Pro Wrestling Discussion 177: Lunatic Fringe, We All Know You're Out There!

I saw baby Phil at a UFC in San Jose a couple years ago. My wife wanted a picture with him, he took it but didn't say anything and mean mugged the camera. I was like this guys weird and right when I thought that some drunk dude yelled "smile, weirdo". He was with Lita who looked haggard AF.

Besmirched

I saw baby Phil at a UFC in San Jose a couple years ago. My wife wanted a picture with him, he took it but didn't say anything and mean mugged the camera. I was like this guys weird and right when I thought that some drunk dude yelled "smile, weirdo". He was with Lita who looked haggard AF.

You would look like shit too if you had to listen to punk 24/7

You would think a straight edge, punk rock type of guy like Punk with some nerd tendencies would be nice in person. But from all accounts, nope.

EDIT

I have a story about Kelly Kelly and Tommy Dreamer, but deleting for privacy. PM me for story if you care.

Last edited:
There are some crazy rumors going around that TNA have reached out to "big names" to bring in should they get the new tv deal. I call bs on that, I can't imagine who would sign with them - or who is even available atm. Maybe it's just talk of them trying to resign Bully Ray, Jeff Hardy, etc.

It's Punk so it probably wouldn't have helped but the guy could've at least called him Punk instead of Phil. I don't think wrestlers like it when you use their real name. Jericho mentioned something about that on his podcast. That just reeks of iwc neckbeard.

It's common sense if you have followed wrestling for any length of time that you address them by their stage name. Lance Storm talked about this in one of his Q&As, Raven has addressed this, I talked to Godfather about this on a visit to his club years ago, and numerous others have talked about this. Lance Storm, Kurt Angle, and even Chris Jericho used 'Taker and HHH as two prime examples. Everyone knows 'Taker's fight name is Mark and HHH is Paul yet even wrestlers will call the Undertaker simply 'Taker and HHH as Hunter. They only guys who call HHH as Paul apparently is Steph and Shawn Michaels.

Long story short, going up to CM Punk and calling him Phil is just smart. You don't know them personally, you call them by their stage name plain and simple. When wrestlers are called by their real name, they assume the person talking to them knows them personally and not a fan.

Edit: When I met the Godfather, I recall asking him how he wanted me to address him and he laughed and asked my why. I said I don't know if it was more appropriate to call him Papa Shango or Godfather and he laughed and said "What about Kama or Goodfather?" and we had a good laugh before he suggested I just call him Charles. Coolest wrestler I have ever met. Spent 1 1/2 hours talking wrestling 1 on 1 and then after I suggested that I should let him go in case he was busy, he left and gave me free lap dances for the night. That there is a cool guy.

Angle isn't that bad, met him twice and he was very cool. I guess if you met him when he was drinking and on pills, it might be a different story.

Last edited:
You would think a straight edge, punk rock type of guy like Punk with some nerd tendencies would be nice in person. But from all accounts, nope.

It depends on the person; the majority of guys embraces it and embrace the fans like Rock, Bryan, Edge, etc. Other guys act entitled show disdain for fans. Everyone has a bad day but of string of bad days is a pattern and is pretty telling of someone’s character. At this point, it should be no surprise to anyone that you would have a better experience getting an autograph from Rock than Punk.

It depends on the person; the majority of guys embraces it and embrace the fans like Rock, Bryan, Edge, etc. Other guys act entitled show disdain for fans. Everyone has a bad day but of string of bad days is a pattern and is pretty telling of someone

There are some crazy rumors going around that TNA have reached out to "big names" to bring in should they get the new tv deal. I call bs on that, I can't imagine who would sign with them - or who is even available atm. Maybe it's just talk of them trying to resign Bully Ray, Jeff Hardy, etc.

It's angle
try and act surprised when it happens

It's angle
try and act surprised when it happens

Damn I was hoping one week on Raw for Rusev to be out bragging about anuses and kicking groins when suddenly this familiar theme hits....

I want to dress up as the Higher Power for Halloween and when people ask who I'm supposed to be pull up my hood and yell "It's me, Austin!"

Ok, I don't really want to do that but the thought of it did make me chuckle.

Damn I was hoping one week on Raw for Rusev to be out bragging about anuses and kicking groins when suddenly this familiar theme hits....

Hoping for this for a while. Not gonna happen though

Not only that but Punk has complained numerous times in the past about how fans 'approach' him for autographs and such so it probably wasn't a good idea to ask in the first place. If he was such a Punk mark, he should have known this.

If I'm ever in that situation I will ask Punk to take a picture of me and AJ.

To Punk: "Dude, do you know who you're standing next to? This is the greatest WWE Divas Champion of all time!"

Punk: Yeah ... I used to wrestle too...

Me: That's super.

I would like to see Rusev try to kick Kurt freakin Angle's groin!

They could just play Kurt's theme anyway only it's not Kurt who appears....

Cole: "IT'S THE PATRIOT, DEL WILKES IS HERE ON RAW KING!!!"

Lawler: *stupid high pitched yelp*

JBL: "Now here is a true American."

If I'm ever in that situation I will ask Punk to take a picture of me and AJ.

To Punk: "Dude, do you know who you're standing next to? This is the greatest WWE Divas Champion of all time!"

Punk: Yeah ... I used to wrestle too...

Me: That's super.

I lol'd

If Kurt returned with his original theme would people still chant "You Suck." Do the kids even know that chant anymore?

If you're chanting irrelevant stuff during a match or segment, or trying to get yourself over - Neckbeard.

I would absolutely do that. If shit is boring, chant some random shit to entertain yourself.. Bad segments or matches deserve it. Get a Barry Horowitz chant going or something.

If you bitch because an indie guy had to change his name, and then complain about burials because he isn't in an advantageous position - Neckbeard

They make terrible names, bitching is warranted.

True story,

I worked at a car rental company from 04-08 (I work at corporate now, but I was at a rental location then at an airport) and Edge and Lita came through real late one night almost (it was after midnight). The bus driver that picked them up to bring them to our lot was a older black woman and a complete mark (STL has always been a 'rasslin town). She goes "I know you! You're Edge!". He looked around and goes "Who are you talking to? I'm Adam". And they went back and forth like that a couple of times, but he was actually making a joke out of it and not all pissed off. He eventually started laughing and they both gave her an autograph and even a tip I think.

The nicest wrestling "personality" I ever met working there was actually Jonathan Coachman, who was doing commentary at the time but still doing college sports on the side. The guy is a lot bigger in person than you would think, and was super nice. It was a Sunday and I was like "Coach, there's no wrestling event here this week. You just visiting?" and he sat in my line at the exit booth and chatted with me about how he does the sports announcing, shook my hand and was just genuinely nice.

Any time I asked them for an autograph, since I was young and stupid, I would just discreetly do it. Act like I didn't know them until the end of the transaction when I would say "And if you aren't too busy, could you sign this for me?" and hand them one of our maps or something so as to not draw attention to them. Booker T was cool, didn't say much but Charmelle was like "Oh hi thanks! How are you?" etc and she was BEAUTIFUL in person. Absolutely stunning.

EDIT
Sorry for all the stories can't believe I forgot this one. Brian Kendrick was the nicest wrestler I ever met working there. This was the time of his Spanky gimmick in WWE. I asked him for an autograph, and he was like "OMG YEAH BROTHER, I'll be happy to." and talked to me for a few minutes (non wrestling stuff, mostly about the city, what I would recommend for him to do etc). He honestly seemed super excited that someone ACTUALLY knew who he was.

That's awesome you got to meet so many rasslers. I don't know why but I always thought Coachman would be a dick, cool he isn't. I'm glad my assuming Spanky would be a nice dude wasn't off. Seems like a decent guy from his shoots and interviews. I was always a fan of his.

Only two wrestlers I've ever met were RVD and Kurgan. I had a GF who's uncle had decent connections with the Metro Center here in Halifax, when RAW and Smackdown came here I got to go backstage. RVD was doing a small autograph signing for the backstage people.. there was a guy ushering people through quickly who was a dick but RVD seemed annoyed by him and was taking his time with everybody, seemed quite nice. Also saw Double A and Patterson hanging around back there. Also saw John Cena wearing full Cena gear in near freezing weather walking down the street. Jean shorts and all.

Kurgan was a bouncer around here for years and you'd see him all over the place. He's friggen massive. Serious looking fellow, never tried to have a conversation with him or anything.

Nothing nearly as interesting as your stories.. Not a lot of options to meet anybody interesting randomly around here.

Back