2024 Motorsports Thread

Crazy Daytona finish. I bumped into it while looking for something else. I don't follow the sport but the las 30 minutes was crazy.

I bumped into another race again. Watched the last 30 minutes of the Atlanta Nascar race what a Damm finish! I never watch this sport was hanging out with a friend and it was on one of the tvs at the sports bar.

PSA that Bahrain and Saudi GPs are a day earlier than usual (so race is Saturday local time).

I didn't know that they were going to be a day early. I looked it up and it's because Ramadan starts Sunday March 10th so the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix had to be moved up. There have to be at least 7 days between races so The Bahrain race also had to be moved up. I didn't know that the Islamic calendar is based on cycles of the moon not the orbit of the Earth. The year only has 354 or 355 days because the cycles of the moon don't coincide precisely with the number of times the earth rotates. Just like the earth doesn't rotate and even number of times in one revolution of the sun. I'm accustomed to two weeks between races but as they add races they have more with only a week between with the off season and the summer break.

I've been thinking of ways to make Formula One interesting. How about only having qualifying for the first race of the season? In each race after that, start the field in the reverse order of the finish of the previous race.

I've been thinking of ways to make Formula One interesting. How about only having qualifying for the first race of the season? In each race after that, start the field in the reverse order of the finish of the previous race.

They should go backwards

I was thinking the point system can be revamped. 1st place - 20 points, 2nd -19 points, 3rd - 18 points, and so on all the way down the grid. That way, the top teams don't get so far out in front of the rest of the field and it will make every race count, especially with DNFs. The 2nd tier teams get points and chances to jump ranks if they're consistent and other teams are not. Overall, I think keeping the points close between the teams would make every race mean more over the long haul of the season.

Advice from Tony Stewart:

"Allow fans on the track so we can run them over."

I was thinking the point system can be revamped. 1st place - 20 points, 2nd -19 points, 3rd - 18 points, and so on all the way down the grid. That way, the top teams don't get so far out in front of the rest of the field and it will make every race count, especially with DNFs. The 2nd tier teams get points and chances to jump ranks if they're consistent and other teams are not. Overall, I think keeping the points close between the teams would make every race mean more over the long haul of the season.
There should be points all the way down the grid. I can understand maybe putting more than one point between first and second. Maybe 25 for first 21 for second 18 for third then 17 and down the rest of the field by one point.

I am looking for a way to have some passing and inverted fields would be a change from the current parade races.

I don't know if Red Bull was sandbagging in P2. Hamilton and Russell set the fastest times but seemed slower on long runs.

I don't know if Red Bull was sandbagging in P2. Hamilton and Russell set the fastest times but seemed slower on long runs.
Max complained about the car bouncing. Same thing Merc drivers complained about with their sidepod thing, RB made similar one for this season. We see how that goes for them.

There should be points all the way down the grid. I can understand maybe putting more than one point between first and second. Maybe 25 for first 21 for second 18 for third then 17 and down the rest of the field by one point.

I am looking for a way to have some passing and inverted fields would be a change from the current parade races.

From all the reports on long run data, Max has .3 to .4 seconds a lap on the field on long runs. It seems we are in for a repeat this year where even if someone comes close to Max in qualifying or even beats him, he will walk away from the field and then coast to victory. We didn't really ever see his true pace last year, he built a gap and coasted. I am betting that will happen again.

Though the good news is the rest of the field looks very tight. It will be Formula Max and then the rest of the field.

I think we see red bull turn up the car in Fp3 and they are way ahead of the rest. Will be interesting to see how checo rebounds from last year. Not sure he can tbh. He’ll be competing for second when it shouldn’t even be close.

As expected Max on the pole.
If the long pace analysis people have done is right, as long as he is in the top 10 he will win every race short of crashing or mechanical issues. Unless the other teams can some how catch up which seems unlikely.

Max with a 4 second lead on lap 4, just give him the WDC now lol

Yeah. That was an easy win. On another note, is Jos gunning for Horners job? He seems hell bent on getting hornier out of the team principal role.

What’s up with race control? It took them 13 laps to let us know they noted landos potential jump start. They have the data to make a call on that right away.

Back