What's Your Next Purchase? V5

Fuck, I have to decrease my draw length, today pretty much confirms it. I dug my old Bowtech out of the basement and with minimal sight in, I was shooting it more consistently than my APA. I wish I could have taken more time at the shop and asked them to tweak it. Lessons learned.

@RerouteToRemain

That is something I've thought about another easy option would be just to take paying clients at an "affordable price" a few times and use that $$$ directly towards a canadian hunt. I know a few sheep areas that don't seem to get much pressure at all, I could probably easily charge somebody 15k for a week and get them on a decent ram.

Question on dehorning from previous post. They are just little burrs and sharp edges no? Do the milled AK's have that "issue"?
Sorry man, I searched high and low for that video I referenced, no luck. Both to show the process in its entirety and to give you an idea of how badly these jokers are tearing peoples teeth out. They got a bit of flack after releasing that video, no doubt why it’s gone from their YouTube page. It’s mainly the bolt carrier and trigger group that gets the working over.
Yeah I know Geissele's partner company alg makes an AK trigger. I think Elftmann does or used to but it's expensive.
ALG triggers are well regarded. I don’t run them, but many folks speak highly of them.

The good news is that it looks like I can adjust the draw length myself...probably:

@RerouteToRemain

That is something I've thought about another easy option would be just to take paying clients at an "affordable price" a few times and use that $$$ directly towards a canadian hunt. I know a few sheep areas that don't seem to get much pressure at all, I could probably easily charge somebody 15k for a week and get them on a decent ram.

How much of that 15k would you get to pocket after overhead costs?

How much of that 15k would you get to pocket after overhead costs?

I’d say for 15k it would be pretty bare bones, It would probably cost me about 1000 bucks to get from where I live to the area we hunted then back home, and probably another 2k for flights into the area.

So basically it would be no frills but that’s why it would be 10k cheaper than going with some big guiding outfit that uses lodges and picks you up at the airport etc. this would really be a working mans hunt, they would need to get themselves to anchorage, and get whatever they wanted supply wise (food, any last minute Ammo or gear purchases) then get to Merrill field and arrange their flight out to wherever we were meeting. I think out of the 15k the only thing I would include for them would be those drop flights into the Bush.

I’d probably be lucky to pocket 12k our of the 15k or less depending on exactly where we were hunting. If I was going to take somebody into the lake Clark area, I’d be looking at 800 dollars alone for my flight to port alsworth and back.

Also, they would be responsible for all of their licenses and everything, im not a guide service but then again, I’d be asking 10-15k less than one of those big guide services that is booked up for the next 3-5 years.

I’m sure I could get people who couldn’t get on with other guides but I’d have to make it very clear that while I was technically their guide, don’t expect me to do all the work.

Last edited:
Fuck, I have to decrease my draw length, today pretty much confirms it. I dug my old Bowtech out of the basement and with minimal sight in, I was shooting it more consistently than my APA. I wish I could have taken more time at the shop and asked them to tweak it. Lessons learned.

I used to get these huge sheets of paper that looked like graph paper, hang them on the wall then stand in front of them and settle into full draw and have my wife take a picture of me, it was a good way to see if I was leaning back to compensate for too long of a draw length or if I looked crunched up.

What draw length do you shoot at? I’m about 30.5.

I went into a shop today and tried some of the prime bows and the new Hoyt redworx....bad idea. My decree still shoots just fine but after playing with those carbon fiber hoyts I got back and just sort of looked at my decree with disgust.

VP9-SK-Web-1024x752-Ext.jpg

H&K VP9 SK in 9mm.

I used to get these huge sheets of paper that looked like graph paper, hang them on the wall then stand in front of them and settle into full draw and have my wife take a picture of me, it was a good way to see if I was leaning back to compensate for too long of a draw length or if I looked crunched up.

What draw length do you shoot at? I’m about 30.5.

I went into a shop today and tried some of the prime bows and the new Hoyt redworx....bad idea. My decree still shoots just fine but after playing with those carbon fiber hoyts I got back and just sort of looked at my decree with disgust.
Manlet DL; I was measured @ 26" when I bought my Bowtech, so when I ordered my APA over the phone, I went by that measurement. Ended up being a bit long, I got used to it and I guess it created some bad habits which I'm now trying to unfuck with a more appropriate draw length. Too late to go through a massive overhaul, I'll just work on grip for the next month before opening day.

Manlet DL; I was measured @ 26" when I bought my Bowtech, so when I ordered my APA over the phone, I went by that measurement. Ended up being a bit long, I got used to it and I guess it created some bad habits which I'm now trying to unfuck with a more appropriate draw length. Too late to go through a massive overhaul, I'll just work on grip for the next month before opening day.

Manlet....psssht. I wish my draw length was 26”, there would be so many more bows to choose from.

Being 6’4 I can pull 85-90lbs but there’s usually like 5 bows that will fit me.

Manlet....psssht. I wish my draw length was 26”, there would be so many more bows to choose from.

Being 6’4 I can pull 85-90lbs but there’s usually like 5 bows that will fit me.
Yeah, looks like either extreme end of the spectrum kinda sucks. 28-29" seems to be the best draw length to have, but I can't change my genetics.

Don't get me wrong, despite not shooting my Bowtech much anymore, it does hold a special place in that it was the bow that got me into archery; I never would have been able to start on the bow I currently have. At the same time, once I got good enough, I always felt a little handicapped as someone with a short draw length, so I gravitated towards something faster, that kept a small form factor. It was a bonus that APA was a "local" small business, even better that it's very user serviceable...but finicky.

Looks like something Batman would have.
Yeah. That pinky rest on the magazine makes it look Batman-esque. It felt great in my hand, and I've been wanting to try out a H&K product for a while now.

Yeah. That pinky rest on the magazine makes it look Batman-esque. It felt great in my hand, and I've been wanting to try out a H&K product for a while now.

I’ve shot the full size version of that gun, it’s pretty nice. I like HK pistols, great guns.

Last bit of pre-season "maintenance", my broadheads fly well but I've been killing vanes in the process. Finally ordered a Bitzenburger and just enough miscellaneous tools and accessories to qualify for free shipping.

Last bit of pre-season "maintenance", my broadheads fly well but I've been killing vanes in the process. Finally ordered a Bitzenburger and just enough miscellaneous tools and accessories to qualify for free shipping.

Have you bought a bow press yet?

Talking about draw lengths reminded me of a guy I used to elk hunt with, the guy was like 6’8 and like 275lbs, not fat just a big ass dude,he had a 36” draw length and he only hunted with a trad now because he could get them custom made for that draw length. Even a bout double x or whatever that massive bow they make is called only goes to 33”.

Talking about draw lengths reminded me of a guy I used to elk hunt with, the guy was like 6’8 and like 275lbs, not fat just a big ass dude,he had a 36” draw length and he only hunted with a trad now because he could get them custom made for that draw length. Even a bout double x or whatever that massive bow they make is called only goes to 33”.
That'll be for after the season...as long as my string holds up until then. I'm looking at getting a press, vise and draw board so I can do more work and tuning on my own. My current bow doesn't actually require a press for most maintenance but I'd love one for restringing.

Last edited:

Just got offered more OT tomorrow, fuck it, gonna check out a Last Chance Archery EZ Green Press, EZ Green Vise and Draw Board.

Back