Official Women's MMA Discussion Thread #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
"So yesterday at the weigh ins she seems like this tiny little meek... she's f#$#$ing bad ass legit man! I'm a big fan!"

29dgs9u.jpg

Congrats to Joanna.

I guess this could mean a fight with Gadelha next.

This fight itself is title worthy.

Yep, and after tonight's performance, I think she has a good shot at beating her. Very good TDD, and excellent striking and cardio. I could see her pulling ahead in the 2nd and 3rd if Claudia gasses.

I agree, but in a three round fight I would favor Claudia since if lima can get her down sometimes most likely Claudia will get her down the first round with str advantage. In a five round fight am not sure key question is can she survive on the bottom say 2x in the first 2 rounds.

Btw great fight really liked it. I actually see Joanna as a tough fight for literally anyone in SW. Almost feel like she would beat jag right now(probably going too far) stylistically stop most of jag td and win on the feet. Man super excited for SW match ups, jojo, torres, Jag, Mizuki, Joanna, Claudia, Carla pick any two it will be a interesting match.

If JoJo vs JoJe happens and if I had to pick who wins would be really put me on the spot. Heart wants jojo to win but mind probably give Joanna an edge since striking wise both looks very good but Joanna punches harder.

Last edited:
Yep, and after tonight's performance, I think she has a good shot at beating her. Very good TDD, and excellent striking and cardio. I could see her pulling ahead in the 2nd and 3rd if Claudia gasses.

She gets pushed against the cage too much though. Saw that in her other fight that Thirdpres posted earlier. Needs to learn how to whizzer out of it, or get stronger and reverse her opponent. Really enjoyed her striking though, it was top notch.

This fight itself is title worthy.

I agree, but in a three round fight I would favor Claudia since if lima can get her down sometimes most likely Claudia will get her down the first round with str advantage. In a five round fight am not sure key question is can she survive on the bottom say 2x in the first 2 rounds.

Btw great fight really liked it. I actually see Joanna as a tough fight for literally anyone in SW. Almost feel like she would beat jag right now(probably going too far) stylistically stop most of jag td and win on the feet. Man super excited for SW match ups, jojo, torres, Jag, Mizuki, Joanna, Claudia, Carla pick any two it will be a interesting match.

If JoJo vs JoJe happens and if I had to pick who wins would be really put on the spot. Heart wants jojo to win but mind probably give Joanna an edge since striking wise both looks very good but Joanna punches harder.

jo jo and jo je...you may be on to something. not just with what would most likely be a great fight, but there was mention earlier of joanna's need for a nickname...maybe jo je? :)

"So yesterday at the weigh ins she seems like this tiny little meek... she's f#$#$ing bad ass legit man! I'm a big fan!"

29dgs9u.jpg

with anthony kiedis apologizing for missing her fight and promising to watch it when he gets home. pretty cool for joanna. :cool:

As mentioned before, I will be hosting the first-ever Fantasy TUF League on Sherdog in honor of what will be the best season of TUF ever. Hope to see all my fellow WMMA fans join the party! :D

Details and rules of the game: http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/showthread.php?p=97300657

We have 5 people on board so far, where are the rest of you at?! :D

I hope the measely $10 league entry fee is not what preventing you from joining in the fun with your fellow WMMA fans, is it? If that's the case, we can always lower it down to $5. The grand prize will be effectively halved, but fun is the most important thing afterall!

Figured this would be happening but this tends to unofficially confirm it:

--
Scouting out my next opponent at UFC on FOX in San Jose-CA.

#ufc #ufcgirl #mmagirl

BtgOY8wCAAAEhME.jpg

3:24 PM - 26 Jul 2014

Derek Bolender ‏@MMAjunkieDerek

jo jo and jo je...you may be on to something. not just with what would most likely be a great fight, but there was mention earlier of joanna's need for a nickname...maybe jo je? :)

Despite what Brazilians seem to think, not every fighter needs a nickname.

She gets pushed against the cage too much though. Saw that in her other fight that Thirdpres posted earlier. Needs to learn how to whizzer out of it, or get stronger and reverse her opponent. Really enjoyed her striking though, it was top notch.

Getting pushed against the cage is meaningless without a TD. So maybe Claudia could use that strategy in the first, but then what? Unless she gets the finish, she'll be completely gassed in the 2nd and 3rd where Joanna would most likely take over.

Getting pushed against the cage is meaningless without a TD. So maybe Claudia could use that strategy in the first, but then what? Unless she gets the finish, she'll be completely gassed in the 2nd and 3rd where Joanna would most likely take over.
Agreed and cool highlight in you sig.

joanna looked very solid. good takedown defense, nice patience, great body work. very happy for her and can't wait to see her fight again! :D it seems lke she won some fans over with her performance. :cool:

yay! joanna!

10411128_10152621375079254_6168369399928822542_n.jpg

Bam Margera got fat.

*Goes back to lurking*

We have 5 people on board so far, where are the rest of you at?! :D

I hope the measely $10 league entry fee is not what preventing you from joining in the fun with your fellow WMMA fans, is it? If that's the case, we can always lower it down to $5. The grand prize will be effectively halved, but fun is the most important thing afterall!

Oh I'm down! I just have to get off my lazy couch and sign up.

@Ben236 She's giving up a dominant position to her opponent and can't get out of it unless the ref steps in. What happens if she faces someone with better TD's from there, using trips and throws. Or her opponent mixes in some dirty boxing and MT work instead of just grinding like Lima was. That's how JDS lost to Cain in his last fight.

I just want to change the subject for a minute after this most recent attempt by the UFC to sign Carano can't most people in MMA community see what Carano is doing? The First Rousey/Carano rumors started with the press tour of the last Fast and Furious movie then once the press was over it went away then the rumors started again with the press tour of her last movie "In The Blood"again the press ended for the movie and talk died down and then that same movies DVD comes out the rumors come back after a few weeks it again went away and finally this last attempt Dana goes to LA talks to her people Helwani says the talks are progressing better and I think that same day a press release comes out saying Carano will be filming a movie in New York. Does the UFC and some in the mma media not see this trend or their just going along for the ride knowingly?

Oh I'm down! I just have to get off my lazy couch and sign up.

@Ben236 She's giving up a dominant position to her opponent and can't get out of it unless the ref steps in. What happens if she faces someone with better TD's from there, using trips and throws. Or her opponent mixes in some dirty boxing and MT work instead of just grinding like Lima was. That's how JDS lost to Cain in his last fight.

Cain wasn't just wall n' stalling. He was beating JDS up in the clinch and won by TKO. I could also point out that Kenflo tried a wall n' stall strategy against both Penn and Aldo and lost both those fights. Furthermore, even though most of the 1st round was spent with Joanna being pressed up against the cage, 2 of the 3 judges still gave her that round as well as most people who watched the fight.

I could very well see Claudia taking Joanna down in the first, but I think that if Joanna keeps a high enough pace and doesn't get subbed, that she could gas Claudia out and take rounds 2 and 3 with her boxing and footwork. I'm not saying it's a sure thing though.

thanks for the gifs reactQ. :D

the live shot of the kick to the face changes camera angles, so i didn't get to see it as well the first time around. just bad timing on the switch between cameras.

I just want to change the subject for a minute after this most recent attempt by the UFC to sign Carano can't most people in MMA community see what Carano is doing? The First Rousey/Carano rumors started with the press tour of the last Fast and Furious movie then once the press was over it went away then the rumors started again with the press tour of her last movie "In The Blood"again the press ended for the movie and talk died down and then that same movies DVD comes out the rumors come back after a few weeks it again went away and finally this last attempt Dana goes to LA talks to her people Helwani says the talks are progressing better and I think that same day a press release comes out saying Carano will be filming a movie in New York. Does the UFC and some in the mma media not see this trend or their just going along for the ride knowingly?

so the talk of a 'fight' is to sell her new movie ?.....i'm in Europe so i've no real idea how popular Carano actually is in the US,outwith the realm of Sherdog.....but she'd probably get more people interested if she did a Playboy shoot or stripped down to her underwear for maxim or some other shit mag,rather than being involved in a fight that'll be lucky to last a round and result in her getting her ass kicked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back