Andy Ruiz Blames Rematch Loss on Weight Gain

How significant was his weight gain?

• Total voters
The extra weight didn’t make much more difference to his mobility. The difference was Joshua’s patience and mobility

This! Ruiz did not really fought like an "out of shape" guy. He had cardio for 12 and despite how he looks that is only possible if you train very hard.

Maybe he would had have a better chance lighter but its doubtable. He was ready to capitalize on any opening and got some but none big enough as Joshua was on his bicycle.

"No excuses" makes tons of excuses

No shit Andy? Showing up out of shape has a detrimental effect on your performance? Wow.

He's a fuckin liar too. He said he did his own weigh in in the morning and he was 268. So he claims he gained 15lbs in the span of a day. He's not cutting water weight so he's literally claiming he gained 15lbs of non water weight in a day. Fuckin liar. His purse should be withheld.

If I was promoting a fight I'd have it in the clause that if he weighs over 270 his purse is getting withheld. It's disrespectful to the people who paid to watch him fight that he showed up so heavy.
Yeah, but you can't do that now lol that would be straight up illegal. Plus, there's no weight limit in heavyweight boxing, like there is in MMA.

5 10 300 lbs in the ring. Same or different strategy, doesn’t matter... damn shame.

images

This! Ruiz did not really fought like an "out of shape" guy. He had cardio for 12 and despite how he looks that is only possible if you train very hard.

Maybe he would had have a better chance lighter but its doubtable. He was ready to capitalize on any opening and got some but none big enough as Joshua was on his bicycle.
I thought he had a very low output compared to the first fight. He wasn't in his best shape for this fight, disappointing

I thought he had a very low output compared to the first fight. He wasn't in his best shape for this fight, disappointing
The output was also to do with how AJ fought. In the first fight AJ was willing to come forward and try to KO him, which led into Ruiz's counter boxing. AJ had a great gameplan last night, and Ruiz had way more success when AJ strayed away from that gameplan, like when he'd clinch up, put his hands down, or try boxing up close.

Last edited:
He's a fuckin liar too. He said he did his own weigh in in the morning and he was 268. So he claims he gained 15lbs in the span of a day. He's not cutting water weight so he's literally claiming he gained 15lbs of non water weight in a day. Fuckin liar. His purse should be withheld.

While I understand the sentiment, it is somewhat plausible his weight fluctuates that much in a given day. When your that heavy, those kind of swings can happen.

As an example, I will normally wake up in the low 270s, and it is not uncommon for me to weigh in the 280s by the end of the day. Two gallons of water, food etc. can pack on alot of scale weight real fast.

he didn’t think Joshua was gonna be that mobile. I agree, I still think he struggles to close the gap without the extra weight. Had Joshua fought his normal fight last night he’d have probably got stopped again in similar fashion

Ruiz looked unprepared and perplexed by Joshua's game plan. I guess he really thought it was going to be a repeat of the first fight. I though Ruiz didn't look like he was in top form but credit has to be given to Joshua for sticking with and executing the game plan. He looked a lot better in his movement. I'd be down for a third fight if ruiz can get a couple of good dominant wins. Though with how negatively this fight was received I don't see a third fight happening.

silver lining is that the man made his money. Hopefully he is smart about it.
touch of gray is he was immediately buying Rolls-Royces and shit. Not smart at all when you're likely to have just a few real paydays in the sport.

Youve got to be completely mental to suggest it didnt effect him. My god lol.

AJ just had a better game plan this time and seemed to have taken ruiz much more seriously. like some people are saying here, Ruiz still had cardio to last 12rounds. He just couldn't hit AJ cleanly that much.

Also listening to Joe Rogan's podcast, he said he had inside sources saying that AJ was indeed concussed prior to their first fight that's why AJ's father was very pissed at AJ's manager when they lost.

Back