Media Aljo confirms he was not out

It always interests me to see everyone jump on hardline stances to a thing like this.

Check this out. It will help some of you if you aren't too stubborn to accept it:

There is a GRAY AREA within which either decision is acceptable and within the referees split second judgement.

This was in that range.

If he let it go the next few seconds either Aljo survives or gets hurt again and he stops it then, and that would have been OK.

Or

He stops it when he did, Aljo had been dropped and eaten a few decent followups (many many fights have been stopped on the knockdown alone) he seems to be turning his back (though he seemed to be trying to get up) and turning your back on an attacking opponent is frowned upon.

Either way was within the RANGE of where it falls to the judges discretion.

It was neither a perfect stoppage nor a horrible stoppage. It was an OK stoppage.

Fights are chaotic.
It ain't always gonna be perfect.

Ref made a call and thats what it is.

Good take.

Was it an egregiously bad stoppage? No.

Was it an inarguable perfect stoppage? No.

It’s right there where letting it go a little longer would have been reasonable but stopping it was not unfathomable. While “questionable” carries a negative connotation, I think it’s fair to say in that there’s a reasonable argument to be made both ways. Taking a hardline stance shows a stubbornness and unwillingness to consider opinions at odds with your own in my opinion.

Those who claim bad stoppage have not been punched in the face before. It hurts lol.
Of course it does lmao but these guys chose to get punched for a living. It's not a guy that got jumped going to get the mail.

Of course it does lmao but these guys chose to get punched for a living. It's not a guy that got jumped going to get the mail.
True. Well, my point is that Aljo was defenseless and hopeless. He took all of that punch and was really hurt. There was no coming back from that. But hey, just my take. Good day.

Frank shamrock slamming Igor ..broke his collar bone...koed him and the dude never fought again..

i asked for a LATE STOPPAGE that causes someone to never fight again.
ffs you people have such low iq

Aljo needs to stop talking for awhile.

It's funny the fight was stopped as Aljo was about to get up.

But not while he was on his back eating shots.

Interesting.

If an illegal knee took you out where you can no longer continue...eating 5 unanswered strikes that are landing isn't good for your health...

Aljo: I wasn't concussed
Also Aljo: I didn't know which state we were because I temporarily lost a whole week.

he was only able to get to his knees because the ref stopped the fight. it is less than a second but the minute u stop eating straight shots to the face on the ground, u can scramble to your back...

it was a good stoppage.

i can't complain about that stoppage, sterling was flopping around eating clean, accurate follow up shots on the ground and not defending

early stoppage, and I dont care for either fighters.

He had already taken around 20 unanswered shots to the head. By turning over like that he was going to for sure eat a few more. Probably like 3-5 more shots before he could get to his knees or grab Sean's legs

Also if you watch full cards these days, the play by play threads on here are filled with people complaining about early stoppages in every fight. At a certain point this is just how it is these days, it's not an early stoppage when fights are normally stopped at that point.

I used to want to root for Sterling but as he's an unauthentic clown (who somewhat redeemed himself with his speech post-fight) it was very hard. This makes it harder once again.

Also, seeing as this is a @D 1 Wrestler thread:

mcgregor-vs-khabib.gif

I'll second that motion sir lol.
IMG-20220611-WA0008.jpg 0517effbbb3ddb789d6e365402187c0c.jpg

He definitely got got more than a lot of other stoppages I've seen and didn't have a problem with

Yeh, there was a whole lot of unanswered shots right before the big one that he turned over after. And that's after getting badly dropped.

You just can't take that sort of punishment and not have the fight stopped.

Had Aljo not faceplanted into the mat, Goddard would’ve probably let it go a little longer, but he has to look out for fighter safety n the dude was gettin beat up and had already been rocked badly. Cmon Aljo. I get you wanna go out on your shield but just cause it’s a championship fight doesn’t mean the refs have to let it go until you’re unconscious lol

If you’re a fan of the guy who’s the nail it’s an early stoppage, if you support the hammer it was acceptable… is normal
<BC1>

I'm not even convinced Sterling was trying to get back to his feet to be honest. It looked like he just wanted it to stop and the ref duly obliged.

End of the day he face planted and got battered on the ground for a prolonged period. He had plenty of time to show more effective defence and get up, enough in my opinion for a defending champion. He fell well short and the ref quite reasonably called it off.

Blows my mind that some of you are still viewing this as an early finish or conspiracy. Sterling lives to fight another day.

Stoppage wasn’t great but when he rolled over he put himself in an awkward position and Goddard made a split second decision. Got dropped and was getting pounded on. I think Aljo’s assessment is fair here overall. Was just a 50/50 shot at that point with the ref stopping it or not and he stopped it.

Back