Aljos reign was similar to TWood.... Some got fooled into thinking they were GOATs

I dont understand whats the point of even having these discussions on here if your going to be accused of baiting ,
so im not even going to say anything.

But just know even if Tyron/aljo won their next 10 fights they still wouldnt get the respect they deserve....[\b]
the writing is on the wall. it is what it is. Nobody was fooled into anything they were disliked heavily to the point fans and ufc alike couldnt
wait for them to lose. So they could never be GOATS only purist of the art would be able to accurately rate their position without any
bias

This is so drastically far from what their careers were actually like it’s not even funny.

“if Tim Tebow won 20 super bowls people still wouldn’t give him the respect he deserves.”

People look at records and not fights.

Aljo had a great win against sandhagen, got handed a dq in a fight he was losing against yan, then won against him (so essentially 1-1), fought a retired and much smaller cejudo, and a crippled TJ who had no business fighting that night.

I think Aljo still has a strong BW GOAT argument

/shrug

Both were great champions. I don't get the hate. They did what real champions do. In Woodley case he was the only champ really defending titles while the Conor show was spreading like cancer and everyone wanted to be double champ and money fights.

I mentioned they were active. They deserve a ton of credit for activity and defending specially in recent era of inactive champs.

But that doesnt erase sus performances and controversial decisions they got. They had some defenses and were great fighters but GOAT talk was asinine when they were champs and after.

Woodley did have a dynamite Championship win when he shadow realmed Robbie Lawler for the belt.

1/4 of his defenses were hot garbage though, and yet he acted like God’s gift to WW. I can’t imagine how insufferable Garry is gonna be if he gets the strap. Crikey.

Well, as long as Shavkat is around, I don't think we will have to suffer that.

I mentioned they were active. They deserve a ton of credit for activity and defending specially in recent era of inactive champs.

But that doesnt erase sus performances and controversial decisions they got. They had some defenses and were great fighters but GOAT talk was asinine when they were champs and after.
Ehh half the time here we guess the next "goat", those guys were closest to a gsp/silva streak and some fans get a little jumpy too soon. I think that will always be a thing here. I think many abandon after 1st loss and find someone new. I believe the best fighter hasn't fought yet myself.

Everyone who wins nowadays is the "p4p greatest fighter ever".. I'm sick to the back teeth of all the hyperbole around everyone, just a huge lack of stars in modern MMA creates this. So people try desperately to make everyone seem super and unbeatable. Sterling has had a couple of title fights, most of which were very bizarre and I don't know if he even won half of them, it was weird and bizarre fights.

Woodley wasn't even 2nd best WW of all time. Aljo had a legit argument for being the BW GOAT, Woodley and Usman did not but that's mostly cause Hughes and GSP set the bar so high.

The only thing that aligns between the two is the skin color. OP is projecting hardcore here. Woodley was always a stand and banger. Aljo is the epitome of a back pack. Literally nothing is similar about them as a fighter.

Aljo won by DQ, had a split decision vs former champ (legit), fought TJ who was gaming the commission and came in so injured he couldn't even fight, had a split against the real 125 lb champ who hadn't fought in 3 years, and then fought O'Malley with one of the dumb all time game plans.

Watching him dart in with his jaw in the air there reminded me just how far MMA has yet to come. Guy was begging to be countered and O'Malley was willing.

I did think he'd basically be grapple only game planning, takedown after takedown clinch after clinch, i thought wrong. Maybe O'malley's movement was just too good, or maybe Aljo had a stupid game plan, or maybe Aljo doesn't have good enough grappling to deal with the movement.

I was never a fan of Woodley but if someone is overrated on here thats Hughes, as usually with American posterboy champs who were protected by UFC back when Pride was the premier organization. Franklin is another example.

I think a huge difference is the history of WW vs BW. If it wasn’t for injuries it would probably be Cruz. The title changed hands too many times to have a clear cut GOAT.

Sure, you could say AlJo but that’s mostly due to inconsistency of division. Aljo fights against Yan and cejudo were close as heck and TJ hurt himself.

Aljo won by DQ, had a split decision vs former champ (legit), fought TJ who was gaming the commission and came in so injured he couldn't even fight, had a split against the real 125 lb champ who hadn't fought in 3 years, and then fought O'Malley with one of the dumb all time game plans.

Watching him dart in with his jaw in the air there reminded me just how far MMA has yet to come. Guy was begging to be countered and O'Malley was willing.

I did think he'd basically be grapple only game planning, takedown after takedown clinch after clinch, i thought wrong. Maybe O'malley's movement was just too good, or maybe Aljo had a stupid game plan, or maybe Aljo doesn't have good enough grappling to deal with the movement.

Maybe Sean's movement indeed shows how far MMA has come, considering Cruz's movement was the pinnacle of the sport a decade ago.
I agree Aljo was very dissappointing. Imo was the weakest UFC champ with Hill and a massive weight cutter

I would put the blame towards the ufc hype machine behind him more than anything.
A fighter didn't call him the best ever except for O'Malley, who was hyping up his title fight. UFC commentators were pointing out his records. I don't recall any person on this board going in that direction.

Sterling isn't the BW GOAT. We know this. His resume and last eight wins are filled with some great names, however. Respect to him. He's grown a lot as a fighter and in that post fight interview after the loss he was all class.
Hmmm, I don't know. Is it still Cruz? On paper it might be sterling honestly, although i would not pick him against prime dillashaw or cejudo. Then again I wouldn't pick cejudo against prime tj or cruz either. Cejudo also did not have a great showing against DJ. It might have been Dillashaw but he lost that fight against Cruz and then missed a fair bit of his prime before losing to sterling.

I'm just going to go ahead and say that they all sucked and that Suga is the new generation and he has evolved past them all!!!!!!! :D:D

If Joe Rogan says it enthusiastically during an event then people believe it.

UFC is always trying to pump up whoever is current for marketing / promotional reasons.

H
TWood was never close to GSP or Hughes

Aljo was never close to TJ or Cruz

but that didnt stop the comps. Like clockwork. Both fought and were active but had too many sus performances and disputed controversial decisions. Its only wikiwatchers who dont apply context to fights that thought they were GOATs.

Aljo might be top 5 BW alltime but hes not even clearly better than prime Barao whos 3rd or 4th.

TWood is barely top 10. It is what it is.
Sherdog have « great black hope » syndrome. It always have been like this.

TWood was always close to GSP or Hughes

Suga sean was never close to TJ or Cruz

but that didnt stop the comps. Like clockwork. Both fought and were active but had too many sus performances and disputed controversial decisions. Its only wikiwatchers who dont apply context to fights that thought they were GOATs.

Suga Sean might be top 15 BW alltime but hes not even clearly better than prime Barao whos 3rd or 4th.

TWood is clearly top 10 It is what it is.

Back