Am I crazy to think that Leon wasn’t impressive?

Leon had good moments but has many flaws. But he was good enough to exploit one flaw in Usman. Leon's style is to kind of wait for openings and strike and usman gave him something. So Leon's not that good but he was the right man for this job.

First off, props to still having mental toughness to still go for it with only a minute left. Amazing picture perfect set up and knock out shot. One of the cleanest knocks outs I’ve ever seen.

But as a whole, I wasn’t terribly impressed by Leon and still come away thinking Usman is the better overall fighter. The strength difference was apparent, the gap in wrestling/grappling was massive and Usman looked to be out striking him on multiple occasions.

Didn’t have a horse in this race….didn’t care who won and credit to Leon…but as a whole…I expected better from him through out the fight and see no reason as to why Usman doesn’t comfortably win the rematch. Sometimes the ending doesn’t tell the story of the entire fight.

Of course there’s always the chance that a Usman isn’t the same after a vicious knock out like that as well….

Colby couldn't take down Usman. Leon did

Masvidal couldn't knock out Usman. Leon did

Show some respect man. Leon had an inconsistent performance but he managed to get the belt off a beautiful KO. Leon will be even more confident in the rematch. Usmans time as champ is done.

Leon did plenty of fence grabbing himself sir.
Even got put back in a position because of it.
I think Usman’s infractions were completely ignored by “the best in the” Herb Dean. Leon could have had Karamu’s back a second time, with plenty on the clock to work..

I get it, the UFC is trying to erased GSP and his accomplishments, with the sale of Usman. The problem is, some people actually drink it up!

I don’t have a problem with Usman, at all. I just appreciate a level playing field. That goes for what’s said in the booth too.

Last edited:
So happy he's getting champ money. Deserves it.

Leon has been in UFC for years and has a long winstreak. He was already making really good money in the strong six figures but now with the belt he will be getting the millions coming in.

First off, props to still having mental toughness to still go for it with only a minute left. Amazing picture perfect set up and knock out shot. One of the cleanest knocks outs I’ve ever seen.

But as a whole, I wasn’t terribly impressed by Leon and still come away thinking Usman is the better overall fighter. The strength difference was apparent, the gap in wrestling/grappling was massive and Usman looked to be out striking him on multiple occasions.

Didn’t have a horse in this race….didn’t care who won and credit to Leon…but as a whole…I expected better from him through out the fight and see no reason as to why Usman doesn’t comfortably win the rematch. Sometimes the ending doesn’t tell the story of the entire fight.

Of course there’s always the chance that a Usman isn’t the same after a vicious knock out like that as well….
He was pretty impressive in the first round... and that last second of the fight.

you're not crazy, but you are an imbecile.

Mixed martial arts is full of bouts where the 'better overall fighter' doesn't win. Stylistic matchups, mitigating circumstances, etc create these scenarios.

I can't think of a more impressive feat as a fighter than:

- Taking Usman down and taking his back
- Getting grapple fucked for 3 rounds
- getting mentally broken
- Being gassed
- Losing 3 rounds to 1
- With one minute left, having the wherewithal to throw a 4d chess combo to set up a headkick KO with the speed and power necessary to pull it off

The only other time we've seen something this spectacular is when Anderson subbed Chael in round 5.

He was badly overmatched and got a fluke win. Not much different than when Nate almost KOd him. It's almost a moral loss. Like he knows what the score was and that one good kick doesn't really overshadow him getting dominated.

Nothing about that set up, kick, or anything was a "fluke." he intended to make Usman react to his jab cross feint with a slip to the outside where he would meet his shin, and that's exactly what happened. It was cold and calculated.

I dunno. He made it happen, that's not luck. He's always been capable of something like that. That's what makes him an elite striker.

It's no surprise that Trevor Whitman (in the UFC Countdown) calls Edwards a phenomenal striker ( or words to that effect). Tonight was an emphatic reminder.

If it was Adesanya in there tonight, I don't think people would be calling it luck. That's because despite having his detractors (boring, point fighter blah blah) people at least give him his dues. With Leon however - different story.

Whatever, it is what it is!!!
Sorry, but that's not only illogical, but short-sighted.
If he could have done that from the beginning, then why would he spend rounds 2,3,4 and most of 5 before putting Usman's lights out?

This is not the movies, where perfectly times strikes happens on a whim.
Obviously his training and skills increased the probability he would hit. But that does not mean he did not get lucky by timing it perfectly and hitting Usman exactly on the right spot.
Because at that time, if Usman would have survived the kick, even dazed, he would still have won that fight.

Sorry, but that's not only illogical, but short-sighted.
If he could have done that from the beginning, then why would he spend rounds 2,3,4 and most of 5 before putting Usman's lights out?

This is not the movies, where perfectly times strikes happens on a whim.
Obviously his training and skills increased the probability he would hit. But that does not mean he did not get lucky by timing it perfectly and hitting Usman exactly on the right spot.
Because at that time, if Usman would have survived the kick, even dazed, he would still have won that fight.

He's knocked people out with that same combo before and it was part of his strategy. Of course you can't guarantee it will land, but it was purposeful and on this occasion it landed. Luck isn't part of it. If it is then any move you make in the Octagon is subject to "luck". It's really not that hard to understand.

you're not crazy, but you are an imbecile.

Mixed martial arts is full of bouts where the 'better overall fighter' doesn't win. Stylistic matchups, mitigating circumstances, etc create these scenarios.

I can't think of a more impressive feat as a fighter than:

- Taking Usman down and taking his back
- Getting grapple fucked for 3 rounds
- getting mentally broken
- Being gassed
- Losing 3 rounds to 1
- With one minute left, having the wherewithal to throw a 4d chess combo to set up a headkick KO with the speed and power necessary to pull it off

The only other time we've seen something this spectacular is when Anderson subbed Chael in round 5.

I love how posters are saying “show Leon some respect". Let me reiterate...I expected better from Leon. He was always going to be live dog in this fight. I was not impressed with his overall performance. He fought extremely reserved for someone who might not ever get a title shot again with the way bad luck has hit his career. He doesn't move needle. He doesn't register with the fans at all. There is no demand for him and he has to know this. You might not get another chance and far too often he had his back against the fence getting teed off on and barely throwing back. He barely if ever let his hands go, no clinch elbows ... nothing. To me, he took a gamble by trying to keep something in his tank for the ending. The gamble obviously paid off in a massive way.

As far as your points go

-Goes without saying, impressed as hell with the takedown and the transition to Usmans back.

- Getting grappled fucked was something he had to know was coming. Did a nice job getting back to his feet but his TDD wasn't on point at all. Usman was ragdolling him and getting Takedowns at will at times.

-Leon was Mentally broken? I don't even know how anyone quantifies this since only Leon knows what was going on in his head....but whatever go with it.

-Gassed. Everyone was gassed and dealing with the same issues that night. It is what it is.

- I already gave the dude props for the knock out. It was legit one of the cleanest knock outs ever and will go down in the history books considering the stakes.

And after all that....my original point still stands. I expected better from Leon, wasnt terribly impressed by his performance as a whole and believe he's better then what he showed in that fight, but still came away thinking Usman is the better fighter.

He's knocked people out with that same combo before and it was part of his strategy. Of course you can't guarantee it will land, but it was purposeful and on this occasion it landed. Luck isn't part of it. If it is then any move you make in the Octagon is subject to "luck". It's really not that hard to understand.
Kid, what's really not that hard to understand is the fact he was clearly losing this fight which was almost ending.
To get that hit and knock Usman (who was never knocked out before), it is obvious it has some level of luck involved.
I don't understand people like you, who thinks this demeans his win. It does not.
But clearly he was not the better fighter last night. he got out with a win, but it was indeed lucky.

It's a common technique and I've seen it done before. Anyone saying it was luck is just crazy. Leon's tried it in the past and off the top of my head, Izzy used the same technique against Costa in their fight shortly before the tko.

Never seen it done this cleanly though.

It's ironic that Usman recently had one of the cleanest KOs that Ive seen in recent history with that right hand on Jorge ...and now he's on the receiving end of one just as clean. Both shots sending their victims into the shadow realm.

Its a ruthless game.

Kid, what's really not that hard to understand is the fact he was clearly losing this fight which was almost ending.
To get that hit and knock Usman (who was never knocked out before), it is obvious it has some level of luck involved.
I don't understand people like you, who thinks this demeans his win. It does not.
But clearly he was not the better fighter last night. he got out with a win, but it was indeed lucky.

You can be losing the fight but still end the fight by design.

If you don't understand that I really don't think I can help you.

I thought Leon was holding up well in the grappling department until like the end of round two. I don't think fighting in high elevation was doing him any favors either.

But the third fight will be totally different. Leon will be more confident knowing he can hurt Usman, I suspect Usman will not be the same after that either. I think it's a toss up
If Leon opens up as an underdog, I'll bet him again. The elevation diffidently seemed to hurt him, as it did many that night. I also see a rematch as a 50/50 fight.

i would love to hear someone say this take in an actual real life physical realm conversation with people instead of on a forum with a bunch of buff and cool dudes on the internet

I love how posters are saying “show Leon some respect". Let me reiterate...I expected better from Leon. He was always going to be live dog in this fight. I was not impressed with his overall performance. He fought extremely reserved for someone who might not ever get a title shot again with the way bad luck has hit his career. He doesn't move needle. He doesn't register with the fans at all. There is no demand for him and he has to know this. You might not get another chance and far too often he had his back against the fence getting teed off on and barely throwing back. He barely if ever let his hands go, no clinch elbows ... nothing. To me, he took a gamble by trying to keep something in his tank for the ending. The gamble obviously paid off in a massive way.

As far as your points go

-Goes without saying, impressed as hell with the takedown and the transition to Usmans back.

- Getting grappled fucked was something he had to know was coming. Did a nice job getting back to his feet but his TDD wasn't on point at all. Usman was ragdolling him and getting Takedowns at will at times.

-Leon was Mentally broken? I don't even know how anyone quantifies this since only Leon knows what was going on in his head....but whatever go with it.

-Gassed. Everyone was gassed and dealing with the same issues that night. It is what it is.

- I already gave the dude props for the knock out. It was legit one of the cleanest knock outs ever and will go down in the history books considering the stakes.

And after all that....my original point still stands. I expected better from Leon, wasnt terribly impressed by his performance as a whole and believe he's better then what he showed in that fight, but still came away thinking Usman is the better fighter.

We get it. You're not that impressed that Leon Edwards took the pound for pound #1 and reigning Welterweight Champion down, took his back, and knocked him the fuck out. You're not impressed that he was the only one ever close to finishing this fight and took minimal damage all fight.

Trust me. We alllll understand what your posts mean. You're just silly.

Not crazy, it's an opinion on how you felt about a fighter.

I feel very differently about it. I think Edwards was extraordinarily impressive. When he scored that trip takedown to mount in round 1, I was blown away. I knew there wasn't much he could do with it, and he really should have just focused on logging damage and taxing Usman for the mistake to weigh on him as the fight continued. That would have been the better move there, rather than looking for a choke against an extremely skilled, trained and fresh opponent. But even as Usman came on effectively following that, Edwards maintained a very cool and disciplined approach. He never looked like he was checked out of the fight or particularly discouraged. He kept his head straight and bided his time looking for opportunities to implement his attacks. It paid off. There's no safe space with Edwards where you can afford to coast or assume it's in the bag, he's there all 5 and can finish any time.

Most guys who have made it to the championship rounds with Usman and were way down on the cards had nothing left to pose any threat. Edwards is an anomaly to that standard and Usman was not ready for it.

Back