Americans: why is CM Punk famous?

I think pro wrestling fans are easily impressed. Most of them are just kids anyway.

Wrong. It's well known that WWE fans are mostly grown up, average age in the 40s IIRC.

The UFC has a younger audience, which is also a good thing for the future of the sport.

He was a kind of independent star that pro wrestling hipsters loved and the rest is history

I know you've got "went off script" in quotes, but just to clarify for everybody else - it was a worked shoot and CM Punk didn't actually go off script.
He sold it well. His whole thing was he knew how to connect with the fans. In a world everyone knows is fake the man that can make it seem real has a huge edge.

- Is not athletic
- Doesn't have an impressive body (at all)
- Is a pretty boring speaker
- Has little charisma

So what was it? Gotta be something right?
I think it's a few things.

He was a big deal on the independent wrestling scene, rather than being a product of WWE so he was already "cool" in the eyes of those hardcore, or wannabe anti-establishment kinda wrestling fans who were booing every generic thing WWE was putting out at the time.
He even carried his original ring name CM Punk with him, which is unusual and the reason why he can legally still use it today. His name isn't owned by WWE.

He was an exciting performer and quite charismatic with the microphone, so i would disagree with your last points there.

His WWE run also started in their revived ECW brand as I recall. ECW was the coolest shit ever in the eyes of old school wrestling fans ...so he got very popular there, before he got too popular and WWE moved him to their main show.
080106punk2.jpg

After that I didn't follow his career much. But from what I know he was "cool", girls liked him, and had those "stick it to the Man" attitude, and wasn't a cookie cutter.

Contrast to another WWE champ from the same era, jack swagger, a strong amateur wrestler and physical specimen, pushed to the moon by WWE very fast, he turned out to be a failure because people rejected him, he was cookie cutter and boring in the ring and when talking.
He said he was gonna fight in bellator under his real name Jake Hager and nobody gave a flying fook.

Don't go looking for shit you don't want to find bro. That's a deep dark swamp of mountain dew, necrotic gums and illiteracy that you don't want to fall into.

A good reason to stay out of the Sherdog forums too while we're at it.

Your last point is very incorrect. In a wrestling environment he has lots of charisma. He had very high match quality(received more than 1 wrestling observer 5 star rated match), and also has one of the most infamous promos in wrestling history. He knew the business inside and out.

When i was in 4th grade at the ripe age of 10 (30 years ago) One of my teachers told me Pro Wrestling was fake. I never watched WWF (now called WWE) ever again.

When i was in 4th grade at the ripe age of 10 (30 years ago) One of my teachers told me Pro Wrestling was fake. I never watched WWF (now called WWE) ever again.
did you also never watch a tv show or movie again?

Even as a pro wrestling fan, I never understood it. If being entertaining on the mic is all it takes to be considered great, Bill Burr should be world champion.

Even as a pro wrestling fan, I never understood it. If being entertaining on the mic is all it takes to be considered great, Bill Burr should be world champion.

That's really not all it takes. You generally have to be able to do at least something in the ring. That's probably where Bill Burr would fall flat.

He might've made a good mouthpiece for someone else though.

I love movies. I was not lied to believe movies were real. 30 years ago, WWF was still pretending that shit was real.
so you want to BS your way into pretending you were turned off by wrestling at 10 years old because it was scripted? lol ok bud, try with a better story next time

I didn't think CM Punk was a good wrestler. But then again what do I know, I don't really follow it. I'm impressed by some of the more athletic and acrobatic moves like 720 spin flip slams and jumping off 20 foot cages doing flips. I remember watching CM Punk matches and it was painfully slow and unimpressive.

Maybe his acting and public speaking were impressing wrestling fans, what who am I to judge. MMA fans are just easily impressed by a coked up Irish guy who says random nonsense in an accent.

Sherdog have no right to shit on wrestling fans when they are so easily fooled by fake drama and "trash talk" in the UFC

so you want to BS your way into pretending you were turned off by wrestling at 10 years old because it was scripted? lol ok bud, try with a better story next time
I wouldn't expect someone with a Brock Lesnar AV to understand the difference between reality, and the garbage you have been watching. But consider the fact that some people (regardless of age) know the difference.

Im going to give you one Pro Wrestler i liked. Rowdy Roddy Piper. Only because i liked the "They Live" movie.

I wouldn't expect someone with a Brock Lesnar AV to understand the difference between reality, and the garbage you have been watching. But consider the fact that some people (regardless of age) know the difference.

Im going to give you one Pro Wrestler i liked. Rowdy Roddy Piper. Only because i liked the "They Live" movie.

lol apparently someone who likes wrestling gets you triggered so bad you makin up stories.

lol apparently someone who likes wrestling gets you triggered so bad you makin up stories.
I get you like Pro Wrestling, i am sure everyone gets that. But why can't you accept that some people don't like it because its fake? Are you one of those "its still real to me" losers?

He was a very talented in ring performer and had great charisma in the John Cena era. Not great in the Attitude era. When he "went off script" it was a big deal and fresh. WWE has gone to complete shit since the real days of Stone Cold, The Rock etc. When John Cena is carrying your company a guy like CM Punk can be a star.
WWF has gone to complete shit since the days of WWE.

I get you like Pro Wrestling, i am sure everyone gets that. But why can't you accept that some people don't like it because its fake? Are you one of those "its still real to me" losers?
I don't care if you don't like wrestling, I'm pointing out how bad your fake story was

I don't care if you don't like wrestling, I'm pointing out how bad your fake story was
Why do you assume my story is fake? Its a true story. Did all your teachers love Pro Wresting and lied to you like WWF lied to all its fans?

Sounds to me like you are jealous that i caught on at an early age and started watching UFC when SEG owned it. But you were still watching that fake shit.

Back