2017 Boxer of the Year

Should ban anyone who says Canner in here

Srisaket, Jack (going to be forgotten unfortunately), Berchelt, Mikey, GGG or Crawford are all contenders.

I say Srisaket for sure though. He came from relative obscurity and beat the best in the world. Twice.

Sor Rungvisai and Lomachenko

1 Sor Rungvisai
2 Lomachenko
3 Joshua
4 Crawford
5 Ward
6 Santa Cruz
7 Linares
8 Usyk
9 Hurd
10 Jack

Sor Rungvisai should definitely win.

Sor Rungvisai for me. Beat a P4Per and repeated to prove it was no fluke.

Everyone else mentioned beat guys they were expected to beat.

Srisaket Sor Rungvisai (easy)

Srisaket for the two Roman wins, even tho Roman should've won the first one.

Estrada beats him next year. Can't wait for that fight.

Srisaket seems to fit the bill quite nicely.

I can see why people would go for Crawford, loma, Joshua or Ward.

Sor or Lomachenko...

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/21839705/terence-crawford-wins-espn-2017-fighter-year-honors

Dan can't give the dude an honorable mention...

gKrzK_s-200x150.gif

1. Billy Joe Saunders - Went from can status to solidifying himself to real contender status by completely outclassing Willie Monroe and Davis Lemieux

2. Lomachenko - Outclassed Sosa, Marriaga, and Rigo

3. Sullivan Barrera - Win over Joe Smith, Valera, and some other guy

4. Jarrett Hurd - Win over Tony Harrison, and Austin Trout
Uhhh sri??

This years 'Fighter of the Year' for some reason is more gripping than the other years.

- Crawford only beat two B class fighters (becoming unified champion is because circumstances worked out for him). He beat them both in great style, though.

- Lomachenko beat a B class fighter, a B- fighter and beat one of the best boxers of all time in such a way that size wasn't a factor. Every single fighter said 'No Mas' and there are whispers about him being potentially the best ever.

- Sor Rungvisai beat but arguably lost, in the opinion of a majority, the first fight against the solid P4P no.1 and ATG Roman Gonzalez. He then knocked him out the next time.

- Andre Ward beat but arguably lost, in the opinion of a majority, the first fight against the solid P4P no.3 and monster in Sergey Kovalev - came back from knockdowns as a result of first-big fight jitters in years. He then made Kovalev quit.

The question is, who is better: A more war torn and small Roman Gonzalez at 115lbs or Sergey Kovalev at 175lbs?

- Golovkin beat an elite fighter in Danny Jacobs and drew with Canelo. This year proved Golovkin isn't the ATG that many of us were thinking he could be, and it is a reminder for us to hold our horses before we think of putting him in mythical matchups against the likes of Hopkins, Jones Jr, Toney, Monzon, Hagler etc. BUT he still did achieve a win and a draw against two elite fighters. The problem is, I think Jacobs has a solid case for winning and I also think the Draw was the right call.
The majority do think Danny and Canelo lost to Golovkin, though.

Who should win? Please, anyone but Terence Crawford (who I actually quite like).

The question is, who is better: A more war torn and small Roman Gonzalez at 115lbs or Sergey Kovalev at 175lbs?).
Easy answer, it was Gonzalez. He beat better quality opposition than Kovalev and was ranked #1 P4P by a lot of people.

he picked ryan freakin' burnett over Sri. Damn. No love.
Seriously if @Queen B can ask his buddy why is list and explanations are hilariously idiotic and can let us know if he did any research or just used the search function on esb that would be useful.

Why is fat dan ignoring Sri?

This years 'Fighter of the Year' for some reason is more gripping than the other years.

- Crawford only beat two B class fighters (becoming unified champion is because circumstances worked out for him). He beat them both in great style, though.

- Lomachenko beat a B class fighter, a B- fighter and beat one of the best boxers of all time in such a way that size wasn't a factor. Every single fighter said 'No Mas' and there are whispers about him being potentially the best ever.

- Sor Rungvisai beat but arguably lost, in the opinion of a majority, the first fight against the solid P4P no.1 and ATG Roman Gonzalez. He then knocked him out the next time.

- Andre Ward beat but arguably lost, in the opinion of a majority, the first fight against the solid P4P no.3 and monster in Sergey Kovalev - came back from knockdowns as a result of first-big fight jitters in years. He then made Kovalev quit.

The question is, who is better: A more war torn and small Roman Gonzalez at 115lbs or Sergey Kovalev at 175lbs?

- Golovkin beat an elite fighter in Danny Jacobs and drew with Canelo. This year proved Golovkin isn't the ATG that many of us were thinking he could be, and it is a reminder for us to hold our horses before we think of putting him in mythical matchups against the likes of Hopkins, Jones Jr, Toney, Monzon, Hagler etc. BUT he still did achieve a win and a draw against two elite fighters. The problem is, I think Jacobs has a solid case for winning and I also think the Draw was the right call.
The majority do think Danny and Canelo lost to Golovkin, though.

Who should win? Please, anyone but Terence Crawford (who I actually quite like).

When you put it in perspective like you just did then I'd have to go with Lomachenko being fighter of the year.

I don't get how anyone could say size was no factor in Lomachenko/Rigondeaux. Size is a factor for a guy moving up 2 weight classes, especially a guy small for the weight class he's moving up from.

Lomachenko dominated him but come on now, give this win the same criticism everyone gave Floyd, Canelo and Golovkin when they fought smaller guys.

Easy answer, it was Gonzalez. He beat better quality opposition than Kovalev and was ranked #1 P4P by a lot of people.
It's not very easy for me to say, because to me Roman Gonzalez at the weight classes below went from being someone who's better than Estrada, to being probably worse than him, at 115. In the first fight, Cuadras arguably beat him (although I don't think so).

Chocolatito had clearly achieved more in his career, he's a certified ATG and Kovalev isn't.

I don't get how anyone could say size was no factor in Lomachenko/Rigondeaux. Size is a factor for a guy moving up 2 weight classes, especially a guy small for the weight class he's moving up from.

Lomachenko dominated him but come on now, give this win the same criticism everyone gave Floyd, Canelo and Golovkin when they fought smaller guys.
The fight wasn't won on size whatsoever, despite moving up two weight classes. Lomachenko didn't use physicality, nor try to blitz Rigo with power the way Crawford blitzed Gamboa. Lomachenko's punches were pretty light. It was actually Rigondeaux who was doing the wrestling.

Theoretically, we all expected size to pay at least a noticeable factor, but shockingly it didn't. No one expected to see a GOAT amateur being checkmated via skills like THAT.

Therefore, the way Lomachenko beat Rigondeaux must be considered. It makes me wonder just how good Walters and Russell Jr. are, because Rigondeaux performed worse than both on the basis of skills.

That's embarrassing. Dan's reputation has really taken a massive hit over the years. He has Joshua ranked 3rd. I'm not opposed to that but is beating a 41 year old Klitschko coming off a huge layoff and a loss, or beating Carlos Takam, really bigger than beating Roman both times? I don't think so.

Also why is Ryan Burnett even ranked? Yea he had some nice wins on paper, but Lee Haskins was a paper champion and Zhanat only had one big win.

I don't see the size as factor in this fight because of the way Lomachenko boxed Rigo. He used movement and speed to bamboozle him not power, size or strength to bulldoze him. It wouldn't have mattered if they had of been the same weight, Lomachenko still could have won the exact same way he did here.

Lomachenko-1
Sor Rungvasai-2

But, honestly, both had great years, and I'd be happy with either one.

The fight wasn't won on size whatsoever, despite moving up two weight classes. Lomachenko didn't use physicality, nor try to blitz Rigo with power the way Crawford blitzed Gamboa. Lomachenko's punches were pretty light. It was actually Rigondeaux who was doing the wrestling.

Theoretically, we all expected size to pay at least a noticeable factor, but shockingly it didn't. No one expected to see a GOAT amateur being checkmated via skills like THAT.

Therefore, the way Lomachenko beat Rigondeaux must be considered. It makes me wonder just how good Walters and Russell Jr. are, because Rigondeaux performed worse than both on the basis of skills.

Russell Jr. might be something special (I don't see a special fighter, but he is definitely good; I just wish he didn't have his injury issues and would/could get in the ring more often against relevant competition). Walters is, at best, merely good. We saw him have his troubles with two thoroughly mediocre fighters in Marriaga and Sosa before fighting Lomachenko.

I just realized Walters hasn't fought since Loma. I wasn't expecting HBO to pick him up again given his lack of heart, but he's had absolutely nothing. Not even local shows in Jamaica against scrubs or anything.

Back