A draw my a**

They don't shit on Max on the score cards.
Imagine Max beating someone for 3 1/2 mins and then they hit him a few times on the ground and never get close to finishing him in the 5th round...nobody gives that round to the other guy.

Ask anyone who thinks Max beat Volk in the rematch and you'll hear otherwise, lol (no I'm not one of them). And honestly if Max was landing shots of similar comparative magnitude against someone for the first 3.5 minutes and then spent the last 1.5 largely neutralized while desperately defending sub attempts and GnP -- including turning onto his side and shelling up at one point -- then yes I absolutely could see plenty of people scoring the round against Max.

Taking someone down and falling into it are not the same.
She was never close to stopping that fight with strikes or the sub "attempt".

I didn't say they were the same, in fact I said I would find a takedown more impressive and would rate it more highly, all things considered. However, my point is that the Rules explicitly state that "achieving advantageous positions" and reversals while seeking to impact your opponent and potentially end the fight are both scoreable -- and does not in any way place takedowns on a higher "pedestal" of the scoring hierarchy over them. Furthermore, you saying that Alexa "fell into" that position is a bit dishonest IMO. Alexa countered Valentina's takedown to score a reversal, which resulted in the position. Again, Shevchenko did not slip on a banana peel and have Grasso trip over her prone form on top of her.

As for that second bit, it's all relative man. You say Grasso wasn't close, I say she was much closer than Shevchenko ever was.

The Mike Bell induced draw is actually a better end result for Val than if the fight had been judged correctly* (2,4-5 for Grasso) so she should be happy that she avoided a loss on her record. :p

*would not argue anyone who wants to give 4th to Val, tho, it was a cointoss

We should just forget Mike Bells scorecard completely and look at the other two chaps, and they were split. Draw works well.

Also, this reminds us once again of the multiple issues with 10pt must system, instead of Pride style ”who won and who was winning at the end?” type of judging system. Just leave the earpieces out and the Pride system is acers.
and if it was Pride scoring who would you have favored??? i certainly think Val did more damage and came closest to finishing the fight... or i will put it this way.. same as moreno and pantoja.. after that fight i would much rather have been moreno.. he inflicted way more damage to pantoja.. i dont think this was the same, but still rather be Val..

It was 2-2 going into the 5th.. Shevchenko was winning the 1st half of the 5th but got pummeled the last 2 mins. How anyone can have a problem with a draw is baffling..

Actually thought they'd give it to Grasso since it was a very pro Grasso crows obviously.
A draw is ok but the way it became a draw doesn't make sense.

Ask anyone who thinks Max beat Volk in the rematch and you'll hear otherwise, lol (no I'm not one of them). And honestly if Max was landing shots of similar comparative magnitude against someone for the first 3.5 minutes and then spent the last 1.5 largely neutralized while desperately defending sub attempts and GnP -- including turning onto his side and shelling up at one point -- then yes I absolutely could see plenty of people scoring the round against Max.

I didn't say they were the same, in fact I said I would find a takedown more impressive and would rate it more highly, all things considered. However, my point is that the Rules explicitly state that "achieving advantageous positions" and reversals while seeking to impact your opponent and potentially end the fight are both scoreable -- and does not in any way place takedowns on a higher "pedestal" of the scoring hierarchy over them. Furthermore, you saying that Alexa "fell into" that position is a bit dishonest IMO. Alexa countered Valentina's takedown to score a reversal, which resulted in the position. Again, Shevchenko did not slip on a banana peel and have Grasso trip over her prone form on top of her.

As for that second bit, it's all relative man. You say Grasso wasn't close, I say she was much closer than Shevchenko ever was.

We are at an impassé.

The fight was close and when a title fight is close, it will go to the Champ
Iz normel

so the UFC is very interested in the latino market, they should know many latinos from southamerica dont give a f*** about mexicans

Mexican market is big enough on its own. There's a reason Canelo is the biggest star in boxing

Its not like she took Shev down and hunted a sub sir....she literally fell into it.
Otherwise she was getting beat pretty handily.

If Shev had "this much more power" she'd knock everyone out, but she don't so people can be wishy-washy.

They don't do that to my other favorite fighter Max Holloway who doesn't have big punching power.

Either way this type of bad judging happened every once in awhile back in the day, now it feels like every weekend and its flat out unacceptable sir.

Doesn't matter if she fell into it or not. Shevchenko was close to being stopped. At one point, she was turtled up on her side blocking ineffectively, taking shots that had the ref take a closer look. I scored the fight 48-47 Grasso. Grasso won the 2nd, 5th, and whichever round it was where Grasso blasted Valetina's head with like 3-4 big knees before taking her down and attempting a sub.

Michael Bell gave Grasso a 10-8 in the 5th round, a round in which she was outstruck and only had 1:30 of control time

Meanwhile he didn't give Valentina a 10-8 in the 3rd when she doubled Grasso's Sig Strikes AND had her back for 3 minutes

Maybe the worst round score I have ever seen

and if it was Pride scoring who would you have favored??? i certainly think Val did more damage and came closest to finishing the fight... or i will put it this way.. same as moreno and pantoja.. after that fight i would much rather have been moreno.. he inflicted way more damage to pantoja.. i dont think this was the same, but still rather be Val..
Pride scoring is an even clearer win for Grasso. KD in the 2nd, knees and slam in the 4th, and then the back take, sub attempt, and ground and pound at the end of the 5th. She had the biggest moments throughout the fight while Val was mostly point fighting.

Valentina won that fight 3-2 ffs, whatever with these fuckin judges.

Edit: 10-8 for the 5th round for Grasso?
Gtfoh

Right you are my man. I remember hearing a 47-47 card and thought "hang on there's a 10-8 in there, this is fucked", none of those rounds was a 10-8 to anyone.

It's actually one of the dodgiest scoring efforts I can recall, that judge would have known it was close and making a dodgy score in the last round like that, geez it stinks a bit

Grasso grabbed the 5th round at the end and should have got the split decision.

I thought it was interesting because I could see all three of the judges decision as correct. I thought Val might have edged it but wouldn't have been surprised at any of the three results.

I am not sure who won, it was a close fight (peobbaly edging towards Valentina winning), but I am definitely sure there is zero chance for any of those 5 rounds to be a 10-8. I am a big advocate for more 10-8 rounds, but no round here was a 10-8. Period.

As far as Val go, any fight she lets go to a decision I would automatically score against her to punish her for not getting the finish.

No way anyone can score 2,4 and 5 for Valentina other than blind Valentina fanbois.

Alexa gave by far the most damage in those rounds. Did you forget Valentina was turtled up and completely hopelessly waiting for some divine intervention while Alexa was landing bombs on her head?

IN round 4 Valentina opened Grasso with an elbow. That was by far the most damaging blow of the round.

IN round 4 Valentina opened Grasso with an elbow. That was by far the most damaging blow of the round.

I saw the whole round and definitely Alexa won the round with those knees and had the most biggest moments of the round.

Back