Another BJJ doesn't work video

They were, specially holding someone down, leg locks by far Bjj is the most perficient art, and that’s due Bjj guard. Bjj has taken the leglock game to a whole another level.

now, holding someone down, yes is a big flaw, because we are so used to the other person just being comfortable on its back (which ironically is what made Bjj so proeficient on leglocks) Adcc rules have made no gi grappling advance in wrestling term immensely, will never ever get to be as good as pure wrestling though, but neither are catch Guys or any other art though.

I think getting up should get rewarded, I don’t know how, but if the other person gets up, and gets points, that would make the person on too be much more worry about holding the person down… like I said I don’t know how, but it could turn out to be beneficial to the art on the long run.

by the way, I hate guard pulling now, though I’m a guard puller my self now, I’m old and my knees are turn apart, but if I was a young guy coming up, I would’ve love to be proficient on stand up.

yeah I agree a sweep shouldn’t be worth two points into a guard unless your leads directly into side control or mount /north south or taking back .

That would at least be consistent with current ruleset that negates the importance of TDs and allows unpenalized guard pulls.

Realistically if we inserted a "riding time" rule into jiu jitsu competition the clock wouldn't start until after a guard pass. IBJJF rules are all about incentivizing the guard.

I think would be cool if they did it like a Judo rules osaekomi pin clock that only starts when you pass guard and adds 1 point per 10 seconds to max 3 points, and have it also apply for back mount. That way you have to truly maintain the position to earn your full 3 points for the guard pass. And of course you're in a great position to attempt subs during that time.

I was following you, but when you clarified that karate point fighting had an esoteric sometimes nonsensical rules system it just made it sound more and more like IBJJF competition.
It’s not really an esoteric rule set. Just stupid rules lol

So your YouTube video is true while another video is fake.
Checks out.
Is not my YouTube vid, is fighters talking what really happened, contradicting what superfood said.

you clearly didn’t watch the vid…

Is not my YouTube vid, is fighters talking what really happened, contradicting what superfood said.

you clearly didn’t watch the vid…
I’ve seen the video.

you’re just choosing who you want to believe, their accounts hold no more water than superfoot’s

by the way, I hate guard pulling now, though I’m a guard puller my self now, I’m old and my knees are turn apart, but if I was a young guy coming up, I would’ve love to be proficient on stand up.

I know that's what they are doing in the kid class at my gym and they should do it while they are so rubbery

But don't hate on the old guys, you can't hope to make 40 years olds and older to fall repeatedly and have somekind of wrestling/judo gains that will worth the injuries.

But for high level competitions, yeah sure, they should all be good at takedowns and the ruleset should always go towards as much action as possible and as less strategic stalling as possible.

I’ve seen the video.

you’re just choosing who you want to believe, their accounts hold no more water than superfoot’s

yeah the fighters who actually fought hold no more whater than a guy looking from the outside, sure.

I know that's what they are doing in the kid class at my gym and they should do it while they are so rubbery

But don't hate on the old guys, you can't hope to make 40 years olds and older to fall repeatedly and have somekind of wrestling/judo gains that will worth the injuries.

But for high level competitions, yeah sure, they should all be good at takedowns and the ruleset should always go towards as much action as possible and as less strategic stalling as possible.
Yes I’m on your side…I agree

Visiting from the striking side.
A lot of people are saying the same things like karate and Kung fu people tend to when representatives of their styles lose.
Things like “well he was only rolling with a white belt. Let’s see him try this on a blackbelt”

It’s really hard to say how much experience Jesse has in BJJ and if was fair to put him against a white belt in the first place.

now question.

how many BJJ blackbelts think they could win a white belt level karate point fighting match?

I think Jesse has more experience than he lets on, but I love the point he makes which is what if I do not want to go to the ground.

Reminds me of when Anderson fought Demain Maia and Maia wanted the fight to go to the ground but he couldn't make it happen

i liked the beginning of the video that shows he can't just stand up against the higher belts Lol Also, Jesse has been training his entire life, has a brother that is an MMA fighter, has made a video of himself training for a MMA fight which included ground fighting training/submission wrestling .. he's not a beginner in grappling. I'm not sure if this was to stir the pot so to speak or just being a troll

i liked the beginning of the video that shows he can't just stand up against the higher belts Lol Also, Jesse has been training his entire life, has a brother that is an MMA fighter, has made a video of himself training for a MMA fight which included ground fighting training/submission wrestling .. he's not a beginner in grappling. I'm not sure if this was to stir the pot so to speak or just being a troll
it was made to be humorous that’s why he included the little montage of the purple and brown belts having their way with him.

TBF that's the point of the OP video. Top position is where you have the most optionality to stand back up or engage on the ground. But to get there you need to take other guy down first or sweep him from guard. And you're not doing the latter if the dude refuses to go to the ground with you.

There's also the issue of mount, knee on belly, etc. only being effective in a 1 v 1 scenario. Staying on your feet allows you to selectively employ strikes or TDs while keeping it standing so you can GTFO via running.
But you don’t need to be able to do a takedown if you want to run away. Either they take you down, and you utilize bottom skills, or they don’t take you down and you run away.

this argument is really silly anyway, you’re forcing the idea that guard pullers need to be able to street fight. They don’t. This is a sport as this point, and they’re playing the way they want to play.

Also, picking white belts to represent bjj kinda sucks.

But you don’t need to be able to do a takedown if you want to run away. Either they take you down, and you utilize bottom skills, or they don’t take you down and you run away.

this argument is really silly anyway, you’re forcing the idea that guard pullers need to be able to street fight. They don’t. This is a sport as this point, and they’re playing the way they want to play.

Clearly you didn't bother reading the post I was responding to.

I have second hot take after my kesa gatame observarion earlier, lol: depending on former injuries and personal limitations, BJJ can be worse for older guys than judo/wrestling.

This is my case. I am an old fuck with lower back, hips and hamstrings flexibility issues, but thank God my knees are OK and I am not carrying major injuries.

As such, any elaborate guard play works poorly with me at best. At worst, the lumbar torsion and compression will simply blow my lower back. However, I have no problem with moderate judo and even wrestling. Of course, full blown judo or wrestling with a strong apanyent is not what I do but it's not so much a matter of impact as it is a matter of lacking explosivity as a 40+ dude.

I have second hot take after my kesa gatame observarion earlier, lol: depending on former injuries and personal limitations, BJJ can be worse for older guys than judo/wrestling.

This is my case. I am an old fuck with lower back, hips and hamstrings flexibility issues, but thank God my knees are OK and I am not carrying major injuries.

As such, any elaborate guard play works poorly with me at best. At worst, the lumbar torsion and compression will simply blow my lower back. However, I have no problem with moderate judo and even wrestling. Of course, full blown judo or wrestling with a strong apanyent is not what I do but it's not so much a matter of impact as it is a matter of lacking explosivity as a 40+ dude.

I believe you, I barely do anykind of closed guard because of that lumbar compression and hips problem you are talking about, it's all half guard and open guard for me, even DLR can give me hips issues if I'm too stubborn to let go of my DLR hook.

Let's just say that I use squeezing with my legs for specific occasions as I age, like for triangle finishes, else it's pretty much framing, hooks and motion

Clearly you didn't bother reading the post I was responding to.
I did, what if relevance am I missing? I was addressing your point that staying on your feet allows you to run. This doesn’t require takedown skills or striking skills. It brings us back full circle to what happens when you can’t run because someone has grabbed you, now you need to be able to grapple. Possibly off your back.

If you want to be best prepared for a street fight, do mma and be physically fit. There is no debate here. If you don’t have that option, bjj is the best single art. Training with self defense in mind is different than training for sport. Nothing wrong with training for sport.

I did, what if relevance am I missing? I was addressing your point that staying on your feet allows you to run. This doesn’t require takedown skills or striking skills. It brings us back full circle to what happens when you can’t run because someone has grabbed you, now you need to be able to grapple. Possibly off your back.

If you want to be best prepared for a street fight, do mma and be physically fit. There is no debate here. If you don’t have that option, bjj is the best single art. Training with self defense in mind is different than training for sport. Nothing wrong with training for sport.

Here's the post I was responding to:

"People assume bjj is all about playing off your back and then go on to explain why it won’t work in the streets, etc.

I’ve long said that mount, knee on belly, back mount, and other top positions are great for self defense. You can control the other guy, fire off strikes, look for chokes, detain the attacker, and most importantly you can quickly stand up and disengage"

And here's your response to my post:

I didn't assert that "guard pullers need to be able to street fight." The other poster did and I was responding to that. I also said that staying on your feet and getting out of there is generally the best option, which seems to be the same thing you're saying. If you're having to engage someone in a street fight, you likely done fucked up a long time ago.

Last edited:
Back