Andre "B-Side" Ward absolutely bombs on BET

So HBO look like geniuses for passing on this shit. Maybe they learned something for all that Berto money after all.

People will watch Manny in a tune up, or Cotto, GGG vs pretty much anybody, or even somebody like James Kirkland. Nobody wants or needs to see Ward vs a no hoper, it just isn't worth the time.

I consider myself a relatively hardcore boxing fan, I get BET, and I gave it a pass. fight somebody or retire.

I assumed that the BET network choice,was part of a longer term strategy to reintroduce Iron Ring with Ward and Jay Z as coaches.

Andre needs to move out to Vegas and intern at Floyd's business school.

Floyd's strategy wont work again.. it was a perfect storm..in fact, it was a mild wind to start.. as I've said a few times, I was at Mayweather vs. Castillo 2 and the tickets were only 40 bucks.. and they still had to curtain half the arena off because he couldn't fill it..Ward would need somebody to play the role of Oscar for him to push him into the light

Ward will never turn heel or become a trash talker.

lol when I mentioned Calzaghe I said Ottke too, was a bit of a joke.

Calzaghe is one of my favourite fighters but he had a long "domestic" reign which was heavily criticised in a division where Jones Jr was the true king. He was losing to Kessler early and made adjustments to take over, and against Hopkins he was 4 rounds down with one of those a 10-8 and managed to adjust to squeak past. Those are his best wins which puts Ward ahead I think.

I guess I just don't consider the division that strong compared to say welterweight.

RJJ had left the SMW division by the time Calzaghe beat Eubank; there was no overlap and RJJ was never the "true king" during calzaghe's ranked career. RJJ was never lineal at SMW either and, other than beating weight drained Toney, he accomplished exactly dick at SMW. Paz was average at best and I guess Malinga was decent. That's it.

they paid Ward 2 mils for this ?

Roc nation already in the red .

I'm totally confused.

How good do you think those 3 are? Winning a title doesn't automatically make you an ATG

thanks for finding all those quotes from Dawson, what a tool :( happy to admit I got it wroong

those three are all very high level fighters. Kessler is a top level fighter and was consistently ranked as a top 3 SMW throughout his career. Froch is so proven that discrediting him is just plain dumb. Abraham is a little less skilled, but he's been relevant for a long time, held a MW title for a while, has deafening power, an iron chin and some good wins. And Ward EMBARRASSED all three.

Bet hasn't been good since that Asian kid Jin murked everyone on 106 freestyle Fridays

Floyd's strategy wont work again.. it was a perfect storm..in fact, it was a mild wind to start.. as I've said a few times, I was at Mayweather vs. Castillo 2 and the tickets were only 40 bucks.. and they still had to curtain half the arena off because he couldn't fill it..Ward would need somebody to play the role of Oscar for him to push him into the light

well he turned down haymon, instead of bet he could of been on nbc

Haven't seen you round these parts in awhile, how you been, bruh?

haha, I'm actually turning 25 in August, so you're not too far off. I really mostly looked forward to Freestyle Fridays, tbh, that was good times. Me too about BET, had to scroll through the guide to find that shit, lol.

not bad man, in the process of moving across the country for a new job. How about you?

I usually just lurk nowadays but I am starting to post more again.

not bad man, in the process of moving across the country for a new job. How about you?

I usually just lurk nowadays but I am starting to post more again.

That must be a pain in the ass, my brother had to do the same a couple years back, Boston to Arizona. I've been doing pretty good, thanks.

Good to see you posting more. You still betting? I have no read on this Bradley/Vargas fight betting wise. Tim should make him look mediocre, imo, but Vargas has a propensity for getting close Dec's and Tim doesn't fight too smart at times. The fight seems like it's bound to go the distance easily, but the o/u and Dec lines are too juiced for me. Seems like a pass fight, but I have issues with not having a bit of action, lol.

That isnt what happened at all. Stop spouting bullshit.

Thats right though isn't it? Wasn't there talk of him signing with Haymon for while?

Thats right though isn't it? Wasn't there talk of him signing with Haymon for while?

Not the way he said it no, he never turned Haymon down.

They had mutual interest but Haymon wouldnt step in on Ward's contract mess with Goossen or buy them out.

Andre Ward is still relevant and very skilled. He's just been out of the public eye too long. Furthermore, every time there was an article written about him---it was negative. He just needs to stay busy, keep winning, and stay positive.

Andre Ward is still relevant and very skilled. He's just been out of the public eye too long. Furthermore, every time there was an article written about him---it was negative. He just needs to stay busy, keep winning, and stay positive.

This was just bad business is all... You fight on a segregated channel against somebody nobody knows with minimal press on a night where two very relevant fights are already happening on two different networks..not smart.. even the relevant fights had few viewers than they would if the promoters would have worked together...he'll have more viewers in his next fight if it's the only fight on that night and they move him to a non segregated channel...

Can anyone give some perspective of the business aspect of this event? What are the financial and promotional obligations of BET and Roc Nation with regard to paying involved parties, and how can they in turn profit? What needs to occur exactly, aside from the presumable obvious (lots of people watching), for them to turn a profit from thr event?

Can anyone give some perspective of the business aspect of this event? What are the financial and promotional obligations of BET and Roc Nation with regard to paying involved parties, and how can they in turn profit? What needs to occur exactly, aside from the presumable obvious (lots of people watching), for them to turn a profit from thr event?

Ticket sales and sponsor interest.

It is likely here that Roc paid a good amount of money for this fight to happen in a hope that they will turn bigger profits later from Ward being back in action. He needed to get rounds in and nothing like HBO was going to go for that.

Now that the ring rust has been knocked off they can look for an big promotion against DeGale or whatever other actual opponent is next.

That must be a pain in the ass, my brother had to do the same a couple years back, Boston to Arizona. I've been doing pretty good, thanks.

Good to see you posting more. You still betting? I have no read on this Bradley/Vargas fight betting wise. Tim should make him look mediocre, imo, but Vargas has a propensity for getting close Dec's and Tim doesn't fight too smart at times. The fight seems like it's bound to go the distance easily, but the o/u and Dec lines are too juiced for me. Seems like a pass fight, but I have issues with not having a bit of action, lol.

it is not fun, but it should be worth it, lol

I agree completely on the Vargas/Bradley analysis, I know I am going to watch it, so I am going to throw a small play on Vargas.

Ticket sales and sponsor interest.

It is likely here that Roc paid a good amount of money for this fight to happen in a hope that they will turn bigger profits later from Ward being back in action. He needed to get rounds in and nothing like HBO was going to go for that.

Now that the ring rust has been knocked off they can look for an big promotion against DeGale or whatever other actual opponent is next.

Ticket sales are a bit more tangible so I have a general understanding that they sell what they sell and divide proceeds per their agreement of the parties with interest. But as far as TV money... With the commercial and endorsement contracts in place in advance regardless of what kind of numbers it does, is it reasonable to assume that the show was profitable for Roc Nation/BET? I guess what I'm asking is if standard protocol dictates that the sponsors would have contingencies for payout to the network and thereby the promoter based on the viewership, or if they take a chance based on their own projections? It is the promoter's job to promote the event afterall. Or do the sponsors pay a flat fee for a 30 second spot, ring ad, etc?

Back