News Alexander Volkanovski vs. Ilia Topuria set for UFC 298 on Feb. 17, location TBD

Who wins?

• Total voters
Yikes coming off a KO loss and fighting a savage like Ilia.. not ideal. Curious about the odds. Might lay some $$ on the spaniard

Worst case for Volk is an Edgar/RDA career with a win/lost pattern after sliding down from their peaks. Volk won't be a Tony Ferguson like you're trying to paint. Maybe if he trains in the US full time for a change of scenery, coaches and partners might do him good. Lots of fighters became better after a tramautic loss and Volk looks like he belongs in that category.
Volk is no spring chicken, if he does an Edgar/RDA run to end his career it would be ok. I don't see him taking a ferguson slide, he seems smart enough to hang up the gloves if he starts getting beat down in every fight.

February? Seriously!

It honestly seems like Volk is being targeted by the UFC lmao, what did he do to Dana??

Ilia is a fantastic underdog pick

Surprised at the reaction to this fight. Why are so many picking against Volk? I know he is coming off a brutal KO loss but that was against Islam Makhachev. I just cant confidently pick against Volk at FW.
Well Ilia will be the first opponent with an actual win streak going into a title fight against Volk. Both Ortega and Korean Zombie were on 1 fight win streaks. Yair managed to get 2 wins because we have to count the injury win over Ortega. Ilia is undefeated with 6 straight wins in the UFC. Its not Volk's fault, he's not the match maker but he hasn't defended against anyone with any sort of momentum yet.

Who knows how Volk will come back after that finish by Islam. Volk is getting up there in "fight years" and Topuria is a good fighter and continuing to improve. I still wouldn't underestimate Volk though, and if i had to pick, i'd pick Volk.

It's Topuria's time.

Surprised at the reaction to this fight. Why are so many picking against Volk? I know he is coming off a brutal KO loss but that was against Islam Makhachev. I just cant confidently pick against Volk at FW.

I've been picking Topuria to win this since before that Islam rematch. Topuria has the same kind of momentum and special talent that Volkanovski had when he was blazing through the division. I picked Volkanovski to dethrone Holloway, and I'm picking Topuria to dethrone Volk for similar reasons. Topuria is a fearsome boxer with extreme killer instinct, and is slick enough on the ground to submit Bryce Mitchell.

Volk is 35 which is a death sentence in championship fights at lower weight classes. If he wins he will be the only person other than Woodley to win a championship fight at a lower weight class at age 35 or above. No one wins at 170 and down when they get older. And Volk looked terrible in his last fight. Like he didn't even want to be in the octagon.

Volk should honestly not even be the betting favorite. It would be an upset if he won. If he didn't have two failed 155 fights he might have two more 145 defenses. If he loses here his career is in for a massive nosedive. Like Silva or Fedor end of career style.

If volk wins is he fw goat? I think he gets it done

On a purely stylistic basis I think Volk matches up quite well against Ilia. However, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't the least bit worried about Volk's recent KO loss* and his age creeping up on him with a (relatively) quick turnaround against a game opponent who's a potent finisher.

I'll probably still pick Alex because I think a bit of recency bias is coming into play here and it's fooled me before, too. I think the MMA fanbase as a whole tends to over-correct at times. If Volk falls short then fair is fair and Topuria earned the W... but at the same time it's worth remembering that Alex looked career-best less than a year ago against the last Featherweight contender who was supposed to be the live underdog/darkhorse finisher who would kick his head off and send him into retirement or whatever.

*I don't really hold the Islam loss against him considering all the red flags going into it, mind you. I'm just worried about the potential lasting ramifications of it -- physical, mental, or otherwise.

Ilia has a much better chance than people are giving him. Really hoping Volk wins though.

Volk is done

islam took his soul

he is over
The matador is 26 years old and hangry
Volk just got humbled and will never be the same
We have seen this a bunch of times

F Islam

He isn’t all that

Thats why i didnt wanted vok vs islam 2 bcs now when ilia beats him you all will not admit ilia is just better you will say volk is old and washed up

Volk looked as good as every beating the shit out of Yair. He'll win this

Before the Islam fight, the poll in the other thread was 4:1 for Volk.
Oh how the casuals change their opinion.
Still rooting for Ilia

Back