Media A. Sterling: UFC's push of O'Malley is comical - the reason fans now complain on their 300

Unheralded Truth

Brown Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score

"Don’t get me wrong, I’m going to watch. It’s just kind of funny that the UFC felt the need to stack this card, so much to make it feel like Sean is the draw (chuckle). It’s actually comical, because I know
people are inclined to shit on 300. I’m like, well, a lot of those fights that people probably would’ve wanted, were on 299 for whatever reason. I mean, it doesn’t take much to kind of draw conclusions - you
want to build somebody up, you build up and you bring the other eyeballs with all these other people. And with that said, I think Chito has to play the long game, chip away and I think his gas tank and durability
will start to take over. I don't think Sean is as tough mentally."

"Don’t get me wrong, I’m going to watch. It’s just kind of funny that the UFC felt the need to stack this card, so much to make it feel like Sean is the draw (chuckle). It’s actually comical, because I know
people are inclined to shit on 300. I’m like, well, a lot of those fights that people probably would’ve wanted, were on 299 for whatever reason. I mean, it doesn’t take much to kind of draw conclusions - you
want to build somebody up, you build up and you bring the other eyeballs with all these other people. And with that said, I think Chito has to play the long game, chip away and I think his gas tank and durability
will start to take over. I don't think Sean is as tough mentally."

The UFC is banking on Sean in attracting the younger Gen Z fans, so of course they are going to push him.

Sean took away everything Aljo worked for, and now Aljo is no longer remembered as a champion, but a classically trained actor

The UFC is banking on Sean in attracting the younger Gen Z fans, so of course they are going to push him.

Sean took away everything Aljo worked for, and now Aljo is no longer remembered as a champion, but a classically trained actor
He didn’t act beating Yan the second time, or Cejudo, and TJ. Your post is rubbish. I have nothing against Aljo, or O’Malley for that matter. But trying to wipe out Aljo’s run (The most defences by a UFC BW) is nonsense.

Maybe Yan shouldn’t have thrown the knee AFTER Marc Smith said Aljo was “down”. He “acted” like an idiot, imo. Completely destroyed his own legacy. Yan is the one nobody will ever remember being a champion.

Just my opinion.

Just my opinion.
rolling-pads.gif

Usually the PPVs before the hundred ones are kind of stacked. I think that this way the can already come in hot when the 300 one comes.

He just sounds salty and envy to be honest.

The UFC is still gambling. those kids who watch his YouTube channel and follow him on IG may never amount to PPV buying viewers. Maybe 1 in 57K will buy tickets to a live event. But I guess it's one of the best bet the UFC can get at this point.

199 was also very stacked at the time, not as good as 299 currently though imo:

Rockhold/Weidman (Bisping fills in)
Cruz vs Faber (shoulda been Assuncao)
Hendo vs Lombard
Max vs Lamas
Poirier vs Bobby
Ortega vs Guida

Plus Dariush, Andrade, Caceres, & Strickland.

It's clear that the UFC is trying to make O'Malley into a star which makes sense given their job is to promote.

It's only weird because it feels like they haven't tried this hard to build someone up in a long time. Giving him such an easy path to #1 contender fight, putting his tko of Aljo on YouTube for free the following day, having him defend vs a non-top-5 contender, & stacking the 299 undercard like we rarely see.

Is what it is

It is true that 299 is unusually stacked. Take from that what you will. I mean the 299 Prelims are better than most Fight Nights you will ever see.

Harsh but true.

He didn’t act beating Yan the second time, or Cejudo, and TJ. Your post is rubbish. I have nothing against Aljo, or O’Malley for that matter. But trying to wipe out Aljo’s run (The most defences by a UFC BW) is nonsense.

Maybe Yan shouldn’t have thrown the knee AFTER Marc Smith said Aljo was “down”. He “acted” like an idiot, imo. Completely destroyed his own legacy. Yan is the one nobody will ever remember being a champion.

Just my opinion.

Attachments

• En_UyElXMAQA6Gj.jpg
    En_UyElXMAQA6Gj.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 1
It is true that 299 is unusually stacked. Take from that what you will. I mean the 299 Prelims are better than most Fight Nights you will ever see.
Nothing unusual about it. N'Gannou vs Joshua takes place that weekend. When that fight date got announced they started loading 299 up. UFC loves to counter program shows they want to keep down. And they DEFINITELY want to dull Francis's shine if they can because he represents the highs of not accepting what the UFC offers you. So they want as big a show as they can muster over the same weekend to seem like the more attractive product.

Back