Any of you guys ever roll with a world class female?

DanaWhitesButler

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I haven't, and I am wondering what it would be like. I have rolled with some fairly good women but were not world class or even regionally successful competitors. The strength advantage I have just makes them completely not a threat, and I'm not a huge guy. I'm 180lbs about 15% bodyfat, and I lean out and compete at 170 lbs. These are relatively normal sized women - 5'6" or so, maybe 115 lbs. I mean, if I let them setup submissions, there's a danger they might finish them if I don't explode out of them. But if I go hard from the beginning (and I don't, because that's rude and pointless), they just have no chance. I wonder what a Ronda Rousey, Gabbi Garcia, Sara McMann, Miesha Tate, Cyborg, McKenzie Dern, etc. would feel like by comparison. I wonder if they would completely wreck me or if I would still win easily by strength and size advantage? Any of you guys have any experience rolling with such women or stories you care to share?

The first time I saw a female bantamweight UFC fighter, I was stuck by how huge she seemed compared to females who are not athletes but weigh 135 lbs. She did not look that much smaller than me at all because of her very muscular body composition and the fact that she probably cut 10 to 15 lbs of water to make 135. Obviously, the skill difference between me and such women are massive, so I always assumed they would smash me but I am still curious.

I never understand why people always feel the need to compare themselves to WMMA. Yes we get it, men are physically stronger than females. Shocking. Do these people also go to high schools and tell the kids there how much stronger they are?

On topic, I’ve grappled with a few and I’m a bit larger than you. Trust me, they’d catch you in an arm bar or triangle.

After rolling with Bea Mesquita my buddy told me that she has technique for days. She'd wreck your shit. Fo' Sho!

You sound insecure

And yes they'd wreck you

How do I sound insecure? I am just curious and not trying to measure myself against females. I compete enough against men thank you very fucking much, and I wouldn't have any problem losing to a female. My ego was beaten out of me years ago. Why does this subject trigger people so much?

I never understand why people always feel the need to compare themselves to WMMA. Yes we get it, men are physically stronger than females. Shocking. Do these people also go to high schools and tell the kids there how much stronger they are?

On topic, I’ve grappled with a few and I’m a bit larger than you. Trust me, they’d catch you in an arm bar or triangle.

Just curious to what extent their world class skills compensate for the size and strength disadvantage because I have never rolled with one that good and obviously men of that caliber best me easily. How is this even close to me going to schools and telling kids I am stronger than them?

Just curious to what extent their world class skills compensate for the size and strength disadvantage because I have never rolled with one that good and obviously men of that caliber best me easily. How is this even close to me going to schools and telling kids I am stronger than them?

As a grappler I’m sure you’ve been tapped out by smaller opponents before. This is really no different.

And as for the high school comment, you seem genuinely more curious I guess for the people here that are straight hostile towards women fighting I can’t help but draw similar parallels than going to a high school and challenging students there. You just don’t see this type of mentality in other sports.

As a grappler I’m sure you’ve been tapped out by smaller opponents before. This is really no different.

And as for the high school comment, you seem genuinely more curious I guess for the people here that are straight hostile towards women fighting I can’t help but draw similar parallels than going to a high school and challenging students there. You just don’t see this type of mentality in other sports.

I've absolutely been tapped by smaller opponents, and I have no problem with it or being tapped by females. I am always impressed when someone can overcome physical disadvantages through their skill, and I am just genuinely curious what it would be like to roll with these elite females. I'm sure I would lose, but it would not bother me at all. Just curious what they feel like in training because they're elite. Do they feel like a man who is 40 lbs smaller than me but 10 more years of experience? A 16 year old athletic boy almost through puberty? Or just completely different?

I've absolutely been tapped by smaller opponents, and I have no problem with it or being tapped by females. I am always impressed when someone can overcome physical disadvantages through their skill, and I am just genuinely curious what it would be like to roll with these elite females. I'm sure I would lose, but it would not bother me at all. Just curious what they feel like in training because they're elite. Do they feel like a man who is 40 lbs smaller than me but 10 more years of experience? A 16 year old athletic boy almost through puberty? Or just completely different?

I mean I guess I can compare it to grappling a kid who’s always a couple steps ahead of you if that’s what you’re looking for.

yeh, rolled with loads
tenor.gif

I train at a different place during the school year, so from September to April, and a couple years ago Miesha Tate and Brian Caraway showed up from the last week of August, right before I got there. I train at a small place so that was a very big deal and super disappointed I missed it.

I saw videos though, and she was wrecking

Luisa Monterio,Alexis Davis,Sara Diello(sp),Leslie Smith, and a few female World Champs at lower belts. The best female that i've rolled with was Alexis Davis. I lost alot of money betting on her to win that Ronda fight figuring that she would tap her if it went to the ground.I think she would win most Male Divisions at Blue Belt Adult.

^ I'm not really impressed with professional women beating up on beginner males in their sport/martial arts. That is supposed to happen.

when i was a bluebelt i rolled with a similar-sized female bluebelt who has medalled in many competitions... she is now a brownbelt... anyway when we sparred she gave me an honest run for my money. i was very impressed. much better than most guys.

If you don't make noob errors (say purple belt and above) then with that size difference I'd say you should have no problems. It's not just strength but the fact their skill is going to be largely focused on smaller people.

Would be cool to roll with Gabi, most other high level females are too tiny to have a proper competition intensity roll against them anyway.

Rolled with Dominyka Obelenyte when visiting Marcelo's gym. She's not that small, I was a 40yo 180lbs purple belt, I felt I was stronger than her, but she was way better, her guard was a nightmare, she was anticipating everything I tried to pass it, and she eventually choked my sorry ass. Very nice girl btw.
I also rolled with some other very good female competitors, but none of them was as threatening as she was.

175 pound+ black belt at my club and she gives me tough was rolls regularly. She is also a judo black belt and won many comps you can't play around and give her good positions and easily escape you got to be focused or she will smash

Back