Media .

Typical Trump Supporter/Right Wing crybaby, "Boo hoo, I'm a piece of shit and no one likes me".
"I don't get the recognition I feel I should get for absolutely no reason"
"I call people names and make myself out to be an asshole, then everyone treats me like an asshole, why"?
I hope Usman spins this dudes head off his shoulders when they fight again.

Reactions: CPH
giphy.gif

Whoever wins it will be another great fight I hope :cool::cool:
@Paynebringer :)

Cringe.

Colby’s people would prefer if he was referred to as “victim”

First fight was close. Both have improved, we've seen it from Usman's fights and it sounds like Colby's training is going well.

No idea who to pick in the second fight. Expecting a more technical fight than the first one which was quite sloppy.
"we've seen it" vs. "it sounds like". I'll go with the one that we know has actually happened.

"we've seen it" vs. "it sounds like". I'll go with the one that we know has actually happened.

If you want to pick a winner with certainty then go ahead. I'd like to see Usman win but that's as far as I'll go.

How can you play a heel character in everything you do and then complain when people don't like you?

They are nothing alike.
Who, Chael and Colby? They both use American supremacism as a means of devaluing the cultural and racial origins of their opponents for their highest profile fights. I'm not even criticizing them for it (though it isn't to my taste) just saying they employ the same tactic. It appeals to their fan base, which is a huge portion of the MMA fanbase.

Who, Chael and Colby? They both use American supremacism as a means of devaluing the cultural and racial origins of their opponents for their highest profile fights. I'm not even criticizing them for it (though it isn't to my taste) just saying they employ the same tactic. It appeals to their fan base, which is a huge portion of the MMA fanbase.
Chael can be funny and has great delivery. Colby is not good at it he just screams some random stuff that hopefully sticks. Colby has fans cause he says things people wish they could say to people they feel superior to. It might be the same like how Brendan Schaub is a comedian just like Dave Chappelle. But they are not doing the same thing.

No one questions his abilities as a fighter,

The problem is that he's an asshole and obviously oblivious about it and it's kinda sad, because he continues to isolate himself more from the ones that he share a common interest with..

Dude's kinda dumb to be honest..

For those who may not be aware, he's putting on an act.

Colby gave interviews prior to starting his marketing persona and was a regular, nice guy. Spoke a lot about how important it was to be successful so he could take care of his parents, they had a humble background but sacrificed a lot to keep him wrestling year round.

What was really odd - when he first started playing a character, he had a few interviews, one specific I recall on Submission Radio podcast, where he would break character in the middle of the interview and act normal.

I think it was a poor choice to take on such a inflammatory character to market himself, but he was facing being cut by the UFC because he was another wrestler with no marketing behind him. Kind of ridiculous, but some of the blame goes to the UFC.

Rhonda, Brock and Conor were never remotely the best in the world at fighting. They were outrageous personalities with a huge marketing push from the UFC - they are literally marketing sensations. Guys like Colby decided to go that route with less success and all the cringe.

For those who may not be aware, he's putting on an act.

Colby gave interviews prior to starting his marketing persona and was a regular, nice guy. Spoke a lot about how important it was to be successful so he could take care of his parents, they had a humble background but sacrificed a lot to keep him wrestling year round.

What was really odd - when he first started playing a character, he had a few interviews, one specific I recall on Submission Radio podcast, where he would break character in the middle of the interview and act normal.

I think it was a poor choice to take on such a inflammatory character to market himself, but he was facing being cut by the UFC because he was another wrestler with no marketing behind him. Kind of ridiculous, but some of the blame goes to the UFC.

Rhonda, Brock and Conor were never remotely the best in the world at fighting. They were outrageous personalities with a huge marketing push from the UFC - they are literally marketing sensations. Guys like Colby decided to go that route with less success and all the cringe.

Everyone knows it’s an act. Still, choosing to play a character that calls another athlete’s family ‘trash’ says something about you as a person. This isn’t a film or even a pro wrestling setting, where everyone is playing a character and the entire context is fictional - the people he attacks are real, have kids who can hear the abuse being slung at their parent. It’s bottom of the barrel behavior.

And just because Colby used to give standard vanilla athlete interviews, visited the troops and honestly does care for his parents doesn’t mean that he isn’t an asshole. This idea that behind the persona, there is a normal, decent person is complete nonsense. The real Covington is a lowlife who stiffed his trainer, alienated training partners and is prostituting himself for a few clicks.

Everyone knows it’s an act. Still, choosing to play a character that calls another athlete’s family ‘trash’ says something about you as a person. This isn’t a film or even a pro wrestling setting, where everyone is playing a character and the entire context is fictional - the people he attacks are real, have kids who can hear the abuse being slung at their parent. It’s bottom of the barrel behavior.

And just because Colby used to give standard vanilla athlete interviews, visited the troops and honestly does care for his parents doesn’t mean that he isn’t an asshole. This idea that behind the persona, there is a normal, decent person is complete nonsense. The real Covington is a lowlife who stiffed his trainer, alienated training partners and is prostituting himself for a few clicks.

Its ugly and I don't like it.

I also don't like that Brock, Rousey and Conor were all equally brash and uncouth and become the media darlings of the UFC. This is unequivocally why Colby decided to play a character.

Conor said, and this is a verbatim quote directed at Jose Aldo: "if this was a different time I would invade his favela on horseback and kill anyone that is not fit to walk."

Think about how outrageous it is to make a statement like that. How gross. Any other legitimate sport and he would have been sanctioned. Since its the UFC, they rewarded him for this behavior. That type of circus encourages people like Colby to act in kind.

I'm of the mind the UFC should pay these guys a fair split of the revenue (instead of an abysmal 18%) and treat them like professional athletes, who in turn will expected to behave like professionals. Right now they are paid like jabronis and told 'kiss the ring or else.'

Do people putting on an act get kicked out of their longtime gym? Maybe he doesn’t know when to stop acting

I would imagine yes.

Rousey, Brock and Conor are all pretty well known for having their own personal gym and coaches. If you hit a level of success the world bends to you, not the other way around. Colby is every bit as obnoxious as those 3 but doesn't have the fame and money to go with it. It makes sense for ATT to cast him out, not worth the trouble his annoying character brings.

Its ugly and I don't like it.

I also don't like that Brock, Rousey and Conor were all equally brash and uncouth and become the media darlings of the UFC. This is unequivocally why Colby decided to play a character.

Conor said, and this is a verbatim quote directed at Jose Aldo: "if this was a different time I would invade his favela on horseback and kill anyone that is not fit to walk."

Think about how outrageous it is to make a statement like that. How gross. Any other legitimate sport and he would have been sanctioned. Since its the UFC, they rewarded him for this behavior. That type of circus encourages people like Colby to act in kind.

I'm of the mind the UFC should pay these guys a fair split of the revenue (instead of an abysmal 18%) and treat them like professional athletes, who in turn will expected to behave like professionals. Right now they are paid like jabronis and told 'kiss the ring or else.'

That’s actually a good take.

Social media is the perfect breeding ground for this race to the bottom too. These days, you can be a despicable troll like Azalia Banks and benefit from it.

Sometimes I wonder how long it will last. Is the public’s fascination with fake drama limitless or will it eventually wear off due to overload and a mass shift in sensitivities? I know that I pay less attention to it now than I did maybe 5 years ago. But maybe that’s because I am just too old for that shit.

Back