Law Alabama House committee OKs bill requiring safe storage of firearms

That exception is included in Texas law too. It's worded as an "affirmative defense to prosecution". My guess is that the thinking behind it is that nobody is getting charged with this unless the kid that gets the gun does something that would necessitate police involvement. If the kid is shooting a robber you're good, if the kid shoots himself or another kid then you're fucked.

Texas law also prohibits police from making an arrest before the seventh day after the offense was committed. Which is basically allowing a parent to grieve and have a funeral before they go to jail.

Another cool affirmative defense is being engaged in an agricultural enterprise when the offense occurs.
And I would assume parents would trust an older child with the location of the locks key or pin to access the firearm in case of emergency or even to help with the firearms for hunting or going to the range.

I draw the line at something that is designed only to kill someone. IE a gun.
So you don't believe in Slippery Slopes? Your son kills someone with a knife that he got access to in your house which could just as easily locked up as a firearm...why shouldn't you be held accountable as well. Or if he takes your car on a joy drive and kills someone...those keys should've been locked up as well. And I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you but that's how Slippery Slopes work.

Last edited:
So you don't believe in Slippery Slopes? Your son kills someone with a knife that he got access to in your house which could just as easily locked up as a firearm...why shouldn't you be held accountable as well. Or if he takes your car on a joy drive and kills someone...those keys should've been locked up as well.
No. I don't believe in being against or for a law due to a perceived slippery slope. That's literally a logical fallacy.

Okay? I'm sure that might be the case for some people. Now what? How does that address my question?
- Sorry we have similar rule here. If you're gonna transport your gun, the weapon should be in a suitcase in the back trunk of the car, and cant be loaded.

The rule doesnt take in equation that you maybe need the gun for self-defense proposes. If in the case you posted, the kid needs a gun to protection, and the gun is stored in a safe. I really doubt the kid is gonna remember the safe combination in time.

I get the premise. A primary defensive firearm should be on your persons or accessible to you. Seems as much related to accidental shootings as it is to people leaving weapons in automobiles.

So you don't believe in Slippery Slopes? Your son kills someone with a knife that he got access to in your house which could just as easily locked up as a firearm...why shouldn't you be held accountable as well. Or if he takes your car on a joy drive and kills someone...those keys should've been locked up as well. And I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you but that's how Slippery Slopes work.

Many gun control folks look at you like you have 2 heads when you ask them if a law is about protecting people and saving lives or more about controlling access to guns and/or applying restrictions to gun owners.

If it's about saving lives, then access to all dangerous items should be limited right? TSA took a fork from me and wouldn't let me board a flight with it. It's not designed to kill.

No. I don't believe in being against or for a law due to a perceived slippery slope. That's literally a logical fallacy.

This way of thinking makes me wonder what the point of the law is then . . . is it to protect someone or solely to apply restrictions to a gun owner?

If they want to punish worthless parents who don't limit access to their guns they can do this without this type of law.

What if the kid gets a butcher knife from the house and kills someone? Would the parents also be responsible as well?
The murderer with the knife is morally superior to the guy that uses a gun. It’s science

Many gun control folks look at you like you have 2 heads when you ask them if a law is about protecting people and saving lives or more about controlling access to guns and/or applying restrictions to gun owners.

If it's about saving lives, then access to all dangerous items should be limited right? TSA took a fork from me and wouldn't let me board a flight with it. It's not designed to kill.

This way of thinking makes me wonder what the point of the law is then . . . is it to protect someone or solely to apply restrictions to a gun owner?

If they want to punish worthless parents who don't limit access to their guns they can do this without this type of law.
It’s purpose is to make parents think twice about how accessible their guns are, to hopefully cut down on the number of kids getting ahold of their parents guns and either intentionally or tragically shooting others with them.

It’s a gun law that attack’s irresponsible behavior, rather than stupidly saying X gun is dangerous and should be illegal. That’s a win imo.

Anyone with kids in the house should have guns in quick access safes or controlled on their person. Relying on them just hidden or out of reach isn’t the best, but with this law nothing will happen to that person unless the kid gets ahold of the gun anyways so it’s still basically up to each person.

Bingo. I don’t like telling people how to make it safe but am totally fine with anyone getting charged with negligent homicide if their firearm was used when it was not properly stored
As it pertains to "their firearm was used", isn't dealing with it after the fact like closing the barn door after the horses have bolted? I.e. too little too late to help the victim?

As it pertains to "their firearm was used", isn't dealing with it after the fact like closing the barn door after the horses have bolted? I.e. too little too late to help the victim?
How to else are you enforcing this except after the fact?

A parent or guardian whose child carried an unsecured firearm to school could be charged with a Class A misdemeanor, punishable by up to a year in jail and a $6,000 fine.

<WhatIsThis>

How to else are you enforcing this except after the fact?
Are you being obtuse on purpose? In this context, the alternative is securing weapons before anything happens in the first place, right?

Are you being obtuse on purpose? In this context, the alternative is securing weapons before anything happens in the first place, right?
I said about enforcement. How do you enforce this prior to some kind of incident?

Did you shoot a hole through the boat?

A shark and killer whale tried to save me from a giant squid, but the squid got the boat. We ate Calamari that night, but the guns are gone. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

- Lets say that several gun owners, arent reponsible enought to own a gun or rise kids.

Bodybuilding Couple Accused Of Brandishing Rifles Near Miami Day Care​

One of the suspects told a local TV station they thought "it would be cool to take a picture with a gun."
https://www.huffpost.com/author/david-moye
By David Moye

A couple in Miami are facing criminal charges after allegedly brandishing rifles outside of an area day care center.

Miguel Ruiz, 57, and Estrella Pereira, 50, were arrested Monday afternoon after they took two rifles from the trunk of a Corvette in the center’s parking lot, according to Miami Fox affiliate WSVN, citing police.

They are facing charges of charges of aggravated assault with a firearm and exhibiting a firearm near school property.
The situation came to light after a mother coming to pick up her child saw the couple staging a photo shoot with a loaded gun.

The woman called police after she reportedly saw Ruiz aim one of the rifles toward the day care.

A responding officer immediately ordered Ruiz and Pereira to the ground and the day care immediately went into lockdown.
“Once we found out what was going on, we went into our mandatory procedure. We did our emergency procedure where we did a lockdown with all of our children,” a day care worker told the station.

Ruiz and Pereira were taken into custody and given $10,000 bonds. Pereira was released Wednesday night, according to NBC Miami.

Pereira later told NBC affiliate WESH 2 the whole incident was a misunderstanding. She said she and Ruiz just wanted to take some good social media photos and had no idea they were pointing guns at a day care center.

“Really, we’re not bad people, we will never harm anyone or anything,” she said. “We’re bodybuilders and we’re into the social media thing, YouTube channel, you know, Instagram so forth and he thought it would be cool to take a picture with a gun, because with muscles and guns and it sounds really cool like if you look at a photograph like that,” she said.

Ruiz told ABC Miami affiliate WPLG TV he regrets the way things went down.

“It was a huge mistake,” he told Local 10’s Christian De La Rosa outside the jail. “I’m sorry. I didn’t realize there was a day care right there.”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/bodybuilding-couple-rifles-florida-daycare_n_662a9092e4b01a688b3e2e01

Are you daft?

Unless you have any other ideas, the only way for this to be enforced is to A. Know who has what guns and B. Enter into each of said persons homes and check if they are “properly” stored.

Otherwise, it’s only a post incident law.

Please, educate me.

I guess the idea might be to deal with someone harshly to deter others from making the same mistake or being irresponsible.

Back