?

yeah, my beagle sleeps under the blankets every night.

Sharing your bed with an infant could kill it and you're giving the child a sense of independence when they have their own room. You're oversimplifying the bond between a man and their dog as well. Its not just an american thing either.

It is! people in other countries love their pets too but in America the majority of people who own dogs have an obsession with their pets that its very strange, it might happen in other countries too but its the common thing in America, its the exception in other countries. As I said people in this thread get upset because some people point it out, sorry I dont mean to offend anybody but thats just the way it is

Sharing your bed with an infant could kill it and you're giving the child a sense of independence when they have their own room.

Infants don't need independence. Teenagers, maybe, but not infants. And why would you kill it? It's pretty common practice in many countries to have a child sleep in bed with the parents until they're a bit older and I've never once heard of an infant dying because of it.

You're oversimplifying the bond between a man and their dog as well. Its not just an american thing either.

I agree that maybe its not just an American thing, but I've never lived in other western countries, so I didn't want to lump them in without firsthand evidence.

Dogs are just animals. That's not oversimplification. The only reason people get so close to them is because they're pretty much the neediest pack-oriented animals that won't kill the owner and people like the power/sense of responsibility dogs give them.

The American dog obsession freaks me out. People put their infant human children in a separate crib (and often a separate room), but will share a bed with an animal. It's seriously one of the strangest cultural phenomenon's I've ever heard of.

My dog sleeps outside, where dogs have been sleeping for thousands of years without complaint.

my dog is a member of our family, he sleeps in his house where he wants to. its no obsession. please tell me you're not one of those assholes that keeps a dog on a chain.

Two dogs- one lab/border collie mix, 50lbs and one lab/aussie mix, 40lbs.

Both smart, happy, well adjusted dogs. Both sleep on the floor on their own beds. They're not allowed on the furniture period.

Edit: nothing like a dog thread to get jimmies rustled.

my dog is a member of our family, he sleeps in his house where he wants to. its no obsession.

Despite the fact that it deviates from the norm of most people that have ever lived on earth? Ancient Egyptians were obsessed with cats and modern Americans are obsessed with dogs. It's weird, but i'm not saying you're a bad person or anything.

Animals aren't family, they're animals.

please tell me you're not one of those assholes that keeps a dog on a chain.

I keep my dog in a sizable yard, but I've never seen the big deal about keeping a dog on a chain as long as it has food and water. I certainly wouldn't consider someone an asshole for doing it.

Please tell me you're not one of those assholes that cuts off a dog's testicles to "civilize" it and prevent it from procreation.

^Cultural lens.

Dogs are just animals.

That doesn't mean anything at all to someone with a heart. Life is life. The intellect of that life doesn't change the fact that it's still a life.

Dogs have been scientifically proven to show empathy for their families more than any animal in the world (other than wolves which are very similar) and are even more empathetic than many humans. They're also so incredibly loyal that they would die for their families without even thinking twice. They love with such ferocity that people who are willing to perceive it will recognize this. And those who are actually compassionate enough to feel that empathy will be compelled to return it.

Loving a dog shows a slew of good qualities about a person. Being out right dispassionate and even believing it's weird to show that type of love for an animal definitely shows things about your personality as well.

I've never seen the big deal about keeping a dog on a chain as long as it has food and water. I certainly wouldn't consider someone an asshole for doing it..

There is absolutely no point in having a pet if it's just going to be out right inconsequential and not affect your life beyond the inconvenience of you having to water it and feed it. Someone keeping an animal on a chain but otherwise ignoring its existence is a blatant show of stupidity.

It's also fucked up because that dog has wants and desires (also a scientific fact) and none of them revolve around sitting in the same fuckign spot for the entirety of its physical existence. Dogs experience happiness, sadness, fun, etc. and keeping one on a chain is very comparable to doing the same to a human as far as what it does psychologically. You are human, so you think it's different, but that's the only reason you think it's different as it has the same effect on a dog that it would have on a human.

The American dog obsession freaks me out. People put their infant human children in a separate crib (and often a separate room), but will share a bed with an animal. It's seriously one of the strangest cultural phenomenon's I've ever heard of.

My dog sleeps outside, where dogs have been sleeping for thousands of years without complaint.

You're dealing with strange fucking people. These are the same folks who carry on long conversations with their pets, in English, as they walk down the street, tell them not to do something, or compliment them as if one day the dog will respond back in English.

Eddie Griffin kinda summed my feelings on dogs. He really hits the nail on the head about affection. Don't watch if you are offended by Eddie's dirty mouth, lol.

Infants don't need independence. Teenagers, maybe, but not infants. And why would you kill it? It's pretty common practice in many countries to have a child sleep in bed with the parents until they're a bit older and I've never once heard of an infant dying because of it.

I agree that maybe its not just an American thing, but I've never lived in other western countries, so I didn't want to lump them in without firsthand evidence.

Dogs are just animals. That's not oversimplification. The only reason people get so close to them is because they're pretty much the neediest pack-oriented animals that won't kill the owner and people like the power/sense of responsibility dogs give them.

People accidentally roll on the baby in their sleep and smother it to death.

I see it as a sign of a poor dog owner, It doesnt mean youre a bad dog owner if you do it but its likely. Dogs arent babies.
But dont say bs like its an american thing. Dogs temp is around 102 degrees and Im sure they saved many lives in the past by sleeping with them. I bet in places without heat they still sleep with dogs.

Not under the covers but right at my feet. When it gets hot though he sleeps on the hardwood floors. A bit cooler I guess.

In the States it's a developmental thing, for what it's worth. We call what you're describing "attachment parenting." We aren't as wary of spoiling our pets like we might our children.

That doesn't mean anything at all to someone with a heart. Life is life. The intellect of that life doesn't change the fact that it's still a life.

I'm sure you say this when you kills a spider or ant. For the record, I don't kill insects unless they are threatening me for this very reason. But I don't think someone who steps on hits a cockroach with a shoe is an "asshole".

Dogs have been scientifically proven to show empathy for their families more than any animal in the world (other than wolves which are very similar) and are even more empathetic than many humans.

Lol...no. Only someone who doesn't know shit about animals can even believe this is somewhat true. I won't even ask you to source it because it's entirely fictional for so many reasons that I don't even know where to begin.

They're also so incredibly loyal that they would die for their families without even thinking twice. They love with such ferocity that people who are willing to perceive it will recognize this. And those who are actually compassionate enough to feel that empathy will be compelled to return it.

Lol..."love". "compassion". We're talking about dogs, bro. Whether or not they can even feel any of these emotions you're projecting onto them is up for scientific debate. I don't even think dogs pass the mirror test, much less have any sort of perception of other animals' consciousness.

Loving a dog shows a slew of good qualities about a person. Being out right dispassionate and even believing it's weird to show that type of love for an animal definitely shows things about your personality as well.

You're obsessed. It's fine. I'm not saying you're a bad person. I'm just saying that you're obsessed with dogs.

There is absolutely no point in having a pet if it's just going to be out right inconsequential and not affect your life beyond the inconvenience of you having to water it and feed it. Someone keeping an animal on a chain but otherwise ignoring its existence is a blatant show of stupidity.

...ignoring a pet is a show of stupidity? Is English your native language? That sentence doesn't make sense based on the definition of the words.

And its not your job to tell people what the purpose of a pet is. Some people need affection and want surrogate children/cuddle buddies, others want a living alarm system, others want an ornament and conversation piece. You're the only one judging people for not holding your beliefs.

It's also fucked up because that dog has wants and desires (also a scientific fact) and none of them revolve around sitting in the same fuckign spot for the entirety of its physical existence.

No, its not science. Stop getting your science from puppyfuckers.com and actually read a goddamn journal. All creatures, from amoeba to oak trees to elephants have "wants and desires" from a biological sense. Dogs aren't higher order creatures by any stretch of the imagination.

Dogs experience happiness, sadness, fun, etc. and keeping one on a chain is very comparable to doing the same to a human as far as what it does psychologically.

You seriously need to start reading actual science. Keeping a dog on a chain is about the same as keeping a tiger in a zoo. While I'm not a fan of either, it's not a big deal. If you've ever seen dogs in their natural environment (which it sounds like you haven't), they spend most of their day in a single, small area and typical only move around a lot for food or to enforce territory.

You are human, so you think it's different, but that's the only reason you think it's different as it has the same effect on a dog that it would have on a human.

It's not because I'm human, it's because I read actual journals about animal behavior. I can name probably about a dozen social animals that are much more akin, psychologically, to humans than dogs.

People accidentally roll on the baby in their sleep and smother it to death.

I can't think of any possible ways to avoid this other than giving the child it's own bed in a different room.

I'd also like to see the numbers on this. While i imagine it's possible, it seems highly uncommon, given that babies are three dimensional creatures.

In the States it's a developmental thing, for what it's worth. We call what you're describing "attachment parenting." We aren't as wary of spoiling our pets like we might our children.

I know. I don't hold American parenting in particular high esteem. I think anyone who has seen how children in developing countries behave can tell that Americans have some pretty strange and ineffective child-rearing philosophies.

Most social animals sleep with their young. It's pretty normal. Sleeping next to an infant isn't "spoiling" a child.

Interestingly, modern American parenting philosophy also encourages responding immediately to your child's crying to avoid feelings of abandonment, among other things. In many countries where its common knowledge to keep your infant close at night, it's also common knowledge that babies sometimes cry for no reason and that responding to a baby everytime it cries will make it a whiny brat.

^Those countries have less whiny brats.

My min pin would probably have a full blown anxiety attack if she couldn't sleep in someones bed. She's such a slut. The cat the other hand, is Ms. Independent, she had surgery one time and figured she might want to sleep in the room, but half way through the night she just started banging her head against the wall. I guess she wasn't feelin it. Whatever..

I don't hold American parenting in particular high esteem. I think anyone who has seen how children in developing countries behave can tell that Americans have some pretty strange and ineffective child-rearing philosophies.

Most social animals sleep with their young. It's pretty normal. Sleeping next to an infant isn't "spoiling" a child.

Interestingly, modern American parenting philosophy also encourages responding immediately to your child's crying to avoid feelings of abandonment, among other things. In many countries where its common knowledge to keep your infant close at night, it's also common knowledge that babies sometimes cry for no reason and that responding to a baby everytime it cries will make it a whiny brat.

^Those countries have less whiny brats.

Agree

You're dealing with strange fucking people. These are the same folks who carry on long conversations with their pets, in English, as they walk down the street, tell them not to do something, or compliment them as if one day the dog will respond back in English.

Eddie Griffin kinda summed my feelings on dogs. He really hits the nail on the head about affection. Don't watch if you are offended by Eddie's dirty mouth, lol.

Lol...I'd never seen that. The "i's a-rollin" part killed me. Eddie is awesome and I agree about the affection bit. I know a lot of people that love dogs (myself included) and think they're great and shit, but it's the people that compare dogs to humans and sleep with them and give them sweaters that I feel must be in some way missing human affection in their lives if they project all their emotions onto an animal (and not even a particularly smart one).

Back