437 lbs to 250 - low carb

Everyone is telling you to start eating carbs and decide to go on one of the most aggressive low carb diets ever made.

RFL caused my binge eating to get way worse.

Willpower is not an issue for me, never has been, never will be. You're an overeater, and you have psychological control issues, I don't. Don't assume everyone is like you. If someone told me that I could lose the remaining weight if I didn't eat at all for 3 months, and that I somehow could preserve my lean muscle mass and have a healthy body while doing so, I would do it.

I plan when I binge - in fact I listed them by date in this thread. Planned deviations, and an overall plan, and goals, benchmarks and a timeline make losing fat easy.

"everyone" are two people - and those two also said it would be impossible for me to lose the weight I have. 220 lbs lost later, they're still wrong.

Fact is, I need to catch up for 3 months of over maintenance eating, water bloating and too numerous diet breaks which have resulted in a seesaw effect between 230-250. This seems like the best way to do that without losing lean muscle mass. I have also done a lot of research (academic research, not just reading an ebook), this isn't done out of a place of ignorance. Right now, i'm eating as I should be eating ONCE i'm at my target weight. My current diet is not extreme enough to promote weight loss (it WAS when I started, i'm basically going back to how i used to eat, albeit with more protein). I'll be going back to eating how I eat now, ~2000 calories ketogenic, once i cut this weight. And you'll see, i'll once again prove all my critics wrong.

Last edited:
What is your plan after RFL? Do you really think you will be able to keep it off? What would your maintenance diet at 200 look like?...and why wouldn't you just do that instead of RFL?

What is your plan after RFL? Do you really think you will be able to keep it off? What would your maintenance diet at 200 look like?...and why wouldn't you just do that instead of RFL?

It's going to be exactly what I do now: a ketogenic maintenance diet.

my current diet is a slight deficit which doesn't allow for cheat meals and meaningful weight loss (calorically speaking), and i've been slowly gaining weight (in theory, water has never been completely off these past 3 monthS) because of it.

So i'm creating a larger deficit... cutting the weight, then going to maintenance.

Cut is going very well! I am adding a new chart to this log by the end of this week. I have a new momentum and fire under my ass. I also feel amazing since I started the EC stack - so much energy and focus. As someone who is used to caffeine - it's not the same feeling. It's like a smooth, persistent energy, not a spiking, twitchy energy that comes with caffeine alone. IT could also be the return of an 18/6 IF schedule - but overall I just feel a lot more energetic.

I'm trying to figure out how to produce the new chart - i'd like to include the "big lifts" on it to see how this cut effects my strength over time. I'm logging them, but can't figure out how to format it in Word/Excel.

Typical nutrition on this PSMF is pretty much as I posted before, except:
- for lunch I might do 2 eggs + 2 whites + 2 scoops instead of 4 scoops, depending on my mood
- More vegetables, 6 cups (or equivalent) of spinach, not 1
- I am experimenting with and consuming a variety of calorie neutral or very low calorie condiments...

I have discovered the joys of mustard. I have 3 new types of mustard in my fridge (you'd be amazed how well it functions as a salad dressing and as a dip for celerY) - I also found a class of dressings based on vinegar which are calorie neutral that I could in theory add liberally to salads. And got my hands on some fancy hot sauces.

I also made the decision that i'm not going to do this through December. I miss bacon too much :p I'll end it at the end of the month (diet break planned for weekend of November 1) and then go back to a keto diet at a deficit until I reach my goal of 205, at which point i'll go maintenance. One thing I already learned from this is that PSMF is EXTREMELY good at cutting water - I lost 7 lbs over the course of 2 days. So this will be my "go to" strategy following xmas and thanksgiving.

Last edited:
Cut is going very well! I am adding a new chart to this log by the end of this week. I have a new momentum and fire under my ass. I also feel amazing since I started the EC stack - so much energy and focus. As someone who is used to caffeine - it's not the same feeling. It's like a smooth, persistent energy, not a spiking, twitchy energy that comes with caffeine alone. IT could also be the return of an 18/6 IF schedule - but overall I just feel a lot more energetic.

I'm trying to figure out how to produce the new chart - i'd like to include the "big lifts" on it to see how this cut effects my strength over time. I'm logging them, but can't figure out how to format it in Word/Excel.

Typical nutrition on this PSMF is pretty much as I posted before, except:
- for lunch I might do 2 eggs + 2 whites + 2 scoops instead of 4 scoops, depending on my mood
- More vegetables, 6 cups (or equivalent) of spinach, not 1
- I am experimenting with and consuming a variety of calorie neutral or very low calorie condiments...

I have discovered the joys of mustard. I have 3 new types of mustard in my fridge (you'd be amazed how well it functions as a salad dressing and as a dip for celerY) - I also found a class of dressings based on vinegar which are calorie neutral that I could in theory add liberally to salads. And got my hands on some fancy hot sauces.

I also made the decision that i'm not going to do this through December. I miss bacon too much :p I'll end it at the end of the month (diet break planned for weekend of November 1) and then go back to a keto diet at a deficit until I reach my goal of 205, at which point i'll go maintenance. One thing I already learned from this is that PSMF is EXTREMELY good at cutting water - I lost 7 lbs over the course of 2 days. So this will be my "go to" strategy following xmas and thanksgiving.

I don't know how you're downing 100g of protein powder in one sitting; anything over 50g in a matter of 1-2 hours and I'm in a constant state of nausea for a few hours.

I don't know how you're downing 100g of protein powder in one sitting; anything over 50g in a matter of 1-2 hours and I'm in a constant state of nausea for a few hours.

I would prefer not to - but it's such a pain to do things while at work. I'll probably cook a bunch of chicken/fish this weekend so I can use it throughout the week.

Are there any logs on Lyle's forum where anyone actually follows through with the diet and gets results? I don't remember finding any a few years ago when I first looked, and I couldn't find any today. It's something I'd like to do, personally. But, it doesn't seem like -anyone- can stay with it.

Are there any logs on Lyle's forum where anyone actually follows through with the diet and gets results? I don't remember finding any a few years ago when I first looked, and I couldn't find any today. It's something I'd like to do, personally. But, it doesn't seem like -anyone- can stay with it.

Well, you first have to define what you mean by "stay with it" - it's not supposed to be a longterm diet, it's supposed to be a true "diet" not way of eating ,in which it's used as a temporary 2-6 week intervention before a weigh-in, as a means of cutting some weight, or a prelude to a more moderate, naturalistic diet. For me, i'm already past the willpower challenge. I figured out how to make it bearable by just getting creative in the kitchen and finding some very interesting condiments, as well as new ways of using spices. I DO miss fat, but it's not going to make me break the diet until the planned time.

It's true that most bail out, but I found some examples on bodybuilding.com of very successful 20-30 lb cuts. Didn't bother going to Lyle's forum. I did my own academic searches on this sort of intervention, then read Lyle's book to come to a mutual understanding of the evidence.

Funny thing is, although i'm eating about 1/2 the calories I do normally, I am also eating 2-3x as much protein. I am curious how this will effect my lifts - I log that in a paper notebook normally but i'm also putting it in my chart now. My hypothesis is that my lean mass will hold, fat will decrease and my lifts will slightly increase while my explosiveness will decrease.

Still haven't figured out the best way to visually represent it along with the lifts etc, but here's my current status:

7-Oct 243.8
8-Oct 238.4
9-Oct 235.8
10-Oct 235.4
11-Oct 234.8
12-Oct 234
13-Oct 233.2
14-Oct 232.4

Components:
EC
16/8 IF
PSMF ~1000 calories/200 g protein

Added aspirin to my EC stack first today, for a 1 week trial. x3 330 mg/day

Last edited:
Still haven't figured out the best way to visually represent it along with the lifts etc, but here's my current status:

Can't you plot all the lines on the same graph? All of your functions will be using pounds and date, wont they? Is the scale of the graph the issue?

Well the weight is certainly shedding quickly. Are you still feeling good?

Can't you plot all the lines on the same graph? All of your functions will be using pounds and date, wont they? Is the scale of the graph the issue?

Well the weight is certainly shedding quickly. Are you still feeling good?

I feel great. I can imagine that some fail doing a cut of this type due to lack of food variety and boredom though. I have come up with some tasty dishes because i'm very creative in the seasoning and condiments department but i would probably go insane if I was doing what my friend from the office did when he tried this diet: just buying plain turkey breast from the grocery store and eating that.

I can indeed map it all the same chart, but you won't see much of a visual difference on my weight plot due to the scope: my overhead press is 80 lbs and my deadlift is 310, so it creates a huge range and lack of gradient. Ill figure something out and post it by next sunday.

failchart.png

full size: http://www.krauselabs.net/dump/failchart.png

I feel great. I can imagine that some fail doing a cut of this type due to lack of food variety and boredom though. I have come up with some tasty dishes because i'm very creative in the seasoning and condiments department but i would probably go insane if I was doing what my friend from the office did when he tried this diet: just buying plain turkey breast from the grocery store and eating that.
I can indeed map it all the same chart, but you won't see much of a visual difference on my weight plot due to the scope: my overhead press is 80 lbs and my deadlift is 310, so it creates a huge range and lack of gradient. Ill figure something out and post it by next sunday.

Maybe just normalize everything to zero and only record changes.

I think the greatest range you'd have in a month would be -15lbs to +20 lbs.

7-Oct 243.8
8-Oct 238.4
9-Oct 235.8
10-Oct 235.4
11-Oct 234.8
12-Oct 234
13-Oct 233.2
14-Oct 232.4
15-Oct 233.6
16-Oct 230.8
17-Oct 230.4
18-Oct 230.8
19-Oct 229.6

Typical meal:
3-4 chicken breast or 2-3 fish filets, skinless, boneless, seasoned heavily
4-8 cups of greens - mustard, spinach, spring mix, celery, collard etc
Mustard/hot sauce/vinegar-based 0 calorie salad dressings to taste

Have a date this weekend, hopefully I don't do anything stupid like eat a buttload of ice cream or something.

Did wind up eating some crap but eat nothing all day except the cheats, so only gained about a pound of bloat. I believe both days were at or below maintenance. Also pretty sure I met my future wife haha. Most amazing girl I have ever met - a unicorn of epic proportions.

So now the challenge of not getting fatter. We have two more dates planned already.

Still on that PSMF!

Did wind up eating some crap but eat nothing all day except the cheats, so only gained about a pound of bloat. I believe both days were at or below maintenance. Also pretty sure I met my future wife haha. Most amazing girl I have ever met - a unicorn of epic proportions.

So now the challenge of not getting fatter. We have two more dates planned already.

Still on that PSMF!

Good for you man, if anyone deserves a nice lady at this point it's you.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you meet her?

Good for you man, if anyone deserves a nice lady at this point it's you.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you meet her?

I met her at an SCA event (Society for Creative Anachronism) - she was there with her brother and his GF. We're both new to the SCA - only been to a few things. Pretty much instantly stuck out to me - I have a rather unique taste in women and can't stand 99% of them. They have to be good hearted, smart and very sharp otherwise I get bored quickly and it's impossible for me to get physically attracted. Only spoke to her for a few minutes at the event,was at a point where we could have spent more time but she had to go.

So yeah, went on our first date Saturday (following some FB/phone). Thought it would be a short "get to know you" date and we ended up spending 10 hours together and hitting it off in a way i've never experienced before. Have 3 more lined up already haha.

Back