Media “Shout out to my brothers Khabib and Dustin” - Blessed

Love this guy but it’s clear he’s walking into an L here & I think he knows it.

hope he moves up & kills it.

Can't wait for this fight.

Will be interesting to see if Max made the necessary adjustments and if so, how Volkanovski reacts to it.

Max is great and I'm a fan, but I think he loses this one
Hope I'm wrong.

I feel like max is counting on a hail Mary knee or something like that. I get the impression that he does have something up his sleeve, but If it doesn't work, I expect him to lose even more clearly than he did the first time

Max Holloway is going to get beat this weekend and retire.

Putting your kid in your corner when you're about to get a potentially severe beating sounds like a good idea and responsible parenting.
I have no idea why he always brings his kid.

Holloway's never been a sore loser, he takes both winning and losing even-keeled. But the first fight was a shutdown, never close.

Athletes who can look at themselves from the 3rd person improve the most and then have a better chance in a rematch. If Max thinks he won he could just easily do similar things, which Volk gameplanned for. It's a big reason why this rematch doesn't interest me (but it is nonetheless significant).

How can you not like Max? He's a great person. Win or lose this weekend, he's a bad ass. Remember, the best is blessed and it is what it is.
He is one of the hardest dudes in the sport to not like. He's up there with Frankie Edgar and Neil Magny as far as likeable dudes in MMA go.

Holloway's never been a sore loser, he takes both winning and losing even-keeled. But the first fight was a shutdown, never close.

Athletes who can look at themselves from the 3rd person improve the most and then have a better chance in a rematch. If Max thinks he won he could just easily do similar things, which Volk gameplanned for. It's a big reason why this rematch doesn't interest me (but it is nonetheless significant).
I tend to agree -- I'm sure as hell going to watch the fight and look forward to it, but only because both fighters are very gifted. I don't view it as a particularly interesting fight. The first fight was very technical and impressive but generally uneventful and not very close imo (not that Max got ragdolled, but I felt he lost soundly). I won't be surprised if Max wins, but I guess my point is that the first fight simply did not warrant an immediate rematch imo. However, with the precedent of immediate rematches being set long ago in the UFC for far lesser deserving fighters/performances, I can see why the UFC made it.

Putting your kid in your corner when you're about to get a potentially severe beating sounds like a good idea and responsible parenting.

Watching Daddy get his face turned into Hamburger is character building.
Coleman2.jpg

Like Coleman/Fedor though, at least Volkanovski seems pretty cool.

Was pretty standard in Maori culture, then lefty pc tree huggers suddenly found a voice and here we are.

Watching Daddy get his face turned into Hamburger is character building.
Coleman2.jpg

Like Coleman/Fedor though, at least Volkanovski seems pretty cool.
Yap, I'm sure Miniblessed is a tough kid, but he's still that, a kid.

I tend to agree -- I'm sure as hell going to watch the fight and look forward to it, but only because both fighters are very gifted. I don't view it as a particularly interesting fight. The first fight was very technical and impressive but generally uneventful and not very close imo (not that Max got ragdolled, but I felt he lost soundly). I won't be surprised if Max wins, but I guess my point is that the first fight simply did not warrant an immediate rematch imo. However, with the precedent of immediate rematches being set long ago in the UFC for far lesser deserving fighters/performances, I can see why the UFC made it.
I believe the UFC looks forward to potential trilogies, which are the big ones. Hence they don't want to risk it by the recent champ with a big contract losing a UFN-type main event to another contender. It's rather easier to book the rematch so that the UFC gets paid for what they pay Max. If he loses again, then do the UFN headliner or a spot high on a PPV.

It was a clear win for Volk, so as a fan an immediate rematch seems pointless. There has to be competitiveness to get excited about a second go around.

Was pretty standard in Maori culture, then lefty pc tree huggers suddenly found a voice and here we are.
So was cannibalism. I'm far from a leftist tree hugger but seeing your father get beaten to a bloody pulp as a <10 year old will have it's effects on the childs psyche.

I just rewatched the fight it was a lot closer than i remembered. 3-2 Volk. Volk was noticeably tiring in the 4th/5th as Max was picking up the pace despite getting his legs smashed for the first 3 rounds.
Also I think round 2 was closer than I thought, I scored it for Volk but it wasn't a blowout.

I can see why Max would think that...and think he can win this with some adjustments.

People are frequently off base with this fight. Every round was reasonably close. Volk won a clean cut decision in a fight that looked like medium-hard sparring.

NOBODY GOT HURT in this fight. Nobody was remotely in any danger, nobody even got wobbled. It wasn't a domination or a beating by any sane measure. Max got marginally out pointed in a workman like decision.

I love both guys and Volk is incredible, truly, but this was point fighting at its finest. There is nothing to suggest Max can't win.

I believe the UFC looks forward to potential trilogies, which are the big ones. Hence they don't want to risk it by the recent champ with a big contract losing a UFN-type main event to another contender. It's rather easier to book the rematch so that the UFC gets paid for what they pay Max. If he loses again, then do the UFN headliner or a spot high on a PPV.

It was a clear win for Volk, so as a fan an immediate rematch seems pointless. There has to be competitiveness to get excited about a second go around.
That's a very good point -- I didn't quite look at it that way initially but you are probably correct here. I guess the only downside, however, is that after the trilogy, it makes it hard for Volk or Holloway (or someone in their position) to get another title shot so long as the person that potentially beat them twice is champ.

Reactions: MCS
Back