Al Iaquinta on his loss

I would say that Al would be able to beat him again with a better camp and approach, but I'd be lying. Sure, he could come out with bursts and blitzes like Romero and have a better shot at not getting chewed up and spit out. Not very likely though. He'd need to tighten up his defense, particularly in regards to leg kicks and jabs. Cerrone and half the audience saw the knee coming that smoked Al early, so he's got some work to do in masking his level changes and shots. Thats not a one camp type of correction.

People don't understand what type of a fighter Iaquinta is, what he is good at and what he isn't. Iaquinta is a static striker with poor movement and basic boxing, he's very good when his opponents throw themselves at him like Lee did. But when guys like Masvidal and Khabib fight him in range with jabs he doesn't know what to do. He lacks the ability to enter in his opponents or pressure them into the corner.

We know very well who are the type of fighter Cerrone struggles against, he can't deal with fighters in Southpaw or those with longer reach than him. Iaquinta is none of those fighters, he's basically a better version of Hernandez.

El Quinta will be back
He is a good kid

Your boy got beat up . He only had a puncher chance against the much more skilled Cowboy to being with a puncher chance which wasnt even that high.
He isnt your boy though the only reason you and the other shills been dickriding him is to make Kabob comp look better.
Back to your Mom’s basement little boy adults are talking now.

So more or less it'd be "get in his face and rearrange it"? I think Al would have 1 or 2 rounds to make that happen before Cerrone chewed his leg apart and dampened his drive and power again.

Check the leg kicks would be an obvious adjustment, and history tells us that Al's camp knows how to do that (see the adjustment weidman made between silva I and II). The catch and counter would be another thing to work on, and Al showed in the fight that he can do it—he just didn't do it often enough. Masvidal largely shut down Cowboy's kicks by catching them and counter, so if Al worked on that, he'd be much better off.

Having Al throw combos when he enters the pocket would be a huge adjustment. He would close the distance, throw a strike and land on cowboy clean then jump back out into kicking range for some reason. He should have been throwing combos in the pocket and followed up when he landed.

But really, Al was looking to counter punch all night, which was dumb. Nobody beats Cowboy like that, so what you said before "driving forward on cerrone" isn't a bad idea, but I haven't seen Al with an intelligent pressure game like that before, so Idk.

I don't think it's unwinnable for him, but it's always a tough match.

Last edited:
Apparently if you stand in front of a mirror and say "Fuck the UFC" 3 times Dana will appear.

Yeah then he'll scream "DO YOU WANNA BE A FUCKIN' FIGHTER"!?!?

Masvidal lost to the judges...Iaquinta DID NOT beat him.

That's easy to say in hindsight. But given that Cerrone was KO'd by Pettis, RDA, Masvidal (who lost to AL) and Till, and was dominated by Nate Diaz, it wasn't a bad prediction. Cerrone has some clear weaknesses and has never been very consistent.

That boy got his ass WHOOPED.

I wonder if it'll humble him at all, cause he had a pretty big ego before this fight.
Al ain't got no ego, he probably has the least ego of all the fighters. He's confident, but that's about it.

He fights a lot, he wins a lot, he loses his fair share. It doesn't mean his fight with Al was easy to predict....unless you "predict" it in hindsight.

In hindsight though, it does highlight the difference between a part-timer (in anything) vs. a guy who lives and breathes something. I think that really is it. Al's lack of activity over the years catches up to him when he fights the top contenders.

I mean we all know cerrone has the skills, but his stomach has not always been in the octagon with him, and he's had issues with mentally abrasive fighters in the past. Al had a chance to beat him, but after the second round it became clear who the superior fighter was. If they fight 10 times you will always get the same Al, but cerrone is a bit more unpredictable. Regardless, cowboy looked fucking awesome and determined.

The dude won 8 fights at LW just a few years back. Has that feat ever been done before? To say he isn't consistent is simply false. If Cerrone isn't consistent then neither is 99% of the roster.
Agreed.

Inconsistent fighters lose fights they are supposed to win. Cerrone's losses are all to guys that weren't easy match-ups for anyone. But he also won a few of those fights.

He is arguably the most consistent fighter in the UFC because of how often he fights and that he always beats the guys he should (other than till who was relatively unknown.)

Same way I thought it would go. The Cowboy that froze against Dos Anjos (twice), and Nate Diaz is dead and that's a good thing.

Cowboy 2.0 is a legit title contender.
or he's fighting lesser fighters. Watch him freeze again when he gets a big fight

I worry about his health... Saw his interview with schmo and honestly, he had hard time speaking simple sentences :(

I was surprised Al didn't go to the body more, im guessing after going low (on a half assed single I think) and eating a kick for his troubles (probably the only time I seen someone counter a TD attempt by ki kicking him in the head), he probably was dissyadis by it.

Loving the new cowboy though! Hope he keeps proving doubters wrong and keep giving the believers something to believe in!

Back