Another big knife I made

Einar

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Made this beast of a camp chopper for a friend of mine as thanks for helping me set up my workshop.

OA: 21" (53cm), blade 15" (38cm) 1/4" spine (6.4mm) Nablo Spring steel, birch burl handle with steel pins. Treated with dark and light wood stain and linseed oil to bring out the patterns in the wood.

yYx5eTQ.jpg

Z1bDcxL.jpg

f1918aw.jpg

JuClb4t.jpg

Nice knife...wood use it to murder someone

Nice work. I remember in high school auto shop we had a whole month just learning how to sharpen lawnmower blades. It was such a massive pain in the ass. I can't imagine the craftsmanship it takes to produce a knife like that from scratch.

So you're a snackbar blacksmith

nice man,and your friend is Billy Sole from "Predator"?

Good stuff. My dad is a blacksmith. Made me a knife out of a piece of antler as the handle from the first deer I ever tagged.

Really nice TS!

What kind of steel do you use on your blades?

Made this beast of a camp chopper for a friend of mine as thanks for helping me set up my workshop.

OA: 21" (53cm), blade 15" (38cm) 1/4" spine (6.4mm) Nablo Spring steel, birch burl handle with steel pins. Treated with dark and light wood stain and linseed oil to bring out the patterns in the wood.

yYx5eTQ.jpg

Z1bDcxL.jpg

f1918aw.jpg

JuClb4t.jpg

Really nice TS!

What kind of steel do you use on your blades?

Thank you.

Its Nablo spring steel. Similar to american 1060, but with a bit more silicone, which makes it a little tougher. Not an ideal steel for, say, kitchen knives, but for big blades that need to be able to take a beating, its really good.

You're getting better. Keep up the good work.

Nice knife, if it performs as good as it it looks very good work.

Thank you.

Its Nablo spring steel. Similar to american 1060, but with a bit more silicone, which makes it a little tougher. Not an ideal steel for, say, kitchen knives, but for big blades that need to be able to take a beating, its really good.
Nice.

How does carbon steel patina compared to something like D2?

I love it!

When are you going to be on "Forged in Fire?" I love that show.

The handle looks awesome! I would have thought it was kirinite or something because of how well it came out.

Nice.

How does carbon steel patina compared to something like D2?

I've never used D2. It one of those really good steels that is very demanding with regards to correct temperature and soak times. I wouldnt be able to heat treat it properly with the equipment I have. It has a fair bit of chromium in it, which should make it stain resistant at least, while plain carbon steel like I use, rusts and patinas quite quickly. I havent played around with forced patinas like vinegar, beer or mustard soaks yet, but I plan to.

Did you just grind out the sreel, or did you forge it? What was your heat treat?

I love it!

When are you going to be on "Forged in Fire?" I love that show.

Lol, I love it too, but the challenges they get on that show are far beyond my skill level. Walter Sorrels was on there and had to make a knife out of a fistfull of loose ball bearings.

Back