A Perfect Circle concert underwhelming

I recently attended A Perfect Circle at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta. Their sound was excellent, but the song choices and stage show were disappointing.

The crowd seemed to have difficulty getting into the show as the first 40 minutes of music were largely obscure choices (minus Weak and Powerless). They ended with a killer version of Pet, Judith, and a couple of other good ones but overall they never really captured the crowd. It was the first concert I can remember where no one stayed in hope ho an encore.

The standard Maynard "no pics no video" was in effect as a couple of people were tossed and others scolded for checking the time or text messages. I'm not sure what the need for that rule is since you couldn't see him during the entire concert anyway. There was a shadowy figure at the back middle of the stage that appeared to be singing but no one could really tell for sure if it was actually Maynard himself.

The drummer was absolutely fantastic but was not given the chance to do a drum solo. There was no bass solo or guitar solo either. They walk to the front of the stage at the end of the show and turned the lights on, He said go ahead and take a picture but he left the stage before anybody could.

I've been a Tool fan for 20 years and A Perfect Circle fan since they came out but maybe I'm just not as big of a fan as I thought I was. Maybe this is normal for this type of concert and I should have known that going in, but it's making me rethink attending Tool next year if they come to Atlanta.
Maynard is not one to really try to impress a crowd. He is basically a performance artist, and if you dont "get" his message, then he wants nothing to do with you. Their new APC album proves that. Its not very good IMO.

When I made this thread I expected a lot of classic Sherdog backlash. I'm surprised to see that essentially everyone who has posted agrees with me.

Some bands just aren't good live.

Always heard Rob Zombie throws a hell of a show.
Same thing with Wu-Tang.

I saw Presidents of the United States of America live.
Literally the worst thing iv'e ever seen live in my life.

From what I've seen on youtubes, APC is not the band to see live. Besides their new material is kind of meh.

On a bright side Puscifer's show in Stockholm a couple years back was a banger, much heavier and thicker sound compared to studio, enjoyed it a lot. Wrestling sideshow as a bonus and the energy was really good.
Same here. Saw them on the Money Shot tour too and I loved the Wrestling setup they had for the show. I really enjoyed it even though security threatened to kick me out for taking a picture

Some bands just aren't good live.

Always heard Rob Zombie throws a hell of a show.
Same thing with Wu-Tang.

I saw Presidents of the United States of America live.
Literally the worst thing iv'e ever seen live in my life.
The best show I've seen was Pepper closing out the Queen Mary festival in Long Beach a few years ago.

Weezer was the worst. Absolutely lifeless and uninterested. It was like watching four cardboard cutouts.

That's too bad. I just remember Tool shows in the 90s and they were fucking great.

A Perfect Circle and Tool

I would like both bands better if they were instrumental

Back