Media Anthony Smith: Jon Jones is very beatable

dumbest thing I've ever heard in a while and I read every word of it.

Basically, the gist of what he's saying is: Jones is the best, but he's not the best at any one thing.

He’s right but he’s phrasing it wrong. Jon Jones is a very complete fighter. He might not be an ace at anything (aside from pharmaceutical enhancements) but he’s a true jack of all trades packed in an atheltically superior body

His record says otherwise. Time makes everyone beatable though.

His record says otherwise. Time makes everyone beatable though.

Right but we know that Reyes actually beat him handily and now he's getting knocked out R1 on the undercard.

He’s basically calling Jon a Jack of all trades. And he’s right in that he’s not Izzy or Pereira standing, he doesn’t have Rumble/Ngannou power, he’s not Gordon Ryan on the ground, and he’s not an Olympian or D1 credentialed wrestler although he almost assuredly would have been the latter had he kept his shit together.

To those points, Smith is probably right. The same could be said for GSP or Mighty Mouse. They’ve most successfully synthesized their skill sets and physical gifts into rounded threats. Jones will never be in a fight where he can’t claim a marked advantage in at least one facet.

I could kick Jon Jones ass...

His striking, wrestling, BJJ, reach, strength, size, athleticism, and overall technique and fight IQ.

<{cum@me}>

Anthony is constantly a douche. One of the most envious jealous types in the sport. Not to mention a extreme victim personality. Seems like a hard guy to be around.

He's not wrong, but the same could be said about GSP. Nobody thinks GSP is the best boxer, wrestler, or submission grappler ever and there's plenty of guys he would lose to in those individual arts. Mixing them together to get an edge is what made GSP and Jones so hard to beat.

Anthony Smith is mostly right here.

People shouldn't even be upset, he's just stating the obvious.

I don't agree with every detail, but the main premise is correct.
But I bet Jon beats him in a bjj match too tbh. He might use wrestling influenced bjj but even with the restrictions imposed by bjj rules, I think Jon wins. I don't doubt he even outboxes Anthony today. Maybe not 3 yrs ago, mind you. Or maybe.

He might just be better than Anthony in each of those arenas tbh. Doesn't make either of them stellar, but I'm not sure there is an arena in which Anthony beats Jon.

Jones is very beatable and a few guys like Gustaffson, Reyes, Santos all actually already beat him.

But i don’t understand how a bum like Anthony Smith always talks about how all the fighters are terrible lol. He always downplays everything a fighter does and acts like he’d have beaten them all in different circumstances.He’s mediocre at best.

it is bizarre he sits there talking like an mma scientist who knows everything about jon jones and has all the answers when he was actually in the ring with jones and demonstrated that he had no idea how to beat him. clearly he doesnt actually understand jon very well and doesnt have the answers. he had a chance to demonstrate his theories and got embarrassed

smith is one of the more annoying mma personalities. he talks and carries himself like he is some kind of MMA genius and GOAT, always talking crap about something in an irritating way. he seems to think he is way more relevant than he actually is

Right but we know that Reyes actually beat him handily and now he's getting knocked out R1 on the undercard.
We know Reyes decided not to fight at the end of the fight because he thought he had it in the bag. He was wrong. Reyes lost something against Jan. I don't know if it was his confidence or what. But his last 3 losses are absolutely brutal with the Jiri ko being the shining light of the 3.

Floyd mayweather is very beatable. His jab right cross and defense individually suck, but when he puts it all together……

who is this guy again?

Jon Jones is beatable, very beatable,” Smith told Morning Kombat. “He’s not that good. Not individually. If you take his individual skill sets and you take them away, each one of those things are not a problem. It’s when you put them together, and he puts it into the full package it’s the problem. His fight IQ is not crazy high. He’s well-coached and he does what he’s told, very, very well. And that’s a credit to him. I’m not saying it as a negative, I don’t think it’s a negative. He’s a dog for sure.

“But if you take his boxing, if Jon and I were to just box, I don’t think he’s the G.O.A.T. Like I think we have a very competitive striking match. If we’re just doing no-gi jiu-jitsu, like I don’t think Jon Jones beats me in a jiu-jitsu match. Wrestling, he probably wins that. But it’s not the individual skill set that he has, it’s the way he puts it together.”

I wish he did aljo theatrics but Anthony is likeable and aljo isn't.

To the extent Smith's point is that with Jones the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, I agree. But that's a big part of what makes him very unbeatable imo.

"Jon Jones is very beatable"

To be fair that's what Jon says about his own wife.

Back