45 years since the last Moon Mission/Trump signs Space Policy Directive

NASA have been constructing a new gigantic rocket for a while now. Trump has two options really. Big new space missions that'll utilize the thing, or cancel the project like Obama did with Constellation program.

"The investment" isn't even an argument. Adjusted for inflation, the entire apollo program cost about 110 billion, or 1/5 of what the US military spent in 2016.

People are willing to spend that much on weapons of war, but aren't willing to spend a fraction of the money on the advancement of mankind? Seems like absolute lunacy to me.

Let's face it.... we need international cooperation to put someone on Mars. It's expensive. Each country wants to be the first so we are dividing dollars.

Get an American, Russian and Chinese cooperative program and get this shit done.

This nationalistic bullshit is getting us nowhere.

hqdefault.jpg

Whats that?

I am skeptical that he's going to pay for the wall and the moon while cutting government revenue and driving up the debt.

Let's face it.... we need international cooperation to put someone on Mars. It's expensive. Each country wants to be the first so we are dividing dollars.

Get an American, Russian and Chinese cooperative program and get this shit done.

This nationalistic bullshit is getting us nowhere.

I actually think it is the opposite. We got to the moon because of nationalistic fervor. It allowed us and Russia the best of free markets principle to merge with the whole strength of the state backing a project.

My opinion on this is that we should explore the entirety of the Earth before venturing further i to space. Less than 5 or 6% of the ocean floor has been explored and I think resources could be more appropriatley applied in that realm. I am not a huge fan of the Mars exploration because it is a mostly if not entirely dead planet and it seems like science fiction driven vanity that prompts the interest. I have a totally unsubstantiated idea that the table of elements will be expanded if we ever explore the entire ocean and the subterranean layers of Earth. Why exactly do you think going to Mars is worthwhile?

Well part of it I think it is a goal that would give the collective consciousness of America something to strive for. More to the point we need to get to Mars to get to Saturn and I believe that the odds of life on Europa or one of the other moons of Saturn and Jupiter are very high.

Well part of it I think it is a goal that would give the collective consciousness of America something to strive for. More to the point we need to get to Mars to get to Saturn and I believe that the odds of life on Europa or one of the other moons of Saturn and Jupiter are very high.
That's interesting and I am not trying to be obtuse but if there is life on Europa then we don't have the right to go there and fuck with it. By that I mean that perhaps any one celled organisms on Europa deserve their own shot at evolution. I can get on board with a shared goal, I just think that it can be striven for on Earth somewhere. Know thyself, and for humans thyself is the home planet and then, way after, the solar system. If we have billions of years before the sun burns out then future generations have plenty of time to navigate the solar system and beyond and I believe they would be aided greatly by using the totality of Earthen knowledge which has yet to be explored.

That's interesting and I am not trying to be obtuse but if there is life on Europa then we don't have the right to go there and fuck with it. By that I mean that perhaps any one celled organisms on Europa deserve their own shot at evolution. I can get on board with a shared goal, I just think that it can be striven for on Earth somewhere. Know thyself, and for humans thyself is the home planet and then, way after, the solar system. If we have billions of years before the sun burns out then future generations have plenty of time to navigate the solar system and beyond and I believe they would be aided greatly by using the totality of Earthen knowledge which has yet to be explored.

NASA have been constructing a new gigantic rocket for a while now. Trump has two options really. Big new space missions that'll utilize the thing, or cancel the project like Obama did with Constellation program.

"The investment" isn't even an argument. Adjusted for inflation, the entire apollo program cost about 110 billion, or 1/5 of what the US military spent in 2016.

People are willing to spend that much on weapons of war, but aren't willing to spend a fraction of the money on the advancement of mankind? Seems like absolute lunacy to me.

The "gigantic rocket" NASA is working on has no capabilities for landing. Kinda throws kinks in the whole "use it or lose it" philosophy. Hence why it's fucking stupid because this is going to effectively make the rocket that we've been developing since Constellation another shuttle style boondoggle that we're going to retrofit in a decade to massive costs.

The "gigantic rocket" NASA is working on has no capabilities for landing. Kinda throws kinks in the whole "use it or lose it" philosophy. Hence why it's fucking stupid because this is going to effectively make the rocket that we've been developing since Constellation another shuttle style boondoggle that we're going to retrofit in a decade to massive costs.

My father was working on for Lockheed Martin before he retired. His last project was Project Orion which was a ship to go to Mars. He says Lockheed had there end ready to go. NASA just was not living up to their end and eventually lost their funding. But even when NASA had funding it was falling behind on its end. So to a certain extend much of this really should be outsourced to the private sector.

They haven't designed a lander yet because they don't have any kind of man rated launch system. If all they cared about was low earth orbit, they'd continue paying the russians to lauch astronauts to the ISS. They're building a rocket big enough to send people far beyond low earth orbit, they've already got the Orion capsule and they've got a President who likes big prestigious projects. Things are looking a lot more positive for new ambitious missions than they have for a very long time.

Going to the Moon is racist when trump does it

fuck the Moon, humanity been there, done that. send men to Mars ffs!

They haven't designed a lander yet because they don't have any kind of man rated launch system. If all they cared about was low earth orbit, they'd continue paying the russians to lauch astronauts to the ISS. They're building a rocket big enough to send people far beyond low earth orbit, they've already got the Orion capsule and they've got a President who likes big prestigious projects. Things are looking a lot more positive for new ambitious missions than they have for a very long time.

<TrumpWrong1>

Look up the SLS.

Be astounded.

NASA hasn't gone back to the moon or pushed for Mars mission because the budget isn't there.

I haven't looked online but has Trump increased NASA's budget to meet this objective? I know Trump signed a directive but what does this exactly mean? I am assuming it means he's directing NASA to focus it's resources on a potential moon mission instead of interstellar satellite programs NASA's been doing for decades because of the lack of a budget.

Back