Dana should save O’Malley for 300 and put Islam on 299

Ahmed Masood

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Back in November, DW announced a number of PPVs to headline the first 3 UFC events of the year. To me, the first 2 made sense, but I was confused with the booking of UFC 299s headliner between O’Malley and Vera 2.

Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t a criticism of the matchmaking (as it is the biggest matchup you could give Sean), but surely a fight of this type would have been better placed on UFC 300, which based on recent debunked reports (Mcgregor and Poatan), is looking quite thin of star power. Having a guy like O’Malley in his most heated match would really help the card from a Ppv standpoint.

Also, ufc 300, alongside UFC 200 and UFC 100, will probably draw +1mil Ppv buys if history is anything to go buy. Dana keeps expressing how big a star O’Malley is but his Ppv to date wouldn’t suggest this. Having him on a card like 300 could be the star making move that would give Daba what he’s looking for in O’Malley.

Obviously, the question arises that what you replace UFC 299s current headliner with, and the answer seems obvious. The LW champ will be inactive during Ramadan (when UFC 300 is) and has mentioned his desire to fight before then, specifically in March on the 299 card. And in regards to potential matchups, both Gaethje and Oliveira have expressed a desire to fight in Q1 of next year.

In regards to star potential, Islam averages 600000 Ppv buys, Gaethje 650 and Charles 700+. O’Malley in his only title fight to date, has between 350-570, so numbers would suggest UFC 299s Ppv would increase with this switch.

Ultimately, the UFC have a plan in mind, and we need to as fans trust the process. Just throwing my two cents in as any standard opinionated sherbro. With that, I’m curious to know what you sherbros think?

I think they'll still put Islam on 299 without moving the O'Malley fight. That card doesn't have a good co-main even if O'Malley is the headliner so it still needs 1 more fight. Either they put Islam on 299 or the Saudi Arabia card which is one week prior.

Chito slow starting ass is not koing anybody lol
0*OB4BSJrDXdvewC6O.gif

I think they'll still put Islam on 299 without moving the O'Malley fight. That card doesn't have a good co-main even if O'Malley is the headliner so it still needs 1 more fight. Either they put Islam on 299 or the Saudi Arabia card which is one week prior.
i dont think so card is already insane doesn't even need 2 title fights to be a solid card.

i dont think so card is already insane doesn't even need 2 title fights to be a solid card.
I like the card I think it's good. I wouldn't mind if they didn't add another big fight but I still think they will. It only has 10 fights on it so far and I doubt MVP vs Holland or Burns vs JDM is going to be co-main. They might go ahead and make Blaydes vs Almeida the co but that fight probably doesn't put asses in seats to casuals. They might put Leon vs Belal on this card and have Islam fight on the SA card.

Just move the mick to the comain. Since he’s not a draw, as is, this will help get more eyeballs on him and quite frankly he doesn’t deserve to be on 300.

O’Malley doesn’t sell PPV’s, Aljo told me

I like the card I think it's good. I wouldn't mind if they didn't add another big fight but I still think they will. It only has 10 fights on it so far and I doubt MVP vs Holland or Burns vs JDM is going to be co-main. They might go ahead and make Blaydes vs Almeida the co but that fight probably doesn't put asses in seats to casuals. They might put Leon vs Belal on this card and have Islam fight on the SA card.
SA card? South America or South Africa I presume

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back