A Single Sherbro Among Them

SummerStriker

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I was a little surprised by this, honestly. YouTuber offers 100 bucks to any fratboy who can beat him at bench. Spoiler, he can't even bench 265.

I understand that adults keep lifting and getting stronger with age, if they want, but I still though a 300 pound bench among young men was more common.

The thumbnail is a gag. The winner still fails at 290.

To guys that can bench a cool 300, is it surprising that you are stronger than every guy in a fraternity that shows up for a bench press contest?

Last edited:
YouTube fitness has skewed perception. 300 bench is basically zero people. Outside of the strength community it’s very rare. Amongst lifters 300 is common in heavier weight classes. Juiced out world records are 500 for non giants mostly. Those people don’t lift at the ymca

300 pound bench is pretty insane. The small minorities who can lift that much : Powerlifters, big strong guys who weigh 240 or something themselves, very genetically gifted athletes. trt / juice club . Then there are the lifters that we see on youtube that have diet, training and everything dialed in for years and decent genetics. Yeah they lift that or pretty close.

As far as rest of society, its a very big number. If you can rep 225 you are strong compared to most people

Last edited:
I mean semi dedication to the bench press for a while most people should be able to bench 300 and it’s not that surprising

I mean semi dedication to the bench press for a while most people should be able to bench 300 and it’s not that surprising

That is what I here from the internet. But I've gone to the gym with adult 270 pound males who could only bench 95*10 because they didn't lift, and at least two adult males with no health issues who couldn't hold up the bar.

All of these guys can bench 150, which to me means they are trained and are trying, and yet none of them can hit 300? Seems like it must take more than semi dedication.

That is what I here from the internet. But I've gone to the gym with adult 270 pound males who could only bench 95*10 because they didn't lift, and at least two adult males with no health issues who couldn't hold up the bar.

All of these guys can bench 150, which to me means they are trained and are trying, and yet none of them can hit 300? Seems like it must take more than semi dedication.

I guess the devil is in the semantics on what you would consider semi dedication. Perhaps my own perception is skewed but it would seem most people can bench that much.

That looked like a freshman academy of gamers. Most of the fellow athletes in high school were bigger than these boys, and handfuls of them benching 3 plates. The rest of us were getting crushed by 175.

thats an understatement for sure. Maybe if you are powerlifter. If this was true then most ufc fighters could bench 300. When in reality only a handful can and most of them are bigger guys themselves

Last edited:
I was the only guy at my high school to bench over 300, but it was a pretty small school. My class had about 100 kids in it. A few years after graduating I had several friends that got 300+, no roids and they all weighed about 200lbs.

I basically didn't lift at all from around 21 to 38. Took me a year and a half to get back to 300. It would be cool if 300 was a super rare achievement that only true specimens can attain, but I don't think it is.

I was the only guy at my high school to bench over 300, but it was a pretty small school. My class had about 100 kids in it. A few years after graduating I had several friends that got 300+, no roids and they all weighed about 200lbs.

I basically didn't lift at all from around 21 to 38. Took me a year and a half to get back to 300. It would be cool if 300 was a super rare achievement that only true specimens can attain, but I don't think it is.

There is a difference between what people can do and what people do do. For example, writing a novel. You can be dumb as fuck and write a novel. All you have to do is sit there and do it. Literally any idiot can type 80k words. I'm not saying a good novel. I'm not saying one good enough that even your mother will read, but literally any idiot can grind it out. Now, of the population of internet dorks who call themselves writers, what percentage do you think have actually written a whole ass book? I think the ratio is close to 1 in 100.

Same thing with lifting weights. I agree that 300 pounds is in the realm of human possibility. I've never tried to lift 300, but I can hit 225 for 12-13 which is about what you'd expect. I'm pretty sure I could train up to it in a few months. But I look very regular. I see people a lot bigger than me very often. But I only see them at the gym. I don't see them at the grocery, or the gas station, but so infrequently that they stand out to me.

If you can't do something because you lose interest, then you can't do it. You just can't. I can't play chess because I'll throw a game of blitz I'm winning because I just want it to be over. That doesn't mean I actually can be good at chess. I can't. I don't feel like it.

Last edited:
people do do
Gross

There is a difference between what people can do and what people do do. For example, writing a novel. You can be dumb as fuck and write a novel. All you have to do is sit there and do it. Literally any idiot can type 80k words. I'm not saying a good novel. I'm not saying one good enough that even your mother will read, but literally any idiot can grind it out. Now, of the population of internet dorks who call themselves writers, what percentage do you think have actually written a whole ass book? I think the ratio is close to 1 in 100.

Same thing with lifting weights. I agree that 300 pounds is in the realm of human possibility. I've never tried to lift 300, but I can hit 225 for 12-13 which is about what you'd expect. I'm pretty sure I could train up to it in a few months. But I look very regular. I see people a lot bigger than me very often. But I only see them at the gym. I don't see them at the grocery, or the gas station, but so infrequently that they stand out to me.

If you can't do something because you lose interest, then you can't do it. You just can't. I can't play chess because I'll throw a game of blitz I'm winning because I just want it to be over. That doesn't mean I actually can be good at chess. I can't. I don't feel like it.
To take this back to the original question, no I don't think it's surprising that a bunch of frat dorks can't bench 300. I also can't make sense of where you are going with all of this. The OP makes it seem like 300 isn't a big deal, but in your diatribe to me you say it is rare because nobody actually wants to do it. I guess I agree. Bench numbers don't mean shit to the average person, especially if it means they have to put in work.

Gross

To take this back to the original question, no I don't think it's surprising that a bunch of frat dorks can't bench 300. I also can't make sense of where you are going with all of this. The OP makes it seem like 300 isn't a big deal, but in your diatribe to me you say it is rare because nobody actually wants to do it. I guess I agree. Bench numbers don't mean shit to the average person, especially if it means they have to put in work.

I'm not going anywhere with it other than I expected 4-5 and the videographer to be able to do it.

I'm not going anywhere with it other than I expected 4-5 and the videographer to be able to do it.
I had no idea who the host is. But he did say he was 160lb runner. Which meant he wasn't benching 300 :D He did about as expected 250 range. Stayed humble and laughing about it. Good energy
But to spin it, take a bunch of guys that can bench 300 and let them try to out run him. We can't all do it all.

I had no idea who the host is. But he did say he was 160lb runner. Which meant he wasn't benching 300 :D He did about as expected 250 range. Stayed humble and laughing about it. Good energy
But to spin it, take a bunch of guys that can bench 300 and let them try to out run him. We can't all do it all.
A 300 bench at 160 would be a damn good bench honestly

Just coincidentally, back when I was a 162 lbs runner (who also did a fuckton of bro splits with emphasis on bench) my 1RM was 265 lbs and I messed up my shoulder completing it because I was struggling and had my butt off the bench. The week before, I had cleanly maxed 255 lbs. I have average genetics for bench and the only guys my size I've seen do 300+ who were running as much as I was were either genetically gifted or on gear.

So I'm no bench expert but just watching the vid, host guy has terrible form - no leg drive and his back is just flat on the bench. If he learned proper form, he'd probably add 10-20 lbs to whatever he can max now.

Just coincidentally, back when I was a 162 lbs runner (who also did a fuckton of bro splits with emphasis on bench) my 1RM was 265 lbs and I messed up my shoulder completing it because I was struggling and had my butt off the bench. The week before, I had cleanly maxed 255 lbs. I have average genetics for bench and the only guys my size I've seen do 300+ who were running as much as I was were either genetically gifted or on gear.

So I'm no bench expert but just watching the vid, host guy has terrible form - no leg drive and his back is just flat on the bench. If he learned proper form, he'd probably add 10-20 lbs to whatever he can max now.
The ones good at bench, make it a staple and excel at it. Then the rest of us, just look at it as a mental defeat and ask why we wasting time doing something that requires you to lay still? :D Rather be doing something that is movement based .

The ones good at bench, make it a staple and excel at it. Then the rest of us, just look at it as a mental defeat and ask why we wasting time doing something that requires you to lay still? :D Rather be doing something that is movement based .
My wife has mastered laying still

But a bigger bench gave me a bigger chest and I’m now reasonably satisfied with mine

Back