Aljos reign was similar to TWood.... Some got fooled into thinking they were GOATs

Yan > sterling

Make the 3rd fight

He's on a 3 fight losing streak, do you really think it's in his best interest to be fighting a guy hes 0-2 against? He needs a step down in competition and a win.

He's on a 3 fight losing streak, do you really think it's in his best interest to be fighting a guy hes 0-2 against? He needs a step down in competition and a win.
He was winning the first fight decisively and momentary lapse cost him

2nd fight was very competitive, aljo won but it was not definitive

He was winning the first fight decisively and momentary lapse cost him

2nd fight was very competitive, aljo won but it was not definitive

I feel like everyone forgets the first 2 rounds of that fight. Yan was decisively winning the round but he lost the first 2 rounds and round 4 wasn't even over yet. He had all of the momentum but it likely would have been tied going into round 5 if he didn't through the illegal knee.

Both were great champions. I don't get the hate. They did what real champions do. In Woodley case he was the only champ really defending titles while the Conor show was spreading like cancer and everyone wanted to be double champ and money fights.

That's definitely revisionist history. Woodley didn't have a choice. He wanted Nick Diaz for his first title defense and said the UFC was racist when they didn't acquiesce

I was never a fan of Woodley but if someone is overrated on here thats Hughes, as usually with American posterboy champs who were protected by UFC back when Pride was the premier organization. Franklin is another example.
Lmfao Pride didn't have Hughes weight class, you can't hold that against him

aljo is like a mix of woodley and benson henderson in terms of how his “reign” will be remembered.

TWood was never close to GSP or Hughes

Aljo was never close to TJ or Cruz

but that didnt stop the comps. Like clockwork. Both fought and were active but had too many sus performances and disputed controversial decisions. Its only wikiwatchers who dont apply context to fights that thought they were GOATs.

Aljo might be top 5 BW alltime but hes not even clearly better than prime Barao whos 3rd or 4th.

TWood is barely top 10. It is what it is.
A guy actually won a world title faking. Wmma is broooooootal and they got more honor then to pull that.

Lmfao Pride didn't have Hughes weight class, you can't hold that against him

Its not about hold or not hold against, its just acknowleding the state of the sport at the time: UFC was not bringing in the best guys of Hughes size to challenge for his belt.

You cant pretend to ignore such context while nitpicking and discrediting Woodley's run, when Woodley was indeed fighting in the premier org at the time and actually taking on the best guys his size worldwide.

Imagine if Woodley defended his belt vs a guy who just lost a WW tittle fight in another org because the winner got a better offer from Bellator. Well thats exactly what happened with Sakurai/Anderson in 2002

Aljo beating Yan like that was pretty eye opening for me. I really though yan was special.

Eh, kind of. Aljo's better imho. TWood was 6-0-1 in his WW title run with 3 title defenses, Aljo was 9-0-0 with 3 title defenses. You could argue the Thompson/Twood draw was similar to Aljo and Yan's close fight, but, still, same # of title defenses so 9-0 beats 6-1-1. I'd also take one armed TJ over Till.

Why are you underrating Twood?

Twood fought Jake Paul twice and had a rap song about eating yo ass!

that’s pretty much the pinnacle of human cockfighting.

Khabib didn't take up on Woodley..
He would be given shortcut path if he wanted.

Woodley seemed good at the time.

Aljo is MUCH better than twood, people forget that Aljo had 3 straight top 5 wins going into the fight with yan the first time. he won the second fight certainly.

I agree he's not goat status or anything but definately better champ than woodley
Woodley was the better champ.

Woodley was the better champ.
I'd never agree.

Woodley sat around not fighting for a year to get a title shot, his best win at that time was a split decision over gastelum.

Sterling had 3 top 5 wins in a row and made a statement with his submission win over sandhagen (who is still a top bw today)

Chito is about to get a title shot off of beating Munoz, who sterling beat already in 2019. That tells you that win has aged well and is still valuable today.

Even in title fights, Woodley's only impressive performance was against Darren Till. Till, who has shown to not be great and many thought he lost the fight to thompson to earn his title shot AND he even missed weight for that fight.

Woodleys rematch with thompson was Awful, and he was gifted a draw in the first fight. Woodleys fight against Maia was also awful. Then he went on to lose 16 straight rounds before getting finished by luque and cut by the ufc. I don't think there is a single champion with 5 weaker title wins than woodley though I'll agree sterling is close. I Scored the fight with Cejudo 4-1 Probably his most impressive win.

Sterling's path to the title > Woodley's path to the title
Sterling's competition > Woodley's competition
Sterlings title wins > Woodley's title win

Everyone loves to believe the new guy is the best. Recency bias at its finest

A lot of people want to say they watched the GOAT their whole careers when looking back, and these types missed the boat on the ones before so are quick to call the guys they are watching as GOATs or trying to make arguments for it.

I'd never agree.

Woodley sat around not fighting for a year to get a title shot, his best win at that time was a split decision over gastelum.

Sterling had 3 top 5 wins in a row and made a statement with his submission win over sandhagen (who is still a top bw today)

Chito is about to get a title shot off of beating Munoz, who sterling beat already in 2019. That tells you that win has aged well and is still valuable today.

Even in title fights, Woodley's only impressive performance was against Darren Till. Till, who has shown to not be great and many thought he lost the fight to thompson to earn his title shot AND he even missed weight for that fight.

Woodleys rematch with thompson was Awful, and he was gifted a draw in the first fight. Woodleys fight against Maia was also awful. Then he went on to lose 16 straight rounds before getting finished by luque and cut by the ufc. I don't think there is a single champion with 5 weaker title wins than woodley though I'll agree sterling is close. I Scored the fight with Cejudo 4-1 Probably his most impressive win.

Sterling's path to the title > Woodley's path to the title
Sterling's competition > Woodley's competition
Sterlings title wins > Woodley's title win

Woodley's path to the tittle, which includes the Strikeforce belt, is not worse than Sterling's, and you seem to forget that KOed Lawler to become champ.
His fights with Thomson are not less close/controversial than Sterling vs Yan, and the Maia W as boring as it was, is more impressive than a severely handicapped TJ in the verge of retirement. And Woodley had more defenses

You could only possibly rank Sterling's career to date superior to Woodley if a W over the much smaller Cejudo coming of a 3 year layoff is of mythical proportions to you.
Woodley wasnt lucky enough to get a LW champ to move up and challenge him

Woodley's path to the tittle, which includes the Strikeforce belt, is not worse than Sterling's, and you seem to forget that KOed Lawler to become champ.
His fights with Thomson are not less close/controversial than Sterling vs Yan, and the Maia W as boring as it was, is more impressive than a severely handicapped TJ in the verge of retirement. And Woodley had more defenses

You could only possibly rank Sterling's career to date superior to Woodley if the W over the much smaller Cejudo coming of a 3 year layoff is of mythical proportions to you.
Woodley wasnt lucky enough to get a LW champ to move up and challenge him

TWood and Aljo both had 3 defenses. 1st Wonderboy fight was a draw that counts as retaining your title not defending it.

Back