Official Women's MMA Discussion Thread #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Polish fighter has long arms, fast hands and power. That is a tough combination to beat on the feet.

I found a link to the official live stream (with reply) of Kunlun Fight 7.

http://www.hula8.net/article/4163.html

Kickboxing and MMA.

005xAquGjw1eijkioi65rj30m80w07bf.jpg

About three hours long.

--
Looks like this one is delayed:

7-27 125 Jin Tang (12-4-1-0) CN vs. Yana Lyashko (0-1-0) RU at Kunlun Fight 7, China.

Last edited:
so the talk of a 'fight' is to sell her new movie ?.....i'm in Europe so i've no real idea how popular Carano actually is in the US,outwith the realm of Sherdog.....but she'd probably get more people interested if she did a Playboy shoot or stripped down to her underwear for maxim or some other shit mag,rather than being involved in a fight that'll be lucky to last a round and result in her getting her ass kicked.

I think, at this point, people are reacting to the Carano-Rousey rumors with 50% disgust and 50% apathy. So, if the UFC thinks this is going to drum up interest for the fight, or Carano`s movie career...they will be sadly mistaken. And as for the bout (and a potential loss) hurting Carano`s stock as an action star: if the fight doesn`t happen, Carano will now always be known as the woman who backed down from a fight with Rousey. I see this thing blowing up in everyone`s faces...especially Carano`s

Couldn`t watch the fight, but I`m impressed with Joanna Mxyzptlk (just get her to say it backwards and she returns to the 5th dimension) just in that she didn`t lose. I think/though Lima was a top 5 SW. I`ll have to watch this fight to see how she did it.

Jarl

I think, at this point, people are reacting to the Carano-Rousey rumors with 50% disgust and 50% apathy. So, if the UFC thinks this is going to drum up interest for the fight, or Carano`s movie career...they will be sadly mistaken. And as for the bout (and a potential loss) hurting Carano`s stock as an action star: if the fight doesn`t happen, Carano will now always be known as the woman who backed down from a fight with Rousey. I see this thing blowing up in everyone`s faces...especially Carano`s

Couldn`t watch the fight, but I`m impressed with Joanna Mxyzptlk (just get her to say it backwards and she returns to the 5th dimension) just in that she didn`t lose. I think/though Lima was a top 5 SW. I`ll have to watch this fight to see how she did it.

Jarl

We had some conversations about Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs. Juliana Lima in the heavies in the official thread. I'll add a link to that at a time the conversations start incase you are interested.

I'll add a brief synopsis although you should see the fight for yourself when time permits.

They both came out trading but Jedrzejczyk's punches were quicker, harder, and more accurate. Right away Lima looked to put Jedrzejczyk on her back, pressuring her into the cage. There was a good deal of clinch-work with a mixed bag. Lima tended to control the position and actually managed a few more knees (fairly weak) from the clinch due to position. The ref. broke the fight up a few times due to inactivity. Occasional breaks had Jedrzejczyk pounding on Lima until Lima could get the clinch and fight into the cage again. (Edit. Lima strikes roughly 23 vs. Jedrzejczyk roughly 21 for the round.)

Second round Jedrzejczyk kept the clinch from happening and Lima was pretty tired. Lima eat tons of shots, was worked from legs to torso, to head with punches and kicks and a few knees and elbows from Jedrzejczyk. Lima looked wobbled a few times but she has a chin on her. (Edit. Jedrzejczyk strikes for much of the round - 3-4 minute mark I think - upwards of 47+ vs. Lima roughly 17-19.)

Lima came out fresher in the beginning of the third round but Jedrzejczyk started opening up on her again. Lima countered with clinch work but Jedrzejczyk managed to avoid that for the most part and really started a beat down on Lima. Lima looked like she would get TKOed but managed a great takedown after Jedrzejczyk stepped in on a punch on too many times. Lima got side control and worked for a sub but Jedrzejczyk defended and eventually stood up, ending the fight with flurries. (Edit. I don't recall seeing a strike count for the third round but Jedrzejczyk threw and landed far more strikes in the round. Excluding some of Lima's ground strikes.)

30-27, 30-27, 29-28 (for first round) win for Jedrzejcyk.

--

Here is the link to the official thread. Decent conversations covering impressions of the fight.

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2...ma-vs-joanna-jedrzejczyk-2790589/index10.html

I could post a link to the prelim thread but that is pretty much worthless as far as analysis of the fight. Lima got a bit of hate for "wall and stall" tactics but if she hadn't she'd have been finished. Lima looked for takedowns but just couldn't get them until the end when Jedrzejcyk opened up hard, looking for a finish.

Lots of compliments for Jedrzejcyk's footwork and hand speed. Extensive body work, jabs to the midsection. Someone commented that seeing this fight just reminds them how uncommon it is to see body work in MMA. Some complaints that she didn't kick as much as she could but that was quickly cut down by the correct response that she didn't want to give up easy takedowns to Lima.

Overall people were impressed with the fight but mostly due to Jedrzejcyk.

--

On humor. The announcers kept referring this fight as the "First UFC strawweight fight!" until they corrected themselves later on ...

During the walk ups some of Jedrzejcyk's accomplishments in MT were brought up but then Lima's 9-1 record was brought up with greater standing in regards to MT. I'd pointed out that Jedrzejcyk's total record is something like 72-5-1 (with at least 1 of those losses a robbery) earlier in the official thread as a comparison to Lima's (combined 15-2-0) vs. Jedrzejcyk's (combined 72-5-1) experience in combat sports*.

* From what I can recall. I'm sure there is more out there and I am sticking with MT/MMA. Jedrzejcyk commented that she has upwards of 100 total fights.
--
Only 12 seconds of HL

Jessy Jess (Pink) vs. Rhiannon Thompson (Blue) - Australia (Bantamweight)

This is supposed to have been a 5 round war. Thompson took the fight on short notice, like 24hrs. Came up from Tasmania to take the fight, and she normally fights at flyweight.

I'd heard that Thompson has considered moving to bantamweight earlier this year. I have not heard confirmation if she will stick with bantamweight for her next fight, if , or when, it comes.

--

Simona Soukupova training with Katja Kankaanpaa, helping her get ready for her title shot at Invicta 8, September 6th.

10527492_687034091389301_6818574227175206417_n.jpg

--
Jellybean wants to fight -

927387_1516232695261976_2028818484_n.jpg

Last edited:
Road FC 16: Song Hyo Kyung defeats Kimura Hazuki by withdraw 2:21 of round 2

Bit late to the party, just want to say that I thought that was ahugely impressive UFC debut from JJ, props to Lima for lasting but that was a very impressive display of striking from Joanna.
Really looking forward to seeing her in action again soon

Jarl

She basically borderline outclassed Lima in this fight. Beforehand I thought this might be what would happen but still thought lima would have a little more success taking her down and once down not sure what joanna's ground game is like so I thought -300 favorite for joanna was kind of extreme but after seeing the fight looks like the 3 to 1 favorite is well deserved. Lima is good and at one point may have been top 5 but no way she's top 5 in todays SW environment, just the 7 girls I mention a few pages back are all above her, a few may have trouble vs her due to styles but overall would still do better and not to mention more talents coming in to SW at best she would be ranked at fringe of top 10. Joanna on the other hand is a top 5 for sure imo.

I could post a link to the prelim thread but that is pretty much worthless as far as analysis of the fight. Lima got a bit of hate for "wall and stall" tactics but if she hadn't she'd have been finished. Lima looked for takedowns but just couldn't get them until the end when Jedrzejcyk opened up hard, looking for a finish.

Lots of compliments for Jedrzejcyk's footwork and hand speed. Some complaints that she didn't kick as much as she could but that was quickly cut down by the correct response that she didn't want to give up easy takedowns to Lima.

Overall people were impressed with the fight but mostly due to Jedrzejcyk.

--

On humor. The announcers kept referring this fight as the "First UFC strawweight fight!" until they corrected themselves later on .

--

Great synopsis. I recall Joe was saying how Lima is inexperienced didn't manage her energy in the first round, but I mean whats she suppose to do thats her gameplan and she would lose in striking. Once she found out that her td ability did not surpass the threshold of Joanna's tdd it was already a losing battle.

Does Joanna usually kick a lot I haven't watched her MT fights? From the mma fights she seemed to be more punch oriented compare to jojo who uses more kicks. But I guess that could be due to fearing td when she will have a edge in striking anyways.

About the first straw weight fight comment yea I thought at least joe would keep an eye on the top straw weights and watch Claudia's fight since she is like one of the favorite if not the favorite to win the belt in the future but joe doesn't seem to know jack about SW didn't know Joanna either.

Lima vs Tina would be an interesting match.

Great synopsis. I recall Joe was saying how Lima is inexperienced didn't manage her energy in the first round, but I mean whats she suppose to do thats her gameplan and she would lose in striking. Once she found out that her td ability did not surpass the threshold of Joanna's tdd it was already a losing battle.

Thanks.

Agreed. Lima did the right thing in trying for those takedowns. If she had not attempted to blanket Jedrzejczyk on the fence Jedrzejczyk would have gotten away from Lima and beaten her up even more.

Jedrzejczyk is lacking in some of the more technical aspects of clinch work from a wrestling/grappling point of view but her clinch from MT has allowed her, in the past, to deal fairly effectively in these situations. Not perfect but decent. Jedrzejczyk had a few good elbows in there and when she managed to get knees off in the clinch they did far more damage then Lima's.

Lima is used to physically over powering her opponents. She has decent technical skills but her explosive power and general strength have been part and parcel to her fighting in MMA in the past. In her fight with Jedrzejczyk and Kankaanpaa they had the technique to deal with her. Jedrzejczyk has also been a flyweight, like Lima, so her strength was up there with Lima's so there was no big edge in strength. In watching Lima vs. Kankaanpaa it was clear that Lima's physical prowess kept the fight close.

This has left me wondering if Lima losses too much strength and endurance in the cut to strawweight, she actually missed weight for this last fight. She was advised to not try and make a second attempt at weighing in but she did so anyways and missed it by .5lbs. We'll have to wait and see if Lima can turn things around.

Going 0-2, albeit against tough competition, is a rough blow for her at strawweight.

Does Joanna usually kick a lot I haven't watched her MT fights? From the mma fights she seemed to be more punch oriented compare to jojo who uses more kicks. But I guess that could be due to fearing td when she will have a edge in striking anyways.

I've seen a number of her MT and other MMA fights. She will use kicks far more often in both. She mixes them up very well. I don't see her using knees as often as I'd like but she gets elbows in fairly often. Calderwood definitely uses kicks in MMA more often but you will notice against Norma Center and Katja Kankaanpaa Calderwood was far more circumspect in her kicks and striking in general.

About the first straw weight fight comment yea I thought at least joe would keep an eye on the top straw weights and watch Claudia's fight since she is like one of the favorite if not the favorite to win the belt in the future but joe doesn't seem to know jack about SW didn't know Joanna either.

Yep. Came across as seriously lacking in knowledge. Even a degree of common sense when playing up Lima's MT record after just reading off a script of Jedrzejczyk's accomplishments in MT.

Lima vs Tina would be an interesting match.

I've been thinking of these matchups. Lima vs. Lahdemaki would be a fun one. I am also left interesting in seeing Paige VanZant get a fight against either Lima or Lahdemaki.

Both Lima and Lahdemaki are bigger, overall, then VanZant. Before VanZant's pro debut she was talking in terms of seeing herself as an atomweight while both Lima and Lahdemaki mostly have fought at flyweight. Lima is larger and stronger then Lahdemaki though. This suggests that Lima would be able to bully VanZant a bit but Lahdemaki might make for a better fight against VanZant and a decent challenge to Lima.

I also want to see what Team Alpha Male has done for VanZant.

Adding a picture in a moment.

10470791_799469746764376_5121569086233363085_n-300x194.jpg

This was taken not all that long after Lima was picked up by Alexis Davis and her husband, maybe a 3 days before the fight.

I don't normally like using these kinds of pictures due to the weight cut, the fighters are supposed to be at the same weight at this point in time. Not a good measure of differences in size but can be a tool in getting a sense of muscle mass.

20130404070125_IMG_5649.JPG

(Had to find a different picture. Redirect. Not the best picture to show them both off.)

Other pictures.

20130407083555_IMG_3510.JPG

0.jpg

julianalima1.jpg

122_Juliana_Lima_vs_Katja_Kankaanpaa_4470-310x150.jpg

Last edited:
i hope jelly bean gets her wish and will fight in stockholm...even better would be helsinki...some day! :D

What I was trying to say about Rousey/Carano was that think i think its blatantly obvious Carano is using Rousey and the UFC to keep her name in the news. You could actually say that Rousey is now a little bit better known than Carano. Caranos acting career isn't exactly going gang busters the Haywire movie was good but her acting sucked. Fast and the Furious she had like 10 lines. She guest starred in Fox tv series in the fall where she had 1 line maybe 2 and her last movie was basically straight to dvd. Rousey right now is everywhere 3 movies coming stories in the New Yorker Wall St Journal , Espn short movie, Hannah storm interviews she had segment on one those entertainment news shows recently she really is in public consciousness more right now.

i hope jelly bean gets her wish and will fight in stockholm...even better would be helsinki...some day! :D

All would be good.

8)

Here's more.

Tina Lahdemaki 'praying' for Stockholm slot opposite Juliana Lima or Paige VanZant
By: John Morgan July 28, 2014 6:30 pm

tina-lahdemaki-ufc-fight-night-45.jpg

Tina Lahdemaki (5-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC) came up short in her UFC debut, but she performed much better than many expected. Now she’s hoping to a second shot on a fight card a little closer to home when the UFC returns to Stockholm on Oct. 4.

“I’m hoping, praying and doing everything I can to get on that card,” Lahdemaki told MMAjunkie. “I’m already training hard so that if Stockholm happens, I will be ready for that. Getting on that card would be another chance for me to prove myself and to get that victory I didn’t get the last time.

“I want to fight harder than I did last time, I want to perform better than I did last time, and I just want to win so bad.”

Click below for more:

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/07/tina-l...m-slot-opposite-juliana-lima-or-paige-vanzant

Last edited:
Thanks to Thirdpres and Underdogftw for the responses. I want to watch that fight!

Since we still got plenty of time before the SWs are free for bout makin`...do you thin it`ll just be Jelly Bean vs. Ju Thai and Gadelha vs. JoJe? Maybe in November?

Jarl

How to properly pronounce Joanna Jedrzejczyk's surname. MMARocks.pl helps. :cool:

[YT]sr3yOkbFAps[/YT]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back