Alex has beaten 4 UFC champs in 7 fights.

He wasn't too far removed from being champ, far from washed up.

Heavier weight classes doesn’t age as bad a lighter classes
Regardless, he isn't in his prime at 40. That's not a thing.

I'm actually surprised no one is attacking how he never defended a title in UFC yet. I like the way he fights and hyped for Alex. Glad he made it to the top in both divisions, but he's basically on par with Conor at this point without a title defense.

He looks skinny at LHW, I could see him bulking for HW maybe. Aspinall and Jones would be nightmare opponents though. Actually now that I'm thinking about it if Almeida dropped to LHW he'd be probably Pereira's kryptonite.
If I remember correctly almeida has bounced back and forth between LHW and HW since getting in the UFC so he very well could, and honestly Alex is a lot better of a matchup for him then pretty much all the HW’s up top.

Almeida would definitely be better suited to stay at 205 imo. He didnt look to be taking those shots from black beast too well even tho he still got it done…

I hate all the "fast track" talk, who cares??
It was obviously the right decision with Alex because he's proven that he's been one of if not not THEE best in 2 divisions.
Yep, people just don’t understand. Pereira isn’t some young up and comer that has time, he came at a age where fighters are already on the decline, that is why the UFC played his career and was smart with it, in the end it worked out.

Pereira quickly became a MMA star and he comes to fight, win or lose. He probably has 4 more fights in him at this level, so I think the UFC is just being smart with his opponents and fast tracking him paid off.

Jones beat Ryan Bader (dual Bellator champ later on), Shogun, Machida, Rampage, Rashad Evans, Vitor Belfort all back to back

Won and finished them all apart from Rashad
Jones bless

Pretty remarkable how many of those were present or future MWs.

Regardless, he isn't in his prime at 40. That's not a thing.
Pereira is only 4yrs younger and has had more fights across combat sports than Jan. Pereira isn’t some young up and comer.

Yea 2, Belfort and Machida

+ Evans

and let’s not pretend like Shogun shouldn’t have dropped down once it became obvious that he no longer had what it takes to be a top LHW

+ Evans

and let’s not pretend like Shogun shouldn’t have dropped down once it became obvious that he no longer had what it takes to be a top LHW
Evans had 2 fights at MW, 2 fights at MW, Evans was a career LHW and ended his career at LHW. Now you’re just making up narratives like Evans was a career MW & I doubt Shogun couldve made MW, Shogun is a LHW. Just because Jones had height on his opponents doesn’t mean they should’ve been in lighter weight classes.

Evans had 2 fights at MW, 2 fights at MW, Evans was a career LHW and ended his career at LHW. Now you’re just making up narratives like Evans was a career MW & I doubt Shogun couldve made MW, Shogun is a LHW. Just because Jones had height on his opponents doesn’t mean they should’ve been in lighter weight classes.

You are grasping at strawmen. I never said that he was a career MW. He ended up at MW because he flunked out of LHW, just as Machida and Belfort did, when bigger and bigger guys gradually flooded the division. We were talking 'champs' in more open terms (Machida wasn't a champ when Jones beat him) so naturally, I am also talking about MWs in those same terms.

You are right that Shogun might never have made MW. But that doesn't mean that he had a modern LHW's frame. At the point he fought Jones, he was badly outsized, and no, his post-Pride spare tire was not some equalizer.

1700315226835.png

According to your logic, none, because they aren't Champs anymore.
Maybe we misunderstood each other.
I thought you said Alex only beat one champ?
Sorry for the confusion,. I think I got it wrong

Back