An updated greatest all time LW list?

How is benson Henderson above edgar, half of Henderson’s title wins in the ufc were robberies, melendez schooled him

Feels like it's been a long time since this was discussed. There's been a lot of shuffling around and legacy stuff at LW in the last few years..
Khabib's picture perfect walk off, the continued elite showings and steady improvement of the Justin and Dustin's, the powerful emergence of Du Bronx, etc...

Here's a couple lists I found online, these are as of right now:
Tapology
View attachment 994731

Fight Matrix
View attachment 994732

I have a very hard time keeping Eddie above Dustin maybe even Justin at this point. I also am not sure if Benson cracks my top 5 as of right now.

So much has changed. What do u guys think?
Share your top 5
McGoober ahead of Gaethje? Ll

Khabib over everyone ... check

Dustin? Never even was champion.
BJ Penn next.

Dustin Poirier should be below the top 10
never made champion

Gaethje just beat Poirier, decisively, so he should be above Dustin
the flaw with that reasoning: if the two best lightweights of all time have overlapping tenure, and only one can be champ, then the second best can never be champ. he simply had the misfortune of fighting in an era with better competition. why should he be ranked any lower than 2?

also, why is the belt so important? it used to be seen as a symbol of “the best” fighter in the division, but now it’s pretty well understood that it’s just a marketing gimmick. jamahal hill, by stroke of fortune, became champ at lhw even though he was ranked 7 or 8 at the time. should he above gus in the all-time list?

Khabib over everyone ... check

Dustin? Never even was champion.
BJ Penn next.

Dustin Poirier should be below the top 10
never made champion

Gaethje just beat Poirier, decisively, so he should be above Dustin
put aside your feelings, and check the fight matrix method, you see that number right next to the fighters, well thats somewhat scientific, and hell of a lot better than any other arbitrary list you'll find around.

Sherk always gets heavily overrated as a LW GOAT because he has such a good record and held a UFC belt.
Reality is he spent most his career at WW, has 6 fights at LW where he's 4-2(should be 3-3, robbed Dunham), won the belt when the division was at its absolute weakest, pissed hot and couldn't even finish his breakfast.

Shouldn't even be top 25. If you see someone rank Sherk in their list, disregard their opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: HHJ
Conor is 1-3 at lightweight...
He's not in the top-50 lightweights all-time.
<KhabibBS>

1-Khabib
2-BJ
3-Do Bronx
4-Benson
5-Edgar
6-Alvarez
7-Dustin
8-RDA
9-Gaethje

Tony is a wild card.
He is in my top 10 but it's tough to tell where.
He aint top 5 tho.

"not making champion" during teh reign of teh undisputed GOAT... should be taken into consideration in this pov.

Dustin took on & beat more people in teh top of teh division than even Khabib who left early once he got into top competition. Dustin's been in the mix vs top competition since before & after Khabib's reign.

Your last sentence nullifies your entire argument. Dustin's been a LW since 2015. Khabib only reigned from 2018-2020 and they fought each other in 2019. In the 3 years before Khabib and 4 years since their fight he hasn't won the belt either. In fact specifically lost a title fight to Charles and just lost essentially a #1 contender fight to Justin.

At a certain point you just need to let it go that the guy's champion material. Good top 5 fighter, but that's it.

the flaw with that reasoning: if the two best lightweights of all time have overlapping tenure, and only one can be champ, then the second best can never be champ. he simply had the misfortune of fighting in an era with better competition. why should he be ranked any lower than 2?

also, why is the belt so important? it used to be seen as a symbol of “the best” fighter in the division, but now it’s pretty well understood that it’s just a marketing gimmick. jamahal hill, by stroke of fortune, became champ at lhw even though he was ranked 7 or 8 at the time. should he above gus in the all-time list?

No the real question is, why should anyone be rated so high when they lost to three people on the list ... and never made Champion?

Feels like it's been a long time since this was discussed. There's been a lot of shuffling around and legacy stuff at LW in the last few years..
Khabib's picture perfect walk off, the continued elite showings and steady improvement of the Justin and Dustin's, the powerful emergence of Du Bronx, etc...

Tapology
View attachment 994731

Fight Matrix
View attachment 994732

I have a very hard time keeping Eddie above Dustin maybe even Justin at this point. I also am not sure if Benson cracks my top 5 as of right now.

Share your top 5
Eddie deserves his spot. He has won multiple major titles including the UFC and Bellator straps. He was also a top 10 lightweight for a decade.

No the real question is, why should anyone be rated so high when they lost to three people on the list ... and never made Champion?
that’s something to consider. but the fact remains, some relatively mediocre fighters have gotten to hold belts, while some of the best ever to fight never have that honor, for one reason or another.

Tapology
View attachment 994731

Fight Matrix
View attachment 994732

Share your top 5

No mcgregor? Must be new. Khabib needed 4rds vs a 2yr absent conor. Lucky it wasn't 2016.

Tapology
View attachment 994731

Fight Matrix
View attachment 994732

Share your top 5
Eddie has won an undisputed world title in every promotion he's been except the one he's been in.
I love Dustin but him never being a champ hurts his resume. There's no way on a mma LW hierarchy you can place Dustin above Eddie despite Eddie being 0-1-1 (should be 0-2. Eddie should've been DQed instead of NC) against Dustin. Eddie Alvarez is a top 5 mma LW. Dustin isn't even top 10 mma LW. And Eddie was fighting when the UFC didn't have a monopoly on talent. Every promotion had top guys

Yeah Khabib and BJ are locks. After them two, it gets murky though.

Even though Dustin has never been champion, he has better resumes than former LW champs like RDA, Eddie and Benson .

there’s no dimension where BJ is a lock. He had a great run early and that’s that. A lot of guys would lay the smack down on him. I don’t even think he could handle Conor prime for prime or Justin or dustin

shit I’d put Diaz over bj. BJ is overrated beyond belief. Again, I respect his career but he fought one dimensional guys. The best thing he did was lose to machida which is highly respectable.

Back