2022 Motor racing thread

UPDATE: Joe Gibbs Racing will not appeal the penalties to Denny Hamlin and Kyle Busch.

UPDATE 2: Joe Gibbs Racing statement:

“In our review of the post-race infractions on the 11 and 18 cars at Pocono it was discovered that a single piece of clear tape was positioned over each of the lower corners of the front fascia ahead of the left-front and right-front wheel openings on both those cars. The added pieces were 2 inches wide and 5 ½ inches long with a thickness of 0.012 inches and installed under the wrap. This change in our build process was not properly vetted within our organization and we recognize it is against NASCAR’s rules. We apologize to everyone for this mistake, and we have made changes to our processes to ensure that it does not happen again.”

– Wally Brown, Director of Competition for Joe Gibbs Racing

Why did they do it if it doesn't gain an advantage and how long have they been doing it? This might be a case where all of their points and wins for the season should be stripped.

Why did they do it if it doesn't gain an advantage and how long have they been doing it? This might be a case where all of their points and wins for the season should be stripped.

I'm sure they got an advantage from it. Not like they're gonna come out and admit it.

Nascar has always been about skirting the rules. If they got away with it in the past, then good on them. It's Nascar's job to catch them.

I'm sure they got an advantage from it. Not like they're gonna come out and admit it.

Nascar has always been about skirting the rules. If they got away with it in the past, then good on them. It's Nascar's job to catch them.

Prior to the start of this season, NASCAR made it known to the teams that any violation of the rules would be dealt with harshly including elimination from championship contention. They wanted to end any thought of cheating. I was involved in racing at tracks in the 1960s where anyone caught in violation of the rules forfeited all of the points they had accumulated for the season. The only way to stop cheating is to deal very harshly with it.

Porsche's foray into Formula 1 is nearly finalized. They are proposing to buy 50% of Red Bull and be the power unit supplier in 2026. I was hoping Porsche would have their own team, but this interesting as well.

Perez doesn't make it into Q3. He originally had a lap deleted then reinstated but that time wasn't good enough to make it into Q3 and he didn't improve it on his second run when he was sent out on used tires. I wonder if Red Bull thought his original time would be good enough.

Perez doesn't make it into Q3. He originally had a lap deleted then reinstated but that time wasn't good enough to make it into Q3 and he didn't improve it on his second run when he was sent out on used tires. I wonder if Red Bull thought his original time would be good enough.
It’s weird. They must have had the note from the steward that the time was deleted prior to sending him out on used tires. So they sent him out thinking he could still make it threw on used tires. I think someone from Ferrari must have hacked their strategist.

Russell takes the pole from Sainz as Verstappen has power problems and Hamilton has a DRS issue.
Was a consistently good lap for Russell. Didn’t set any purple sectors, but still got pole. Look for leclerc to get away well from the better side of the track and all three front runners being close in turn 1.

Let’s go, George!!!! That was a great last lap to get his first career pole! Very well done! Glad Mercedes’ got pole as Lewis suffered from DRS malfunction.

The surprise of the day was Red Bull. Perez just couldn’t find his groove, gets P11. Max having electrical trouble, gets P10. We’ll see how the reliability shakes out tomorrow.

It’s weird. They must have had the note from the steward that the time was deleted prior to sending him out on used tires. So they sent him out thinking he could still make it threw on used tires. I think someone from Ferrari must have hacked their strategist.

I don't believe Red Bull could have thought that Perez could make it into Q3 on used tires as it was pretty clear that the times were going down. I guess I didn't know what their tire situation was at the time.

Let’s go, George!!!! That was a great last lap to get his first career pole! Very well done! Glad Mercedes’ got pole as Lewis suffered from DRS malfunction.

The surprise of the day was Red Bull. Perez just couldn’t find his groove, gets P11. Max having electrical trouble, gets P10. We’ll see how the reliability shakes out tomorrow.

I suspect that Ferrari will find a strategy to screw up again.

Just under 90 minutes til the start.

It *should* be a Ferrari win (and probably a 1-2), but thats been the case plenty of other times this year. The mixed grid means there's plenty to play for.

Indycar season has been hotting up. Will Power is back in the championship lead with 4 races left, with 4-5 others in the hunt, including Dixon and Newgarden.

Just under 90 minutes til the start.

It *should* be a Ferrari win (and probably a 1-2), but thats been the case plenty of other times this year. The mixed grid means there's plenty to play for.

Indycar season has been hotting up. Will Power is back in the championship lead with 4 races left, with 4-5 others in the hunt, including Dixon and Newgarden.
You saved me. For some reason I was thinking a 10am start and wondering how I can kill two hours. Forgot that that was quali time.

I suspect that Ferrari will find a strategy to screw up again.

I was correct. Ferrari are pathetic. I think Mercedes could have left Hamilton out longer on the first set of tires and done one stop with possibly a chance to win. They still did well to take second and third. Red Bull won by undercut.

Back