Anybody feel like I do? (Kids these days vs old days)

I was completely left to my own devices assuming I didn't get into big trouble and I ate what was left for me for dinner. That was the entire scope of my mother's parenting. I never got into any real big trouble but I stopped going to school at one point, beyond a beating and a few days of feigned concern they never really checked up on me.

I don't mind that kind of parenting but don't complain when the kids turn out very differently than you expect. Or don't turn out at all for that matter.

She has a second son who's she's taken the absolute opposite approach to, I think she realized how poorly I was turning out, but she not good at it and she's too overbearing with him.

Last edited:
I don't know if things are worse now or is it a result of the information accessibility? Growing up it had to be a very big event to make the local news. Now any bad news from anywhere in the world is at our fingertips.

Kids can't walk to the park by themselves today or the parents will go to jail.

Lol no. Did it shock you?

But I did grab one once. My asshole brother told me too without warning me. So I grabbed it and could not let go, I stuck there shaking. My bro tackled me off it somehow.
I pissed on the electric fence as a dare. It felt like I got hit in the nuts with a skateboard, but I couldnt quit pissing on it for a second because I couldnt move. I dont advise.

You fuckers are all just bragging about having parents and shit. Fuckers.

I live across from an oval and see kids playing all the time.

But really depends where you live. Proper suburbia id imagine kids outside heaps. Cool places to live not so much.

More interesting I feel is the increased number of scheduled activities.
I had soccer practice once a week and a game on Saturday. Can't recall anything else
Oh scouts and cubs.

Lol no. Did it shock you?

But I did grab one once. My asshole brother told me too without warning me. So I grabbed it and could not let go, I stuck there shaking. My bro tackled me off it somehow.

At about 3am at my bucks my mate wondered off and got stuck on one. He didn't enjoy it.

I think most of the adults do big mistakes... Of course, it is worth to protect children from the outside world but there are borders. I can understand that nowadays it became more dangerous for the children to be alone outside, too many strangers on the street. Especially, it can be dangerous in these big cities... BUT it is not that dangerous as the Internet. Many children have so much free time for the internet and many parents do not have an understanding that these social networks can be the danger. I remember the story of my friend. She had a colleague and this colleague had a daughter around 12-13 years old. Her mum was trying to protect her from the world so much (like too much) that her daughter had only chance to spend time at home. She started to chat with a "girl" in the social network (do not remember which social network it was)... Somehow this "girl" asked for the location or the area where they lived and the daughter of this colleague gave it... Later this girl started to see the same man next to her house, he was checking at what time does she comes at home from the school. Luckily, the girl told the story to mum and the police found this man...
What I am trying to say that adults have to get more involved in their child "virtual world". I think it is more dangerous. These strange people on the internet are the smallest part of the danger. There are so many strange websites...Btw, do you know any good antivirus programs which include child security protection? Having younger brother and sister... have to control such things.

No way in fucking hell I would leave my kids home alone until they're 11-12 or so. I sure as fuck don't baby my boys, but they're nowhere near old enough to handle an emergency. My oldest sons intermediate school (3rd-5th) has an after school program where kids can stay and play dodge ball, kick ball, do homework, etc... until parents get off work.

A buddy and his wife decided to try leaving their kids home alone for a couple hours after school for a while, I think they were 11 and 8. Their house is back in the woods and one day he got a phone call from his daughter that someone was walking around outside and knocking on the door. As he was talking to her she let out an "Oh my God!" and the phone went dead. He was 2 hours away and couldn't get an answer when he called back.
A parent‘s nightmare.

my sister's kid is 5 and has a mobile phone with a GPS app. She can monitor where her kid is 24/7 and call/text etc.

I used to go roaming around AGES away from home and the rule was just 'be back before dark', which in the summer would be around 9pm with daylight savings.

Def. a huge generational swing in parenting with the advent of mobile technology.

Good to know! Thanks for sharing, will do the same for my sister and brother. Really liked this idea with "be back before dark". I also search antivirus programme to eliminate internet surfing... any ideas?

The main issue I see in children's development is technology. Every thing is instant gratification. No patience is ever developed. God forbid a kid would have to take a 15 minute car ride without some sort of device. Where does imagination come in? Conversation?

We lived in this neighborhood of duplexes and we were outside nearly every day stirring up something. Sports, bikes, adventures down at the creek. We'd play video games but it wasn't like now where you were inside 24/7 with a headset on. We were always going up to the school and hanging out after hours or playing hide and go seek or whatever it may be. There were two tiers of kids, the group that was my age and the group that was a few years younger. We would even hang out with the older teenagers all the time too. If I was cooped up in the house, I hated life. I also got to stay home alone starting in about 4th grade but I wasn't allowed to go outside until my mom got home.

On my street there is this kid a few houses down who used to always be outside playing when he was like 7. Once he turned about 9 or so, I barely ever saw him again. Now the only time I see him is when he's walking by my house looking at his cell phone. I was outside organizing the garage and he was kind of standing out front texting. I asked him how his mom was doing and he said fine. I grabbed my football and I was like hey man want to play catch? He just said "No" and stood there with his eyes glued to his phone.

There's also 2 brothers about two years apart across the street and I've been there since they were kids up until now that they're probably a sophomore and senior in high school. I think I've seen them outside playing once, ever, and that was because some other kid was there who was presumably a cousin and this kid looked like the kind of kid that was into sports so I think he drug them outside to throw the football around. Other than that, they aren't outside for any reason other than yard work and walking to and from the car.

My ex is a helicopter parent, so my sons are not like my sisters and I am. It sucks.

Kids now are certainly not as “strong” as the prior generations. They are sanitized and coddled far too much imo. Not enough responsibilty at a young age. They learn at a far too late stage in life, that you must take care of yourself for the most part.

Every generation has been saying this about the succeeding generation since humans developed language. And before that, they probably had cave paintings about it.

They're going to have a big wake up call when they enter the real world. Nobody gives a fuck about your gender studies nonsense. Show up on time, and keep your mouth shut.
Actually, a lot of them are in the work force and they do the same, CRY. Unfortunately, our lawmakers and leaders are siding with them. But then again, I live in CA so it might be different elsewhere.

Every generation has been saying this about the succeeding generation since humans developed language. And before that, they probably had cave paintings about it.
Maybe, but I’m living it now, and I’m seeing just how quickly it’s changing. The leap in technology is on another level than we have ever experienced before, and it seems the parents and kids are changing much faster too.

Nowadays children know how to use technologies from the early age... they somehow know what to do with a phone when they are only 3 years old... but still, I think the biggest danger happen around 10-14 years old when they started to be interested in these social networks and similar things. Btw, does someone use Avira? I read it has child safety children... any feedback?

Back