RBR ***Official*** Sherdog Sanctioned Fury vs Usyk Discussion 5/18 1PM ET DAZN PPV / ESPN+

Fighters born 80+ years ago (if time travelled forward in their prime) would get smashed in today's world. Rocky Marciano weighed about 186lbs lol
First of all, I don't care about skin color. I'm as white as Fury. Second, I couldn't care less about the Boxing preferences of Black Americans in their 60s. It goes without saying that comparing Rocky Marciano against modern Heavyweights is ridiculous without a Cruiswerweight division in his heyday. His resume is also quite weak and he's failed a drug test in the past which does not help his cause. I have nothing against Fury but to start calling him better than a prime Ali is laughable. Let's see if he can beat Usyk first/twice before annointing him in the Top 5.

Last edited:
Someone needs to rustle up all the "Usyk isn't that good, it's just the eye test" from 2-3 years ago.

You know who you are guys..

I wouldn't usually respond to posts of this low calibre but they just illustrate the point I made earlier.

People dislike Fury because:

He's White.
He's British (yes I know he is an Irish Traveller by descent).
He's modern.

People just love Black American boxers from many decades ago. And it's not just Black Americans in their 60s who prefer them, I've known young White Brits who are like this. There's a massive bias in boxing fandom for some reason. There's something analoguous with the Pride-era HWs in MMA. People don't give the former Soviet HW boxers the credit they deserve either.

Apparently the oldest world athletic record standing is from 1983 (Jarmila Kratochvilova, women's 800 metres). The reality is that sport moves on, and I don't know if people are still getting bigger and healthier but they were until recently. Unless it's a sport which is dying out, the standard rises over time. The best of the 60s and 70s would be out of their depth against the best of the 20s. People talk about the era being weaker now but the standard of the sport as a whole has probably never been higher. Unless you argue that the factor of people going into MMA instead of boxing is stronger than the improvement over time? But if so that's very recent too.

You can get as misty-eyed as you want about the past and find rationalisations to minimise the achievements of non-Black, non-American fighters, but the reality is Black, American HWs haven't dominated for a while, and Fury is not only huge, he is a brilliant boxer and absolutely in the best ever conversation. Check out the turning point around 2004, or earlier maybe, and face up to reality.

999.png

Not reality: I looked up the first result for 'Top 10 HW boxers ever' and here are their birth years:

Rocky Marciano: 1923
Tyson Fury: 1988
Joe Louis: 1914
George Foreman: 1949
Joe Frazier: 1944

Larry Holmes: 1949
Mike Tyson: 1966
Evander Holyfield: 1962
Lennox Lewis: 1965
Muhammad Ali: 1942

<Dany07>

Fighters born 80+ years ago (if time travelled forward in their prime) would get smashed in today's world. Rocky Marciano weighed about 186lbs lol.

This is stupid. No one cares that Fury is White....it's a matter of competition. I don't rank Fury anywhere in the GOAT conversation seeing that his best wins are Klitschko and....Wilder? Same goes for Tyson really. I think Fury could compete with some of the GOATs at HW but I also think he would lose to most of them. Marciano would be outweighed and at a big reach disadvantage but he was a cardio machine and someone who fought regularly. Ali was faster and hits harder than Fury. Foreman would stop him. Lewis would stop him. Shit, I wouldn't like his chances against a prime Vitali, who had a far better chin than Wladimir.

I think Fury will lose tomorrow not because he's white, but because Usyk seems like the better fighter (and has already fought an almost equally big, harder puncher in AJ). 🤷

Someone needs to rustle up all the "Usyk isn't that good, it's just the eye test" from 2-3 years ago.

You know who you are guys..
To be fair he didn't look impressive in his first couple fights at heavyweight. Probably because he was still getting acclimated there. A lot of people, including myself, questioned how effective he could be at the higher weight. The Joshua performances alone though were enough to silence the critics.

From memory he lost like 5 rounds to Del-Boy, Kovalev's Man Bag is spot on.
He did lose several rounds. I had it 8-4 Usyk which is how BoxingScene scored it. I think he learned a lot from that fight though. That was his worst performance at heavyweight but again it was only his second fight there.

Sorry if already posted somewhere:

George Groves: Usyk

“Usyk is far too smart to fall into that trap of having the bigger guy lay on him and use his size against him. He cuts out at amazing angles, he can himself into angles where he can touch you three, four, five times before he gets that power shot in. He’s done it time and time again, since he has moved up to heavyweight he hasn’t put a foot wrong. He’ll be the favourite I think.”

Tony Bellew: Usyk

“Usyk is going to win and I think the fight is going to be a really high-quality chess match. If Usyk was the same size as Tyson Fury, he wouldn’t lose a round, never mind a fight. The reason that we write him off so much is because he’s so much smaller and because he’s a former cruiserweight king. That’s why this fight is so compelling.”

Anthony Joshua: Usyk

“Usyk does everything brilliantly. I’ve never fought Tyson Fury, so I can’t judge how he will perform. So going on what I know – Usyk.”

Carl Froch: Leans Usyk

“What’s Usyk now, 37 years old? So he’s slowing down but he’s got the ability to have a couple of close rounds, not lose the round, and say ‘right I struggled there’. He goes back to his corner and then just lays it on. He gets behind more feints, more footwork, more aggression with the body language, he doesn’t even have to throw a punch. He won’t allow Fury to just lean on him and outweight him.”

David Haye: Leans Fury

“Very technical fight. Both are very smart, both can adapt. I like the look of Fury. I like his attitude coming into this. I like Fury’s resistance and think he can take risks early, but I just have a feeling that the judges will be split in a very close fight. No one has been able to beat up Usyk the master boxer.”

Malik Scott: Usyk

“In terms of winner, I would go with Usyk but at the same time, Fury is big and knows how to use his size. Fury is in better shape than I thought he would be. He’s not slow, he has good punching power and a good boxing mind. It’s a good fight on paper. But we’ll see what happens.”

Conor McGregor: Leans Fury

“Usyk is a crafty, crafty boxer. If anyone can do it, maybe Usyk can do it, [But] Tyson is also a crafty boxer, plus he has the size. Tyson is a tough man to beat, in the boxing arena.”

Lennox Lewis: Fury

“Intriguing for four rounds, perhaps like physical chess, as they get a good look at each other, but Fury for me is the winner on points. Interesting match-up, both have skills and fighting IQ. Fury wins because he can force his size on Usyk.”

Oscar de la Hoya: Fury

“I think Tyson Fury is the bigger version of Usyk. He has speed, he has power, he’s very versatile. I have to go with Tyson.”

Mike Tyson: Fury

“Tyson Fury...will overpower Usyk, and Fury will get stronger as the fight goes on. Fury is the No 1 in the division.”

Carl Frampton: Fury

“I can just see the bigger man Fury using his size advantage in this fight. You can make a case for Usyk winning technically, but it is Fury on points for me.”

Evander Holyfield: Usyk

“Some things Fury doesn’t do so well. Usyk is the faster, more mobile fighter. The more complete fighter. He fights on the inside, and on the outside so well. I see Usyk getting the job done as I see him as the more complete fighter.

Derek Chisora: Fury

“Tyson will win this. He will walk Usyk down. Usyk is clever, he is elusive, but Fury will have his number.”

Johnny Nelson: Fury

“As long as the best Tyson Fury turns up, he will defeat Usyk. But if it is the Fury that fought Francis Ngannou in the ring in Riyadh, he will be outboxed and lose to Usyk on points. But by the look of Fury, he will be turning up at his best.”

Last edited:
Frank and Eddie harping on about his excellency's vision lol AKA his excellency's wallet

I wouldn't usually respond to posts of this low calibre but they just illustrate the point I made earlier.

People dislike Fury because:

He's White.
He's British (yes I know he is an Irish Traveller by descent).
He's modern.
as a white British male let me clear something up for you, people hate Fury because he is an absolute cunt

Wow! Yes! This is a great fight! Finally this fight is happening, we have waited for years and it's about to happen! Tyson Fury vs Oleksandr Usyk is the best fight of this generation! I can't wait! I'm a fan of both fighters. For various reasons I will support one fighter more. Go Oleksandr Usyk!

as a white British male let me clear something up for you, people hate Fury because he is an absolute cunt
I'm a White British male too and I don't hate him.

817479-mirror_match.png

Why do you say he's an absolute cunt? That's pretty strong.

Political statements? (Maybe you're one of those lefties who seethe at speechcrimes.)
Doping? (Pretty much everyone is on stuff.)
Inactivity/cherrypicking? (Probably the strongest point against him. But still not that strong, considering he's fighting Usyk tonight, beat Wlad, and fought Wilder thrice.)
Links to the Kinahan gangsters? (There doesn't seem to be much there.)

If you said Jon Jones is an absolute cunt then yeah. But Fury? Really?

Last edited:
Anyone who thinks either guy is just gonna walk through the other DKSAB.
This is one of the most clear 50/50 fights I can think of. So many variables and ways to win for either man.

What time does Fury actually walk to the ring?
9pm ET or 10pm ET?

Apparently Usyk actually weighs 223 lbs. Michael Buffer misread the weight yesterday.

Back