Anyone ever bought Bitcoin?

Why? anyone who's purchased bitcoins prior to mid march has at least tripled (if they still haven't sold) or quadrupled their investment.

For once sherdog was ontop of this well prior to the rest of the world. Let the bubble ride out and be ready to buy in a few months if thats your thing.

I bought 10 at near 43, sold 5 last week, still holding 5. Thought it was worth a small gamble when I first saw this thread. Shoulda made a bigger one but I won't buy for a while.

Unless you REALLY want to have a life on the web, don't buy or get involved with bitcoins.

pop goes the bubble

lol so much for that

Its now at $236. I've made $150 since I started back in July. Only $150 because I put in $50 and let it sit there for three months. Came out as $100 and then put $600 in this past week. Now mine is worth $700. Its going places people. China is a big backer too owning the largest Bitcoin exchange in the world. The only thing people need to worry about is that the NSA owns 3% of the current total of bitcoin after the Silk Road bust. They could easily sell everything at a fraction of what its worth and crash Bitcoin. The government doing that would piss off a lot of people funding Capitol Hill so that'd hurt their bottom line.

What a world we live in.

Just making up currencies...and movies, movies about humans being sewn with the next persons mouth to the person in fronts asshole. Explain that to your old relatives

It'd be pretty easy to explain to my conservative Glenn Beck like minded relatives. Just have to say that its not controlled by the government nor anyone for that matter.

I know this is a bumped thread. I almost bought a few about a year ago- opened my Mt Gox account and everything... not sure why I didn't. Kind of regretting it, but whatever.

Anyone got a good link explaining the whole bitcoin process?

I don't want technical specs etc, just what a user such as myself would have to do to buy, trade and sell them.

^^^^^

bitcoinhow-100032615-orig.jpg

From this article, which explains things a bit more:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2033715/7-things-you-need-to-know-about-bitcoin.html

Anyone got a good link explaining the whole bitcoin process?

I don't want technical specs etc, just what a user such as myself would have to do to buy, trade and sell them.

Bitcoin.org

Just bought 1 bitcoin from Coinbase.com

I needed .60 bitcoin to continue my newsgroup membership at a certain website. Buying bitcoin is ridiculous in that you have to put in your bank checking and routing numbers, as well as your bank username and password for them to verify and link your bank account to your bitcoin account. I just used one of my old bank accounts I never use that has almost no money in it after I bought the bitcoin just in case I get hacked.

This is the only way to go in order to avoid the six strikes policy that all ISPs are implementing.

wait so based on what some people have said, you would have spent like 140USD for a news membership?

that seems absolutely ridiculous

wait so based on what some people have said, you would have spent like 140USD for a news membership?

that seems absolutely ridiculous

Not to mention what sort of new provider would want to operate on a bitcoin only operation.

Bitcoin.org

Cheers,

FYI all,

How does Bitcoin work?

This is a question that often causes confusion. Here's a quick explanation!
The basics for a new user

As a new user, you can get started with Bitcoin without understanding the technical details. Once you have installed a Bitcoin wallet on your computer or mobile phone, it will generate your first Bitcoin address and you can create more whenever you need one. You can disclose your addresses to your friends so that they can pay you or vice versa. In fact, this is pretty similar to how email works, except that Bitcoin addresses should only be used once.

Bitcoin
Balances - block chain

The block chain is a shared public ledger on which the entire Bitcoin network relies. All confirmed transactions are included in the block chain. This way, Bitcoin wallets can calculate their spendable balance and new transactions can be verified to be spending bitcoins that are actually owned by the spender. The integrity and the chronological order of the block chain are enforced with cryptography.
Transactions - private keys

A transaction is a transfer of value between Bitcoin wallets that gets included in the block chain. Bitcoin wallets keep a secret piece of data called a private key or seed, which is used to sign transactions, providing a mathematical proof that they have come from the owner of the wallet. The signature also prevents the transaction from being altered by anybody once it has been issued. All transactions are broadcast between users and usually begin to be confirmed by the network in the following 10 minutes, through a process called mining.
Processing - mining

Mining is a distributed consensus system that is used to confirm waiting transactions by including them in the block chain. It enforces a chronological order in the block chain, protects the neutrality of the network, and allows different computers to agree on the state of the system. To be confirmed, transactions must be packed in a block that fits very strict cryptographic rules that will be verified by the network. These rules prevent previous blocks from being modified because doing so would invalidate all following blocks. Mining also creates the equivalent of a competitive lottery that prevents any individual from easily adding new blocks consecutively in the block chain. This way, no individuals can control what is included in the block chain or replace parts of the block chain to roll back their own spends.
Going down the rabbit hole

This is only a very short and concise summary of the system. If you want to get into the details, you can read the original paper that describes the system's design, and explore the Bitcoin wiki.

Bitcoin is a wildly fluctuating speculative investment.

It is not a viable currency.........yet.

Bitcoin is a wildly fluctuating speculative investment.

It is not a viable currency.........yet.

Right. I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking for a 'sure thing'. Nor would I for anyone looking for an alternate currency at this point.

Just a fun risk if you've got a couple hundred to gamble.

Just a fun risk if you've got a couple hundred to gamble.

Thats it. Even the guys who pioneered this technology have been saying all along that nobody should invest more than they're willing to loose.

I chucked just under 2K on them at the start of the year, and I've been enjoying the ride so far. I think Im just going to let them sit for another year. You never know, they may be worth thousands a piece.

To the moon!

BTW, the best place to buy bitcoin in the US is coinbase.com

If you're not, then use bitstamp.com.

Thats it. Even the guys who pioneered this technology have been saying all along that nobody should invest more than they're willing to loose.

I chucked just under 2K on them at the start of the year, and I've been enjoying the ride so far. I think Im just going to let them sit for another year. You never know, they may be worth thousands a piece.

Your 2 grand is worth hundreds of thousands now, right?

Back