Aljamain Sterling calls out Frankie Edgar and Dominick Cruz

He called out Cory Sandhagen too, who's the biggest unbooked contender. The title makes it seem like he's only calling out old dudes coming off a loss.

I would like to see that fight. I don't know if it makes sense with Petr Yan likely getting the next shot after he eliminates Moraes, but it would be a good fight to have should Yan injure his hand on Moraes hand or Cejudo and Moraes both win their fights because that rematch isn't particularly desired.

The other two matchups I wouldn't give much of a shit about other than Aljo being in them. Cruz vs Faber would be cool tho.

Guess he doesn't go train with Edgar as often any longer..

Well, that's a little embarrassing.

I don't blame him for wanting a warm-up fight instead of, say, take on Sandhagen right away. But damn.

Sterling has called out Petr Yan, Cory Sandhagen, Henry Cejudo, Edgar, and Cruz. He's just calling out everybody and looking for a fight. He's not like Henry Cejudo who ignored valid contenders to fight a man who has never won in the weight class.

Agree.

He's a fighter who wants to fight.

If no one is calling you out, call somebody out yourself.

Yan and Moraes is as close to guaranteed excitement as it gets.

aljamain, vs any of those guys could be good or bad I’m hoping that means Yan would get the ts if they both win(assuming the fight happens

He called out Cory Sandhagen too, who's the biggest unbooked contender. The title makes it seem like he's only calling out old dudes coming off a loss.

I would like to see that fight. I don't know if it makes sense with Petr Yan likely getting the next shot after he eliminates Moraes, but it would be a good fight to have should Yan injure his hand on Moraes hand or Cejudo and Moraes both win their fights because that rematch isn't particularly desired.

The other two matchups I wouldn't give much of a shit about other than Aljo being in them. Cruz vs Faber would be cool tho.
I’ll google that now. I hadn’t seen that.

Edit. I cannot find it. Source? I did find Sandhagen calling out Sterling (and others) though....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sp...ents-after-missing-out-on-frankie-edgar-fight

I want that fight as well. It's such an obvious choice that it probably won't materialize :(

Last edited:
Respectful, yes, but Cruz does not make sense.

Makes about as much sense as most callouts in MMA. Cruz is a big name and if he is returning it's not surprising he is going to be fighting someone at the top. Also, he called out 3 guys, it's not like he is targeting Cruz specifically.

The first three Cruz vs. faber fights weren't enough for you?

Makes about as much sense as most callouts in MMA. Cruz is a big name and if he is returning it's not surprising he is going to be fighting someone at the top. Also, he called out 3 guys, it's not like he is targeting Cruz specifically.

That's a big IF! At this point (1) he's already been out longer than he was with that leg injury; and (2) he's coming off a loss. Despite those significant differences, he didn't come back from his formerly longest layoff to fight a top contender: Takeya Mizugaki was a solid fighter but not a threat to the champion. If anything, it would make sense for him to aim lower this time, not higher. Most importantly, is there any hint that a comeback is in the works for him?

Lineker was 8-1 in his last 9 with the loss coming from Dillashaw when Cory beat him

That decision was pretty much a robbery.

Moraes will send Petr Yan back to the midget factory with seven shades of shit beaten out of him.

Called out Cory Sandhagen too. Would watch any of those fights.
Sterling/Sandhagen is the fight to make. Wouldn't mind watching them fight the old timers, respectively, but if we want to establish a title shot pecking order, it should be these two.

It's got to be Sterling vs. Sandhagen, no other fight makes sense. Edgar can go to the back of the queue, he hasn't won a fight in donkeys years and has never fought at 135lbs. he can fight someone like Jimmie Rivera.

I hate that guy.....
giphy.gif

That decision was pretty much a robbery.

Maybe I need to rewatch it but I remember it being a pretty clear cut win for Sandhagen, in fact I was really surprised it was a split decision.

Sterling? Why?

Respectful callout that makes perfect sense imho, those are the guys he should be fighting. He also called out Cory Sandhagen btw, so clearly he is not just after some marquee fight.

Also worth noting he was supposedly close to getting a fight against Edgar at UFC 244 at MSG. The NYC Athletic Commission wouldn't clear him for the fight so he decided to get the wrist surgery he'd been putting off.

He's also been pushing for the Cruz fight since forever and if you're Dominick Cruz you should be estatic that the #2 bantamweight is eager to fight you. You could get back to the title picture very quickly with a win over Sterling.

Both are respectable choices for his next fight, and Sandhagen is always there if neither materializes.

Back