3D printed Gun restrictions lifted per DOJ ruling.

The funny thing about this is that torrent sites have already had many plans available to download. I've had some downloaded before i even bought a gun

The website where these files will be listed was named in the article in the original post, but here it is in case anyone missed it:

defcad.com

Oddly enough, the website is not allowed due to a court order to give any information to mobile devices. The only way you can access this information is through a desktop computer.

There appears to be a concerted effort to keep this information from getting out.
Hmm the website seems to have too much traffic, when I press download it doesn't respond.

Gonna try to download as many weapons as I can.

Wait for downloads open up August 1?

This is another media hype job to scare people. Be honest with yourselves: how many people do you know that own a 3D printer? I know zero and presume the total amount of ownership is limited.

The reality is that anybody with some tools and piping in their garage could whip up something far more dangerous for cheaper. It's been that way for a long time. 3D printing of firearms affects very little in reality.
How do you think the black market works?

Serious question.

Many, many people will Darwin themselves with this I think

I have a 3D printer. I may print something out and assemble it just to say I did. If I ever load a round and pull the trigger, it’ll be i a vice with me pulling a string a good distance away behind cover

Lol yeah, I would definitely print one of those things if I had one.

Hmm the website seems to have too much traffic, when I press download it doesn't respond.

Gonna try to download as many weapons as I can.

Wait for downloads open up August 1?
Correct, as far as I know, downloading will not be possible until August 1st.

Gonna be really awkward when the NRA starts advocating for strict gun control over this. I await the lulz.

Why would the NRA advocate for strict gun control over this? You think a manufacturer will pressure them to do so I assume?

If a Liberator is ever used in the commission of a crime Cody Wilson is the kind of human shit stain who will believe he has zero responsibility for it.

Unless he's driving the getaway car or actually there he does have zero responsibility

What you're really saying is that if 3D printing can allow the bypassing of a particular state's background check and waiting period regulations, and get a gun into the hands of someone who would have otherwise been denied one, and the person then uses that weapon to commit a murder.... No harm no foul.

I guess it takes a human shit stain to know one.

You think this is suddenly going to dump a huge amount of guns into some magical "black market"? Seriously? There are already avenues for the type of person whom you're referring to can get a firearm and surpass any current law that would have prevented it.

Right now, but that could change within the next couple of years because the technology is advancing fast.
I mean I am not saying they should be banned or anything. But it might be a good idea to come up with some regulations now.
Instead of having to play catch up later.

Be that as it may, I don't think that the regulation requires any changes other than being more lax.

How do you think the black market works?

Serious question.

I am not very sure. I suppose someone who has some sort of contraband item advertises that they have it, albeit clandestinely, and opens up to take orders?

But if you are suggesting that 3D printing will create a blackmarket for zip guns, I would contend that the demand function would remain stagnant and relatively inelastic. As is, if you wanted to make a piece of junk gun, you just need to go to Home Depot. There were instructions posted earlier in this very thread.

Be that as it may, I don't think that the regulation requires any changes other than being more lax.

I am not very sure. I suppose someone who has some sort of contraband item advertises that they have it, albeit clandestinely, and opens up to take orders?

But if you are suggesting that 3D printing will create a blackmarket for zip guns, I would contend that the demand function would remain stagnant and relatively inelastic. As is, if you wanted to make a piece of junk gun, you just need to go to Home Depot. There were instructions posted earlier in this very thread.

So you would agree that the only people interested in 3d guns are deranged off the grid type wackos then?

Why would the NRA advocate for strict gun control over this? You think a manufacturer will pressure them to do so I assume?
Yes, all of the manufacturers will go after the black market if it becomes a thing that threatens their profits.

Yes, all of the manufacturers will go after the black market if it becomes a thing that threatens their profits.
The manufacturers aren't the NRA though.

Ever notice how a company like Daniel Defense and Spikes have both distanced themselves from the NRA?

So you would agree that the only people interested in 3d guns are deranged off the grid type wackos then?

Where did you get any of that from anything I have said?

And to answer your question, no. People have interest in firearms for all sorts of reasons. Some people just appreciate interesting feats of engineering, or history. In this case, maybe somebody has any interest in polymer technology, or CAD design, or any of the other numerous reasons in which they could have an interest in this.

I think the issue would be that relatively few people can assemble their own pipe shotgun, but 3-D technology carries potential to spread amateur gun-smithing abilities much more broadly. I'm bit skeptical that homemade firearms are currently all that common.

Yeah, this seems in-line with my first instinct on the matter. I associate self-made firearms with bona fide gun enthusiasts. And, generally speaking, people who are super into guns as a recreational or engineering matter aren't the usual suspects. It's also not generally expected that imbalanced persons will exercise the patience or acumen to accumulate a real sophisticated arsenal.

Lol yeah, I would definitely print one of those things if I had one.

I built my own for around $200 fyi. Rep Rap Delta model. Tons of DIY guides online for a variety of sub $500

Yeah, this seems in-line with my first instinct on the matter. I associate self-made firearms with bona fide gun enthusiasts. And, generally speaking, people who are super into guns as a recreational or engineering matter aren't the usual suspects. It's also not generally expected that imbalanced persons will exercise the patience or acumen to accumulate a real sophisticated arsenal.
My grandfather (mind you this was the 50s) was a tool and die maker for the Minneapolis Fire Department. He bought a completed/rifled barrel (he had a lathe but no way to properly rifle a barrel himself) and proceeded to build a very simplistic 30 caliber bolt gun. He machined the receiver, bolt, firing pin and everything himself.

He then took it to the range, shot it 3 times, and proceeded to take an acetylene torch to it to cut it apart/"demil" (render unusable) the gun and threw it away.

Dad told me about it and said "he wanted to see if he could do it, when he proved to himself he could that was good enough for him"

I wish he had kept the demilled parts so I could use it as a coffee table decoration/conversation starter.

Anything that causes gun controlls to cry and lose sleep is good in my book. 3D printers can only be used to make the lower receiver anyhow, it's not like you can literally print out an AR15.

Im pro tech/Freedom of speech no matter what.

It's happening....Technology is only gonna open more Pandora boxes, and I expect people to freakout.

I fully support this 3d printing but I can see some people exploiting this but 99% of people won't.

If this is the price of freedom/technology...fuck it, lets do it....we cannot censor date files!

I think this is the beginning of the cyberpunk age...specially if criminals start becoming more tech savvy....this is it!!!!!!!!!!!

There's nothing anyone can do to stop this. It's akin to someone leaking a nude photo of a celebrity and people trying to stop it after it's already been leaked out to the internet. When something gets out to the internet, it's over and will be available to everyone forever.

Back