What's Your Next Purchase? V5

VZ-58’s are fucking awesome! Saigas are too for that matter. I’m just not a huge fan of the semi-auto shotguns.

Well, owning the Saiga hasn't precluded a Mossberg 500. Nothing ventured nothing gained. :)

I just got back from a long ass road trip to my bow's manufacturer, in Biggar, Saskatchewan, home of the Hanson buck, and had them install their newest cam; with a rotating draw (limb) stop and upgraded the hardware to titanium:

oyu6Rt3.jpg

tEBEZfH.jpg

With the original OEM cams and because of how fast it is, the back wall felt a little spongey and the arrow was jumpy. Now, with the draw stop, which provides a solid back wall and because I shoot a trigger-style wrist strap release, in some ways, it feels like shooting a fucking rifle. That said, I kinda don't like how the titanium limb bolts went to a T40 (which I don't have a wrench for), from a 1/4" hex, but dat corrosion resistence, doe.

Oh yeah, and last week, while I was at the Calgary Stampede, I managed to pick up two dozen Gold Tip Velocities, 100 grain brass inserts and a pack of 100 grain Grim Reaper Pro Series 1 3/8th" mechanical broadheads.

riMgcI8.jpg

I'm doing my damnedest to have a successful season, this fall.

Nice man!!! How many arrows you shooting a day??? Back when I was elk hunting I’d shoot like 100+ a day leading up to the season.

Also don’t forget those chin ups and pull-ups as well as getting a left hand bow that is like 60% of the drawnweigt as your normal bow to balance out everything, you don’t want a shoulder injury going into the season.

Man, the years I was bow hunting I was probably in the best shape of my life going all Cameron Haines on it.

I noticed yesterday that the owner of APA Archery drives an older, 6.2 Raptor in black. Not really a truck guy, but I kinda want.

@RerouteToRemain, BRB, gonna buy one in Forza 7 and see if that holds me over.

I have a raptor, don’t get to drive it much since I’m not living in anchorage, just drive around a 2003 Tacoma our in the bush.

I want a new bow, I want to check out the new Hoyt redworx and the g4 prime bows.

I’ve got a PSE decree HD ti right now, I’d like something a bit more lovely though, taking a dall sheep with a bow would be awesome.

You ever considered hunting stone sheep since you’re a Canadian resident??? Those hunts are like 45k for non Canadians right now...

I have a raptor, don’t get to drive it much since I’m not living in anchorage, just drive around a 2003 Tacoma our in the bush.

I want a new bow, I want to check out the new Hoyt redworx and the g4 prime bows.

I’ve got a PSE decree HD ti right now, I’d like something a bit more lovely though, taking a dall sheep with a bow would be awesome.

You ever considered hunting stone sheep since you’re a Canadian resident??? Those hunts are like 45k for non Canadians right now...
Yeah, it's not a purchase I can justify, just day dreaming. Besides, one of the things I "love" about my truck is how much I don't actually care about it, it's great as a beater. Whereas, I finally got a small chip in the windshield of my car, recently and it just about ruined my day. If I get a nice truck, I'd likely end up babying it, which defeats the purpose. I think I'll stick to the nice car, shitty truck system I've been using for the past couple of years.

As for sheep, I'm way too inexperienced and with how late I started hunting, I honestly doubt it will ever be on my bucket list.

Yeah, it's not a purchase I can justify, just day dreaming. Besides, one of the things I "love" about my truck is how much I don't actually care about it, it's great as a beater. Whereas, I finally got a small chip in the windshield of my car, recently and it just about ruined my day. If I get a nice truck, I'd likely end up babying it, which defeats the purpose. I think I'll stick to the nice car, shitty truck system I've been using for the past couple of years.

As for sheep, I'm way too inexperienced and with how late I started hunting, I honestly doubt it will ever be on my bucket list.

Oh man. I’ve actually thought about trying to move to Canada at some post but for a few years just so I can hunt those. Maybe I can join isis then claim that the USA isn’t being nice to me due to being a terrorist so I need asylum in Canada....I bet they take me!!!

Just joking of course, I should probably just book a hunt like 5 years from now and just pay for it in installments or something. After the sheep show a few years ago, I actually had people calling me about “financing” a stone sheep hunt lol, like borrowing 35k at 15%....WTF???? I guess people actually do it. It’s not so much coming up with the money as much as it is justifying dropping that sort of coin on a hunt.

The real fun is getting the equipment and learning to build yourself

Any recommendations for a quality kit? That would make more sense for me seeing how I was going to rip apart an AK to use slr and other parts anyway.

If Rifle Dynamics wasn't so damn expensive I would just get one of those. They have customizable options that are essentially what I want. Spending 3k on an AK however is a no from me.

Any recommendations for a quality kit? That would make more sense for me seeing how I was going to rip apart an AK to use slr and other parts anyway.

If Rifle Dynamics wasn't so damn expensive I would just get one of those. They have customizable options that are essentially what I want. Spending 3k on an AK however is a no from me.
Jim Fuller is fool that loves the smell of his own farts. Fuller and Krebs both are riding the boutique market hard. Krebs has done a lot for builders though, Fuller is more an opportunist. I’m glad you aren’t diving in for a smell of his farts too! He did release a video showing his “dehorning” process, it’s the same shit most AK guys do to clean up their builds. Military factories (like Arsenal, Zastava, Cugir) don’t do it because they primarily build rifles for soldiers, the civilian market is secondary. The stuff those guys (boutique builders) do can be done by most folks with the tools and the time to learn. There’s no magic involved... I’m going to just answer your question and stop rambling about Fuller, sorry.

There are some nice kits coming from WBP Poland. It is new production and it looks promising. There are still some Tula kits floating around, but you’d be paying more for the history than function. The Romanian and Yugo stuff is always available. Arms of America, Atlantic Firearms, Apex, AK builder, and what-a-country are all pretty good for sourcing kits. A lot of it depends on what tickles your fancy. Sidefolders seem like all the rage now, along with FSB/gasblock combos. Beryl kits will allow for a more modernized Kalash build off the jump. I’ll attempt to include a link...
https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/co...e-ak47-diy-sbr-ready-kit-detail.html?Itemid=0
And...

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/co...-mid-length-ak47-diy-kit-detail.html?Itemid=0
Something to consider with receivers... Nodak Spud sources from Morrissey. Many will claim the NDS receivers are built to a higher standard than what Morrissey puts out for themselves, but that is simply speculation. It has been confirmed factually that they do source from them. As far as building tools, anything you don’t already have in you garage check Toth Tool to compensate. You could build in your kitchen using only toth tools and AK builder tools if you wanted to get creative! The rivet smasher made from a bolt cutter (by changing out the jaws) is pure genius.
*Also, I don’t want to scare anyone away from quality factory rifles. It just hurts my old heart knowing an Arsenal will run you half again what a good AR will. It feels like the entirety of the AK market has turned into a boutique market. It’s not a great time to dive into Kalash types. But the rifles built by factories that produce for warriors the world over should serve most folks well enough. I’d hate to think I discouraged anyone from falling in love with Kalashnikovs. I caught the bug hard some years back and felt like I missed the golden age, I just couldn’t imagine trying to dive in now in the current market:(.

Last edited:
Jim Fuller is fool that loves the smell of his own farts. Fuller and Krebs both are riding the boutique market hard. Krebs has done a lot for builders though, Fuller is more an opportunist. I’m glad you aren’t diving in for a smell of his farts too! He did release a video showing his “dehorning” process, it’s the same shit most AK guys do to clean up their builds. Military factories (like Arsenal, Zastava, Cugir) don’t do it because they primarily build rifles for soldiers, the civilian market is secondary. The stuff those guys (boutique builders) do can be done by most folks with the tools and the time to learn. There’s no magic involved... I’m going to just answer your question and stop rambling about Fuller, sorry.

There are some nice kits coming from WBP Poland. It is new production and it looks promising. There are still some Tula kits floating around, but you’d be paying more for the history than function. The Romanian and Yugo stuff is always available. Arms of America, Atlantic Firearms, Apex, AK builder, and what-a-country are all pretty good for sourcing kits. A lot of it depends on what tickles your fancy. Sidefolders seem like all the rage now, along with FSB/gasblock combos. Beryl kits will allow for a more modernized Kalash build off the jump. I’ll attempt to include a link...
https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/co...e-ak47-diy-sbr-ready-kit-detail.html?Itemid=0
And...

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/co...-mid-length-ak47-diy-kit-detail.html?Itemid=0
Something to consider with receivers... Nodak Spud sources from Morrissey. Many will claim the NDS receivers are built to a higher standard than what Morrissey puts out for themselves, but that is simply speculation. It has been confirmed factually that they do source from them. As far as building tools, anything you don’t already have in you garage check Toth Tool to compensate. You could build in your kitchen using only toth tools and AK builder tools if you wanted to get creative! The rivet smasher made from a bolt cutter (by changing out the jaws) is pure genius.
*Also, I don’t want to scare anyone away from quality factory rifles. It just hurts my old heart knowing an Arsenal will run you half again what a good AR will. It feels like the entirety of the AK market has turned into a boutique market. It’s not a great time to dive into Kalash types. But the rifles built by factories that produce for warriors the world over should serve most folks well enough. I’d hate to think I discouraged anyone from falling in love with Kalashnikovs. I caught the bug hard some years back and felt like I missed the golden age, I just couldn’t imagine trying to dive in now in the current market:(.

Haha alright thanks. I know basically nothing about AK's.

Is there a quality AK equivalent of this? Basically one without furniture.
LE6920-OEM2-2.jpg

Thoughts on the RPK receiver/barrel based AK's?

Haha alright thanks. I know basically nothing about AK's.
Then building from a blank receiver may not be a great entry. It is a bit of work, it’s an old world craft. A 12 ton (at least, 20 is better) press is recommended, although there are the Toth Tool and AK builder workarounds.

Is there a quality AK equivalent of this? Basically one without furniture.
LE6920-OEM2-2.jpg
Here is the same type with completed receiver.
https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/co...rreled-receiver-for-sale-detail.html?Itemid=0
Here is a more traditional polish akm...
https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/co...ol-wbp-barreled-receiver-detail.html?Itemid=0
These completed receiver kits just need furniture and a trigger group. I’d avoid the G2 trigger group as it’s known for beating the shit of the carrier tail, sometimes to the point of deformation that can cause the carrier to bind. Or you could always find a nice Saiga and convert that rascal to a AK-103 series. You can still occasionally find a decent deal for a Saiga sporter on the secondary market.
Thoughts on the RPK receiver/barrel based AK's?
The Vepr is cream of the crop. If you can find a Vepr in its sporter form, it’s not that much harder to convert than a Saiga. Heavier barrel, receiver, and trunnions. The only thing people can find to criticize is that it’s “overbuilt”.

Then building from a blank receiver may not be a great entry. It is a bit of work, it’s an old world craft. A 12 ton (at least, 20 is better) press is recommended, although there are the Toth Tool and AK builder workarounds.

Ok, yeah I won't be doing that.

Here is the same type with completed receiver.
https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/co...rreled-receiver-for-sale-detail.html?Itemid=0
Here is a more traditional polish akm...
https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/co...ol-wbp-barreled-receiver-detail.html?Itemid=0
These completed receiver kits just need furniture and a trigger group. I’d avoid the G2 trigger group as it’s known for beating the shit of the carrier tail, sometimes to the point of deformation that can cause the carrier to bind. Or you could always find a nice Saiga and convert that rascal to a AK-103 series. You can still occasionally find a decent deal for a Saiga sporter on the secondary market.

Alright thanks. I need to watch some videos on taking them apart, changing parts, etc. I've read a few build threads that are basically rifle dynamic clones but $1000 cheaper. I do like the look of their builds so I would be interested in some parts that are/look similar.

Question on dehorning from previous post. They are just little burrs and sharp edges no? Do the milled AK's have that "issue"?

Yeah I know Geissele's partner company alg makes an AK trigger. I think Elftmann does or used to but it's expensive.

The Vepr is cream of the crop. If you can find a Vepr in its sporter form, it’s not that much harder to convert than a Saiga. Heavier barrel, receiver, and trunnions. The only thing people can find to criticize is that it’s “overbuilt”.

I don't see how that's a complaint unless they mean the weight aspect.

Ok, yeah I won't be doing that.

Alright thanks. I need to watch some videos on taking them apart, changing parts, etc. I've read a few build threads that are basically rifle dynamic clones but $1000 cheaper. I do like the look of their builds so I would be interested in some parts that are/look similar.
It’s all pretty basic in regards to furniture. There is a retainer for the bottom handguard, it has a lever that locks into a groove in the barrel. The upper handguard rolls into u (or n I suppose) shaped welds on the gas tube. The gas tube locks into the gasblock with a similar lever that’s found on handguard retainer. The stiff ones (and they should be stiff) can be manipulated with the slots in the tube that houses the cleaning kit. As far as stripping them down, it is incredibly easy. Dust cover, spring, bolt and carrier, gas tube and she’s naked. It’s that easy. The trigger group is held in with retaining pins, the pins held in place by a shepards crook or retaining plate. Then the safety twists out easily. Buttstock is held in with screws. Muzzle devices are held in place with a tension pin towards the base of the threads. The rest needs a press or other specialized tools.

Question on dehorning from previous post. They are just little burrs and sharp edges no? Do the milled AK's have that "issue"?

Yeah I know Geissele's partner company alg makes an AK trigger. I think Elftmann does or used to but it's expensive.

I don't see how that's a complaint unless they mean the weight aspect.
Most of the deburring is in the trigger group and other friction points. I’ll see if I can track down the Video from Rifle Dynamics themselves when I get home later. The milled receivers are more durable. Some claim it’s more accurate, due to less flex. I’m not certain if that’s true. People (pussies) complain about the weight of both milled rifles and AKs with thicker receivers and bulged trunnions (rpk carbines like the Vepr, Opap). It’s negligible in my opinion, and worth the trade off.

That's a lot to hunt man.

Yeah it’s a shitload which is why it will probably never happen unless I were to relocate to Canada but I don’t rewlly see that happening. I’ve alrewdy shot a desert sheep and put in for preference points each year for Rocky Mountain bighorns, I can hunt Dall sheep, mountain goats, moose, caribou, blacktails and bears yearly and put in for the draw on musk ox and elk here in AK so paying 45k to hunt in Canada is stupid.

I could see though after I getting my Rocky Mountain bighorn re thinking the Canada thing when the grand slam only needs that one last sheep to get in the books.

Yeah it’s a shitload which is why it will probably never happen unless I were to relocate to Canada but I don’t rewlly see that happening. I’ve alrewdy shot a desert sheep and put in for preference points each year for Rocky Mountain bighorns, I can hunt Dall sheep, mountain goats, moose, caribou, blacktails and bears yearly and put in for the draw on musk ox and elk here in AK so paying 45k to hunt in Canada is stupid.

I could see though after I getting my Rocky Mountain bighorn re thinking the Canada thing when the grand slam only needs that one last sheep to get in the books.

How much is it for a Canadian?

If you know any Canadians could you hypothetically pay them to "accompany" them and be a "spotter".

For a Canadian its probably the cost of a license. For non residents they have to hire a guide which is there all the $$$ goes.

Alaska is the same, I can hunt for 125 bucks or so, non residents will spend 20k + for dall sheep hunts.

For a Canadian its probably the cost of a license. For non residents they have to hire a guide which is there all the $$$ goes.

Alaska is the same, I can hunt for 125 bucks or so, non residents will spend 20k + for dall sheep hunts.

Do you do any guide work?

How much is it for a Canadian?

If you know any Canadians could you hypothetically pay them to "accompany" them and be a "spotter".

Yeah, it's the guides that cost money. I can't say for certain what it costs, depends on the province and animal. But from what I've seen at work, I have seen outfitters charge non-residents like $7-8K for spring bear and while I haven't seen actual numbers, I know non-residents have paid four figures for guided, out-of-season mule deer on reserves.

In Alaska as a resident you just just buy the license then decide where you want to hunt. There are units that are draw only or have restrictions based on where you live but I can pretty easily sit down with a few beers and in an hour or 2 have a pretty detailed plan for a hunt laid out. I just need to decide if I’m going farther away like I did for goats last year on kodiak island or if I want to try a random unit like say unit 9 and just book a flight in and arrange a pick up a week later.

Moose and caribou, seems like you can pretty much hunt them anywhere you see them as long as the season is going. For me in AK, the most expensive thing is booking the Bush planes.

@RerouteToRemain

Sorry I have to @ you, the yellow card makes it so I can’t always reply directly to posters.

I’m in the process of getting a guide license but I don’t know how much good it will do me as I have a full time job. I suppose I may be able to make a few bucks getting out of staters on moose and caribou if I wanted.

@RerouteToRemain

Sorry I have to @ you, the yellow card makes it so I can’t always reply directly to posters.

I’m in the process of getting a guide license but I don’t know how much good it will do me as I have a full time job. I suppose I may be able to make a few bucks getting out of staters on moose and caribou if I wanted.

I was going to say if you get it you could try to trade a Canadian guide some guided hunts in AK for a sheep hunt there.

Back