All Time GOAT poll

I am talking about eyepokes.

You are right - accidental eyepokes has always happened, and it has never been a major problem. Then Jones started doing it on purpose (he admitted to that). In every fight. Repeatedly. And boom - they made the new rule. Yes, they did not come out and say it was because of Jones, so if one wants, one can say it has nothing to do with him.

However, they did not say they changed rules about nut shots because of Hackney, but it happened pretty fast after that fight.
They did not say Tank was the reason for new rules about throwing opponents out the octagon, but the rule change happened quickly after he tried to do it.

The fact is - Jones was gaming the system, and as he lack morals of any sort, he saw a loophole that allowed him to poke his opponents eyes out repeatedly. Even with the new gloves. I don't remember what fight, but Jon got like 5+ warnings for outstretched fingers. How the hell do you get 5+ warnings, and no point deduction?
lol yeah. Boom, 10 years later they changed the gloves.

He had a handicap or exemption to roid while his opponents didn’t!!

With the right handicap I could beat prime tiger woods in golf too

It didn't even win Jones that round. He was getting beat up for 4 minutes and the elbow didn't knock Alex down.

i dunno, didn't rewatch that fight in full. That's what i thought then.

This conversation will always devolve into the pro steroids group saying they're fine with cheating, so everyone should be. Sorry dog, the results are in and most people aren't ok with cheating. Especially when it's that blatant.
Is it really cheating when there is a 99% all of your opponents are also using them?

I would be fine if the safeguards around them were actually stringent and weren't just glorified IQ tests, but if I'm an elite fighter with a ton of money and glory on the line, no way would I let my opponents have the edge just because I want to be honorable. Unfortunately, that is the system today.

This goes for all sports at the elite level.

Nope. PED. Out of the picture, period. And that the UFC showcases the guy as the "GOAT" (and a lot of people on this board) in such circumstances shows how of a joke MMA still is on the sport level. Take the biggest sport in the world, football (soccer... w/e), take their best players and see what happens if one them was popped ONCE (Jones was popped THRICE). End of career.

Proof: one of them was popped recently. Promising star. World champ. Was considered one of the best at his position even if the recent years weren't too good for him. He doesn't exist anymore. He's out for four years, no salary, no training at his club's facility, no competition, nothing. Nobody talks about him either. It's over.

Back to UFC: Jones = GOAT. Popped thrice. LMAO, bunch of jokes.
Pogba was already on the downswing compared to his popular days.

The comparison to Prime Jones should be Prime Ronaldo. Do you think in any reality that La Liga or UEFA or whatever FA would have caught Ronaldo would announce that he popped or suspend him? Not a chance.

Doping in futbol is rampant, it's so obvious, guys are running full tilt at 90'+9' then come back for a cup semi-final two days later then go to Europe for a knockout stage game 4 days later. Shit is ridiculous. I don't mind it BTW, I think they should use all that is available to augment their performance and ensure they are recovered, but let's not pretend that Pogba getting popped means that world futbol isn't full of PEDs.

jon jones is a dirty ass cheat, not only with the picograms but also with the deliberate i pokes.... but he is still the GOAT.....no ones has come along in p4p that makes me think they have an answer to his reach, wrestling and IQ.... i thought ciryl gane would but i was wrong.

<RomeroSalute><RomeroSalute><RomeroSalute>

Seems to me the “Is Jon GOAT” debate is getting stale. The reason is pretty easy to see. Fans who say PED violations disqualify a fighter from GOAT status reject Jon outright. Opposed to them are fans who say that Jon’s performance alone establishes that he is GOAT, regardless of PEDs.

(I’m talking about LHW GOAT or the more generic “one of the GOATs”. Either way as I’m framing it.)

So how about this:

Any Sherdoggers willing to say that PEDs are a negative, a mark against possible GOAT status, but that ON BALANCE, Jon is still GOAT?

Alternatively, any Sherdoggers who are honestly willing to overlook PED violations but say, “Hey, Jon STILL ain’t GOAT”?
My problem with the PED stuff is that it was only picograms for one, but two several of Jon's opponents have popped and I find it highly unlikely those were the only sauced people he faced, and they popped when it was much easier to get away with using.

My other issue with it is that Fedor foought in an organization that, if memory serves, actually promoted PED use, and the other people in the GOAT discussion barely fought under the more rigorous USADA testing, which I doubt rooted everyone out anyway.

PEDs make you able to train harder. PEDs make you able to reconstituate faster. Peds make you able to heal from injuries faster. PEDs make you able to work hard for a longer period. PEDs can give you a better constitution. I could go on.

There is a reason professional athletes in all sports are willing to do PEDs even when it could ruin everything they have worked for. The reason being - PED's fucking work. And work so well that risking your career is worth it.

That you say something so stupid in defense of PED's, and add an insult, makes you look like a moron with a cheater mentality.
Yeah, they help a bunch in regards to being able to train. But they themselves don't teach you technique.

Yeah, they help a bunch in regards to being able to train. But they themselves don't teach you technique.
I agree. However, they do allow you to train that technique more, and to have more physical strength to apply those techniques, and more stamina to stay fresh to apply the techniques. So at least a good part of a PED abusers skill comes from doing the PEDs in a roundabout fashion.

Is it really cheating when there is a 99% all of your opponents are also using them?

I would be fine if the safeguards around them were actually stringent and weren't just glorified IQ tests, but if I'm an elite fighter with a ton of money and glory on the line, no way would I let my opponents have the edge just because I want to be honorable. Unfortunately, that is the system today.

This goes for all sports at the elite level.
Agreed. In any competitive environment people are going to cheat, especially when there's a lot of money on the line. That's just the way it is.

It's all subjective anyway. I don't care if someone doesn't have Jon as goat but other people sure as shit don't like it if somebody else does.

So you think peds alone, teach you head movement, grappling, striking defense and gameplanning? You're using them as a scapegoat.
1) Those aspects of the game are in need of practice in order to be improved
2) You can practice more, harder and more effectively with the help of PEDs.
3) PEDs improve, through ease of practice, those aspects unfairly
Hope that helps.

Agreed. In any competitive environment people are going to cheat, especially when there's a lot of money on the line. That's just the way it is.

It's all subjective anyway. I don't care if someone doesn't have Jon as goat but other people sure as shit don't like it if somebody else does.
Some are ok with cheaters, others are not.

That's perfectly ok. I don't have this type of hangup because I believe they all cheat.
In Denmark we have a saying - "Thieves think everyone steals" *shrug*

If everyone is cheating, and there is a plethora of tainted supplements out there, I find it strange that more people do not pop.

Back